Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Pweller posted:

Is there any risk of enough heat building up to eventually/possibly light the paper up?
A paper case for electronics makes me really, really nervous.

Paper burns at about 451 F, or 230 C. I doubt you will get it that hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I ordered one on the 18th from Newark. It shipped today.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Is there a lamp dimmer module I could interface the RasPi with? Preferably UL certified. Google turns up lots of home-brew stuff, but I'd rather not burn my house down.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
What about a ultrasonic range sensor mounted on the ceiling?

Or use the upside down bottle, but put the float sensor in the bottle.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

The Automator posted:

The machine has to have a user interface. It has to include a card swiping mechanism, and it has to give the student money. I couldn't think of a better way for it to give out money than to have a couple bills in a tray that has a door in front of it. I mean, if its easy to spit out cash into a tray, I'm all ears, but I think a small sliding door to reveal cash would be easier.

I can rig up something visually close enough to a card reader to work. I've looked at card readers online and they run about $50 at the lowest end compared to under $10 for a motion sensor.

You keep saying motion sensor. A beam break sensor or micro switch will be much more reliable.

For the door, a solenoid might be easier to use than a motor. Turn on the solenoid, door is open. Turn off the solenoid, door is closed. With a motor, you have to worry about how long to run it for, what position it is in?, or use home sensors.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

keyvin posted:

Dug out my raspi to play with the latest weston tech demos. All I can say is wow.

Google isn't helping here. What is it?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Your first if doesn't have a matching fi.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Can you adjust the silence threshold in sox?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Mantle posted:

How does one access the data on the SD card without being able to boot into Linux? I ran into an issue recently where running an OpenELEC update script corrupted my Linux installation. I wasn't able to boot into Linux again, so the data was irrecoverable and I just reimaged the SD card.

Or was there another option?

Take the card out of the PI and put it into a card reader. You might need to boot your computer with a linux live CD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Check the server (probably apache) error log.