Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've been thinking about getting a Raspberry Pi 4 (probably 8 GB), mostly just to play around with it as a curiosity, and I wanted to get a sanity-check if what I'm planning is going to work.

I'm going to buy a kit that includes

the Pi itself
a plastic case for it
a USB-C power supply
a micro-HDMI-to-standard-HDMI cable
a 16 GB microSD card
some aluminium heatsinks for the Pi

and I'm also planning to buy, separately, a microSD reader that plugs into a USB slot, so that I can work with the microSD card from my desktop

I'm going to use balenaEtcher to put a Lubuntu image (it's the Linux distro I'm most familiar/comfortable with) on the microSD card through my Windows desktop
plug the microSD card into the Pi
plug a keyboard and a mouse into the USB slots
plug the micro-HDMI end into the Pi, and the standard HDMI end into a monitor
plug the power supply into the USB-C slot and the other end into an electrical socket
plug the Pi into my internet router with a LAN cable

and then that should give me a working computer with a desktop interface, right?

a couple of questions:

how do I turn it on?
does the Pi have wifi capability out-of-the-box? (if not I also have a USB wifi adapter)
since I assume the SD card is going to be the primary storage of the thing, can I get/use a larger microSD card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU