Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
drat it! The limited-run highly anticipated cheap gadget for nerds sold out quickly! Who would have guessed?

But yeah, sucks to have missed it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Stupid question: because of the GPIO header, the Raspberry Pi can do anything an Arduino can? Or does the Arduino have some other additional features?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

rhag posted:

Look at linux: a superior OS in every way (though with win7 MS has made a good OS) for 20 years now, with a healthy ecosystem, bazillions of apps, and still has no decent representation on the desktop (it has significant % in the mobile space and servers).

Linux has gotten a ton of enterprise-funded development that's led to enterprise-minded optimizations. In comparison, the desktop experience has lagged behind explicitly consumer-oriented systems like Windows and OS X. Many, many common desktop tasks like video editing, consumer media creation, and web media are served better by Windows and better still by OS X. With that consumer familiarity comes business purchases for client PCs to minimize non-job-duties training.

quote:

Microsoft, starting with the DOS era, until now was always behind, and yet everyone uses/used them.

"Everyone uses/used them" leads to inherent value of sticking with the ecosystem. You've got investment in software (both producing and buying it), hardware compatibility, particular competitive advantages, and knowing how the heck to use the system. I think you overestimate how into the nuts and bolts the average user is willing or even able to get, given all the other demands of life on their time and attention.

quote:

The Apple ecosystem, the same thing. Zero technical superiority (software standpoint), decent machines (mobile and not so mobile computers), draconian rules of who can do what on their systems, yet bazillions of $ in marketing gave them complete and total dominance over the mobile space and gained a lot in the desktop space as well.

OS X is Unix under the hood, you know that, right? There are lots and lots of reasons an OS afficionado can call it a technically superior operating system. And whether or not you personally like Mac computers, they are exceptionally well-put-together machines, far beyond "decent." The draconian UI and UE guidelines are an active design decision, and judging by their market success, people really want an ecosystem that trades flexibility for ease of use and task-focused design.

The marketing is secondary. It would have fallen apart had Apple not had legitimately differentiated products that remained useful and felt well-designed once the hype and the thrill of new ownership wore off.

Plus, there's some history you're missing here. The early Apple computers were legitimately revolutionary feats of engineering that helped shape the transition from a hobbyist market to a personal computer market, the Apple I especially, though the Apple II introduced the switching power supply, now ubiquitous, to computing. Same for the Macintosh - sure, the GUI wasn't a new idea per se, but Apple executed it incredibly well in a way that was a real game-changer.

I was born after all this happened; I can easily see how judging Apple by the Apple of the 90s could lead you to become focused on a market obsessed with Apple for what seems to be no good reason. That was the era where PC computing caught up to and began to surpass Apple, where the early days of OS X weren't obviously compelling, and how Apple's various mobile designs weren't obviously valuable from the point of view of somebody who had seen many smartphones before.

Apple seemed like it was packaging inferior hardware in fancy design. Well, yeah, arguably this is so, sometimes unambiguously. But they weren't really selling the hardware; they were selling the design. That design was a combination of the software and the hardware it ran on, and you didn't really get that anywhere else at the time. The PC market was driven more by improving benchmark performance than any drive towards improving user experience.

quote:

The RPi is awesome for hackers, and will be awesome for schools (maybe, some of them seem to prefer to throw $ on apple stuff).

Apple gives big discounts for educational buyers, pretty much erasing the "Apple tax" and then some on most bread-and-butter machines. It's not as egregious a purchasing decision as you might think.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 5, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
On one hand, it makes perfect sense given market economics. On the other hand, "I AM SO loving EXCITED ABOUT A $35 COMPUTER THAT I WILL PAY OVER $100 FOR ONE!"

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

spog posted:

Bit of derail here, but is there an Arduino thread on the forums? I fancy screwing about with flashing LEDS, etc?

Looks like DIY and Hobbies has an electronics megathread.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Paris Hilton's pocket dogs.

Between stupid and Paris Hilton, I'm actually not sure where that falls.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
So, like, 30% Paris?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
E: What the... wrong thread.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

the nicker posted:

Noob electronics question. I'm using my pi for home security type stuff. Right now I've got two motion sensors wired in. - they're the basic cheap PIR sensors and because I've got them outside I need to upgrade them significantly to eliminate false alarms. The potential problem I see is power, though. My current sensors only use 10ma max (at 12v). I've got some 5v->12v converters wired in with the sensors, which if my calculations are correct (and they may not be) works out to about 23ma at 5v, so I'm drawing less than 50ma total with the two sensors. The new sensors I'm looking at use a lot more power, up to 62ma at 12v (or 150ma at 5v). That's 300ma total, which I believe is too much. Especially since I've got other things drawing power as well (right now just my remote gate opener, I'm honestly not sure how much power it pulls but it's working right now).

So, I think I need a separate power supply for the sensors. A 12v supply would be nice since it eliminates the need for the voltage converter things. Will that work? Will I still be able to read the alarm signal on my GPIO pins, or do the power supply and raspberry pi need to share a common ground? Is it just as simple as connecting the grounds together? Seems like that could be dangerous. I've no idea what I'm doing.

Power and signal are entirely separate and there's no problem getting your +5V and +12V and +3.3V from entirely different sources, as long as you make sure nothing's cross-wired and about to release magic blue smoke. The only potential issue is if you're using a single-wire signal that relies on ground, but that's simple, because you can bridge the ground no problem between 5V and 12V. In fact, shared ground is probably the better idea.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 13, 2013

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I don't think so, but my knowledge here is kinda derivative. Shared ground is extremely common in multi-rail PSU design and tends to alleviate a number of issues when working with multiple voltages. If you know that your two power sources will have wildly different ground states, then bridging might indeed cause problems, but that shouldn't be the case - for low voltages and currents like these, "near zero" will be pretty darn well near zero.

Might be best to head to the electronics thread in CC -> DIY to ask.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
A little more to elucidate: Wayland is the name of the project and API. Weston is a reference implementation of the Wayland compositor. Wayland = framework, Weston = example software.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I have a problem I wonder if a Pi would solve. I have a USB-attached cable TV tuner, and the computer is in the wrong room to use it. If I fit up my Pi with the tuner, is there software available to capture the TV? Playback is not necessary - I just want it to tune, grab the video stream, and shuffle it off to network-attached storage.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
What kind of wireless? Chances are it's something that wouldn't be too hard to hijack if you had a proper receiver. Then repeat it over WiFi.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
No. The MicroUSB port only carries power. There are no connections to pass the Pi as a USB device. As well, a standard server only has USB host ports, so connecting a Pi's full-size USB ports to the PC's USB ports will cause an electrical short and possibly permanently damage one or the other device.

If you want to share the server's network, put a spare NIC in the server, connect the Pi with a proper ethernet or crossover cable, and have the server do the routing or bridging of the connection.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
At $100 for the screen, that's about the cost where you might as well get a 1st gen Nexus 7 or whatnot and just use that for your terminal. At cheaper price points, one option that came up a lot for me was a car backup camera monitor - costs $20-$30 for a small screen (3 to 7 inches), 360 or 480 pixels across, with a composite connector. Nothing fancy, but sufficient for a small display terminal.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
No, I mean just using the Nexus. Stick widgets on a home screen, or root it and upload a teeny app that just displays a webpage.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I guess, if you wanted to shoehorn the Pi in, but what I'm saying is that the "home dashboard" idea doesn't need more than one device, and a Nexus does all needed and then some in a nice, premade package.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
If you made a weatherstation, yeah, that's what you'd do, but the project was talking about yanking weather info from a website or via API.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Beaglebone black is more powerful, but its HDMI output is very limited on resolutions. It does, IIRC, 1280x720 very well, but any display with more pixels has to handle scaling by itself.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I'm working on a project that needs an awkward amount of 5V power. I need to power a B+ Pi, an Arduino, two HDMI gizmos, and a string of LEDs - about 6 A total plugged into a combination of barrel connectors and USB ports. Right now I can do it in three wall sockets - two wall warts and a phone charge station with four USB ports (two 2.1A, two 1A). What's the best way to get this down to one socket, preferably efficiently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Is it wrong that, despite this being a design flaw, I think it's pretty awesome?