Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone order from buyapi.ca? I'd like to get a RPi3 and I'm in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Does anyone do a boot menu to load tftp images off a container on a NAS or something like that? Was thinking this might be a nice alternative to not have to change sd card boot images.

I was having a look at amiga emulators too, feeling nostalgic for some old games and demos.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

How useful is PXE boot if/when that becomes enabled?

I’ve only used PXE for fog imaging tools and have no idea if it is useable for a real OS

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

You can also have a Pi boot from SD card, but move the entire Root over to an external source. It needs the SD card in for turning on, but shouldn't be writing to it. Plus, it's reversible. :shrug:

I’ve done this in the past with atmel cpus and it works great. Just set the boot sd to read only and you’ll never have to worry about it!

Also makes it easy to backup/snapshot your filesystems.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Somewhat related the nvidia jetson Xavier has a x8 Gen4 (x16 mechanical) slot right on it.

It’s pretty nifty.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just encase it in a faraday cage, no wireless in or out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Chinese companies moving from ARM to RISC-V due to export bans etc makes me wonder what that may mean for risc-v security (or lack of it) going forward.

Like will that increase the backdoor potential of IoT devices sprinkled about if they are running some customized risc-v that is CCP approved.

Not that IoT stuff isn’t already hilariously insecure already.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

thehustler posted:

Finally finished this:

Cabling is a bit messy and my soldering needs a tad more work but I’m enjoying this a lot.

Not got time to do the code yet. Are there libraries to help with this kind of matrix? I’m going to 12 GPIO puns, no I2C or any kind of MC.

That’s really cool!

Setting up 2D arrays in python or something would probably be a good start point, and could use NumPy to perform matrix math if required.

I am also curious if there would be a library that would help with that now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

taqueso posted:

No you were supposed to do your homework and select a keyboard from the supported keyboard list (currently 4 items long)

All EOL'd 10 years ago too

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone run a Pi as a thin client for a VM via VNC or rdp?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

They could call it the A500 :)

That's already coming back!

https://www.pcmag.com/news/amiga-500-returns-next-year-as-mini-game-console-for-139

:haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Got my Zero W 2 today and it's pretty awesome, not going to lie.

Had a HELL of a time soldering headers on it though -- for whatever reason the solder just did NOT want to stick to the pads and I was terrified of overheating the board/components. Seemed to work in the end but phew.

Have a super nice wireless RaSCSI setup now. Not sure if I need to cool it with a fan but I guess it can't hurt.

Did you use some flux or flux core solder? Lead free stuff absolutely requires it whereas in the past you could get away without fluxing stuff up as much.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I specifically used lead solder but I'm not sure if there's something about the Pi that would require an excess of flux?

I did flux the pads before I went in but I definitely thing I could have done more.

Oh probably if you are mixing between lead and lead free (the board probably has lead free on the pads) it would need a higher iron temperature to melt the lead free. Could be just the added time let the lead free that was on the pads flow.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’m hoping when I am building up a system test lab the pikvms will be in production because they would be super useful for running automated testing on servers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Maybe a weird request, but does anyone know of a ribbon cable for the regular pi (40 pin header) that goes to a much smaller connector on the other side?

Looking at using RPis to control development boards in pcie form factor and would be nice to have something a bit denser so to not take up as much real estate. Realistically all that is required are the SPI, I2C, UART and a couple more gpios.

Been looking all over with no luck so far.

Alternatively something like a compute module with the dense b2b connectors but with power input and an RJ45 ethernet jack on the board would be cool too :haw: The RockPi S looks interesting for something small.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

ante posted:

Use individual female to female headers, then hot glue them into whatever square configuration you like.

Your request seems nebulous, as in, you don't quite know exactly what you want yet, so there won't really be any products that fit the bill.

Well, we know the interfaces we want but it's still in the spec design phase so form factor is open. Would probably get a cable custom made if there's no good options. It's the classic development card that has to have everything and the kitchen sink on it but also be able to sell it to customers as a reference design so can't stick too much on the board, otherwise I would just push for a compute module and then put the RJ45 on the main board.

Simplest solution is just use a RPi 4B, 40 pin header with female header on the pcie and plug the card in directly (like a really big hat) but not sure yet if we'll have the space for that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I just moved my pihole over to a container on my nas, was so easy to just save settings and reapply (although strangely the dhcp settings did not cone over).

Now I need to think of what to do with this spare pi! One thing I was thinking about was get familiar with network booting so I don’t have to use sd cards, I think a netboot.xyz container perhaps.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I am a big fan of PXE booting them. If you have a NAS that does NFS it is pretty slick. Needs a cabled connection though, but if you can, I highly recommend it.

I am going to try to figure this out, I think probably using the netboot.xyz container on my unraid machine. Maybe something to do if I'm bored on the weekend.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Awesome! Thanks for posting that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Saw the BliKVM video on Geerling’s video feed, and that is perfect for using as lab host controllers. Does anyone know if pikvm install supports containers? I would run that for test scripts.

Seems like the hardest part will be finding a compute module though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone ever use a Tiny Pilot KVM (https://tinypilotkvm.com/)?

Looking to get an IP enabled KVM for work and looks like a good option, with it being plug and play with no fiddling around required. I won't be the one to maintain it so it can't be super linux complex etc.

Not exactly cheap by Pi standards ($399 for the pi and enclosure with hdmi input) but the ease of getting it running plus the fact it is actually available to purchase are big plusses

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

pzy posted:

I haven't tried Tiny Pilot but I swear by PiKVM:

https://pikvm.org

You can buy assembled ones too that include the Pi4:

https://www.pishop.us/product/pikvm-v3-pre-assembled/

Oh nice, I had thought the pikvm hats were just a one off kickstarter thingie. There is also one that takes a CM4 you can buy from aliexpress.

I’ve ordered one of the tiny pilot ones to try out, possibly will get one of those assembled pikvm to compare. This will be for remote controlling systems and may need some out of band stuff like external relays for power and reset along with voltage monitoring, so better than any of the other ip based kvms I have seen..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That's pretty neat. I like on the aliexpress page the description, very honest especially this part:

quote:

shortcoming
Performance garbage, single core, very cardy to use
Some software porting risc-v has wonderful bugs
No GPU, very laggy

"wonderful bugs", heh

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hadlock posted:

This just popped up in my news feed

https://github.com/kingyoPiyo/Pico-10BASE-T

Kind of neat. I guess it can emit valid UDP packets over cat5

I love this, very cool!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hadlock posted:

If I were single and 22 again, I would be eyeball deep in the RISC-V community right now, absolutely fantastic chance to become an Authority in new tech, set yourself up as a researcher in residence at Intel or whatever in a couple of years.

:agreed: it really seems poised to take off with SoCs of all type putting them in for things like running the high speed PHYs and peripheral interfaces.

And then it's going to really start pushing out ARMs for the main CPUs for a lot of things! Huge growth potential.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

There was a goon that was posting about his experiences with a RISC-V board, I’m hoping for a whole viable ecosystem of those someday.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

It's too late, I already bridged the 3.3 and 5v pins.

Are you my coworker

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

tuyop posted:

From this I think I should wire Pin 36 to 3.3V on the GY-86, SCL to Pin 31, SDA to Pin 32 and INTA to any GPIO pin, say Pin 29.

Would that work?

I may have missed a reason but why were you connecting the SCL on one side to SDA on the other and vice versa?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yah those connectors are press fit on the ribbon cable, very easy to make your own.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

cruft posted:

I have a confession to make to the thread. I've caved and bought a ZimaBoard so I can run Flatcar Container Linux and get hardware video transcoding.

I'm sorry, thread. The RPi4 was a real champ, but at the end of the day, it's still just a little too weird for my use case.

This rules, I have been kind of looking for a NUC-lite that is beefier than a RPi for a lot of edge connectivity things. I like how it has SATA built in!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Question for anyone who maintains a bunch of Pis..

We have a bunch of Pis deployed as USB UART <-> Ethernet (and some other minor function) devices for test setups. The Pis are not able to access the internet. What would be the best way of doing updates on these?

- Some kind of ansible playbook that does offline installs on .deb files
- Similar to above but do a reverse ssh tunnel from the Pi to a machine that is internet connected to grab all the apt-get stuff (IT might frown on this)
- Just buck up and update all the microSD cards manually
- other?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

VictualSquid posted:

Are they connected to an intranet? If yes, you could just setup a local mirror of the raspibian repositories and point your updater to that.

Yeah they are accessible on an intranet, is pointing to a file share good enough? I will have to check if they can mount.

I would also like to move to either making the boot section read only and mounting network folders as file system or net booting the whole thing at some point too.

I’ll look into how to mirror the repository locally, thanks!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Boner Wad posted:

Can you use a proxy server to download the files?

I think so, I have a server which seems to have some external net access. It may have some things limited like it seems like it can’t access stuff on 443, so perhaps IT has restricted its ports.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Cool thanks for that! I will try fiddling around with that!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

We deploy rpis in a lab to act as control/uart interfaces to test systems and I continually have to insist that we NOT attach them to the web enabled power supply because if people are just shutting them off willy nilly that is gonna gently caress the sd cards really quickly.

I still get pushback and a lot of “what if we need to power cycle them remotely??” To which I say well fine do what you want just understand you will have to come in to replace the the sd cards then.

I would like to move to a pxe netboot but our IT has things far too locked down to even attempt that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

cruft posted:

Is the concern the media, or the filesystem?

Either way, if they're forbidding netbooting (why...) somebody's going to have to be physically present when things go to hell. I'm just curious about the failure scenario here. My current understanding, which could be wrong, is that the card itself doesn't care when you shut off power, but the filesystem 100% cares.

Yeah, filesystem, I got em twisted. Corrupting the card will cause someone to have to go in and swap.

My argument to not being able to switch off the power to the pi is that if os restart doesn’t work you need to go in anyway, and it removes the possibility that someone accidentally powers off an outlet with a running pi on it. It’s still mildly chaotic in the lab so this can happen. I think perhaps setting up the web power to lock certain ports might be a good option too but overall it just doesn’t seem necessary to have that control over the power input.

As for the lack of netboot it’s a whole thing, IT is ridiculous. I might be able to get them to allow it to a staging server. I have given up trying to have something like FOG for reimaging servers because that requires some dhcp control iirc and that’s not gon happen!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I want to convert all our Pis to read only file system on the SD card but it's not currently my main task more of a "nice to do, someday" or something to put a co-op on if we ever hire one

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I got some cheap PoE splitters with USB-C and it owns not having to have a wallwart for the pi (or have to bother with the hat as all the pis were already in small cases that wouldn't fit hats)

Only drawback is only 100Mbit but eh should be fine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

If you have a PoE switch there are some inexpensive ethernet/usb-c splitters that work pretty good.

the basic 5V/2.4A ones seem to work fine for our pretty basic needs (just a UART relay really)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I order from canakit for work stuff, basically the main option. Their S&H costs are ridiculous BUT it does arrive extremely quickly (shipped to BC)