Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Ordered some gear for my Pi; HDMI cables and SD cards, should arrive within the week.

Also ordering a second Pi now that I'll get double the RAM, happy I didn't buy two at once. Including some cases as well. It'll take six weeks to arrive.

Turning my first Pi into a very basic announcement system. It should be able to play sound files and text to speech, all triggered by a web application. I can then hook it up to, say, my e-mail and have it make noise and summarize the message over TTS. Or I can have the Nagios monitoring system at work send a signal when something goes down. And finally, I can let select people use it as a means to get my attention by pressing some buttons on a website.

I'm also curious to see how much of a gaming platform the Pi can be, because of their low price it's easy enough to host a LAN party with some of these. The selection of games remains limited but there are plenty of awesome games that don't need a lot of power, like OpenTTD. I wonder how well DosBOX and other emulators will run on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU