Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone built a print server with a pi? I finally came up with a use case where it would make more sense than a used corporate box, and it seems like it should work ok, although getting the snowflake Konica Minolta drivers could be a pain in the rear end.

What's the oldest/cheapest model that would do the job reasonably? Some of the new ones are like a hundred bucks and definitely not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've been streaming video to my htpc (i5 windows box so YMMV) with Kodi with almost no issues over WiFi (mostly it's the router/wifi card glitching out). Seeking can indeed take a bit longer but not too bad. If you can have a gigabit link or even just decent AC (mine is through like 4 brick walls) it should work fine.

Discussion Quorum posted:

Basically this

I use a Pi Zero W with a microUSB-to-printer cable and it's adequate for two people's infrequent printing needs. It does take a while to get spun up on larger documents (especially image-based PDFs), and while it hasn't straight up choked yet, it probably would if I fed it a large scan. I'm only using it because it's what I had on hand, and sooner or later I'll drop $20 on a 3A+, or retire one of my 3B+ from BOINC duty after this CoViD stuff is over.
I'm a big fan of using the minimum necessary to get the job done (sadly an ESP32 won't run CUPS, or I'd go with that) so the Zero is definitely the right price and form-factor. Doesn't have ethernet but I guess for very occasional printing WiFi will do ok and I can live if it takes a bit longer since I don't print that much or frequently anyway.

One thing I never tried is printing directly from a phone. Can Android use a network printer nowadays, or is the Cloud printing poo poo the only way to make that work? That would require running X and Chrome, right? That could be an issue on the Zero.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 18, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa, that's cool. The last time I tired it, Cloud printing was pretty much the only way but now I can apparently install plugins for both Konica Minolta and Samsung printers. I'm not super optimistic about this working with my 10+ y.o. USB-only garbage but that's pretty neat anyway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There are several windows version that run on Arm at this point. There's that RT thing that I died a few years ago with the lovely tablets it came on, and now I think they made the full version run on Arm too for another go at this. The major change is that they're supposed to have an x86 emulator built in for everything not Arm native.

Practically, I've no idea if either of these will work on a Pi but it could be worth looking into it further.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
FWIIW, I tried to "upgrade" my 85 year old grandfather from an old Android tablet to ChromeOS running on a ThinkPad i had around and failed completely. I think the touch stuff is just easier to pick up than mousing. And a lot of Chrome stuff just felt jamky as gently caress because everything had to be basically bolted on to Chrome otherwise you're SoL.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 25, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
E: well never mind then, the Pi probably won't be the limiting factor in that case

How big is the solar setup going to be? A microcontroller like ESP8266/32 could do this with a much smaller power consumption which would be very important to keep it running during winters/lovely weather, but if you're planning to run a water heater it'd have to be pretty huge anyway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is there such a thing as a Pi Zero with PoE, even as a shady clone board? I haven't seen anything official but just in case someone came across such a device. The alternative is Zero W and separate power, which would work of course but being able to plug in one cable and forget about it forever would be great.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just a quick sanity check... the Pi Zero/W only have one functional USB port, right? In the pictures they have two so I almost bought the regular Zero because I thought I could hook up a printer and ethernet adapter, but it seems like one is just a dummy power port.

I have a USB hub around somewhere, does it work fine with a hub in practice? The doc says this:

quote:

4. Single-TT USB hubs
USB 2.0 and 3.0 hubs have a mechanism for talking to full- or low-speed devices connected to their downstream ports called a Transaction Translator. This device buffers high-speed requests from the host (i.e. the Pi) and transmits them at full- or low-speed to the downstream device. Two configurations of hub are allowed by the USB specification: Single-TT (one TT for all ports) and Multi-TT (one TT per port).
Because of the OTG hardware limitations, if too many full- or low-speed devices are plugged into a single-TT hub, unreliable operation of the devices may occur. It is recommended to use a Multi-TT hub to interface with multiple lower-speed devices.
As a workaround, spread lower-speed devices out between the Pi's own USB port and the single-TT hub.
I guess both the printer and ehternet would be High speed, in which case it should be fine then? But if they're not, I might be hosed? Ugh, I just might be better off with WiFi after all.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Great, thanks for clarifying this. I thought I'd be able to get away with the Zero and two usb devices but yeah either a normal Pi or a W would make more sense than this contraption.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the suggestions everyone re. Pi and printing. I got my Zero W in the mail today and I just printed my first page wirelessly after about two hours of dicking around. On Android, at least, it works. On Windows, the printer is initially found, but when I click "Add", after a moment it says "Status unavailable" and nothing happens. When I refresh it, the printer doesn't get discovered any more. Weird (and makes the whole thing useless :v:) but I'll leave it for now.

E: It seems to work if I add it manually though IPP, huh.

I Demand Food posted:

Working on an application based on a Pi Zero and we need a dual band Wi-Fi USB dongle, but it seems like all of the ones that work with Linux are 3-4 inches long, whereas all of the ones that are less than a half inch or so long won't work with Linux and only have Windows or iOS drivers available. Am I missing something?
I'm also having problems with my dongle being too long but so far there's no solution

No, you're not missing anything, it probably depends on the chpset and the cheaper/shittier ones have windows drivers. I've been using an older version of this thing, it's pretty big too: https://www.fasttech.com/product/9656497-mantistek-dual-band-1200mbps-wireless-usb-3-0-lan

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 15, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If I'm understanding your setup correctly, you should be still able to access the camera if it's connected to your iphone hotspot. But maybe it's an iphone thing.

The way I usually do with my ESPs (cameras or otherwise) is that they act as the access point, and I connect to them with my phone/laptop whenever needed.Then it's not dependent on any existing infrastructure. I don't know how exactly it's done with the Pi, but after a quick search it should be possible.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What would be the benefit of 64 bit for the typical use cases for a pi? It'd be great to have it but I'm not surprised it's not a priority for them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ah, well then. E: although this raises more questions really, I guess it could be great for a database server

Wibla posted:

You need more than 4 billion digits of Pi?

You'd need a whole cluster of these probably!

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 28, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've been running a cups/pihole setup off an ancient 4gb sd card I found and although i have it imaged on my PC, I'm worried it's going to poo poo itself at any moment. It seems like it's possible to set everything up in purely read-only mode though so that's what I'm going to try I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/325...earchweb201603_

It keeps track of total mah but there's no way to log the power over time. Some of the fancier ones have BT connectivity so you should be able to log it on the PC: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...earchweb201603_
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...earchweb201603_

Depending on what else you have you could use a bench power supply or a multimeter in series or something. Or DIY with an arduino :)