Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I tried out retropie not that long ago and it was pretty straightforward. It's easy to get up and running and test it out, easy to use... Seems like a solid option based on what you've said. Maybe check to see what controller they have, and if it's supported? Other than that I say go for it.

edit: I didn't do any handheld stuff, just pi into TV/monitor + controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Guix doesn't ship with proprietary software or firmware. You might struggle with the RPI4 if you go with that.

I've used both Alpine and NixOS, but I haven't tried Alpine set up with root read-only. Reading that guide it seems like a bit of work. I would rather go with Nix because it is set up to do this right out of the box. It's also had some changes to make it more user friendly in recent updates.