Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Klyith posted:

My favorite thing about psychoacoustics and all this stuff is when you realize just how amazingly crap and easy to fool our sense of hearing is. Early human evolution definitely put a priority on sight & touch, and I get the feeling any time evolution asked "how do we get more brain space for all this visual cortex?" the answer was "gently caress ears". And then we cannibalized like half of the auditory area for speech.

If cats & dogs were the ones buying hifi sets they'd be amazing snobs about it, and probably wouldn't be fooled by raising the volume a click.

That's not true! Humans have much, much better directional hearing perception than almost any other animals. Top scores go to humans, elephants, and barn owls. Humans are incredibly amazing at localizing sounds.

You know how someone could throw their keys, and you'd immediately know where they landed from the sound? Most animals can't do that. In a carefully controlled lab setting, humans can locate the source of a sound within 1 degree. Cats and dogs can only locate sounds to like 30 degrees. They can swivel their ears around, and they can hear quiet (and ultrasonic) sounds, but they aren't actually that good at perceiving sound direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Yeah, they created a new USB-C PD 5V/250MA profile for it.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Zero-size SBCs with not-Broadcom wifi?

I'm looking for something in a RPi Zero form factor, with a well-supported wifi chip and a U.FL or SMA connector for an external antenna. The RPi Zero 2 W fails on both these grounds, so I'm not that excited about using it. Are there boards from other companies that are similar size, with non-Broadcom wifi?

I don't need good range or throughput on the wifi, I just need the connector so I can get the antenna outside the metal enclosure.

I would like to run OpenWRT (even though this won't be running as an AP).

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

OK, both those appear to use the AP6212 wifi module, which I think has Broadcom guts. But hearing that they really do work on an open source OS like OpenWRT is good news. That opens up a lot of not-RPi boards for me to look at. Thanks!

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Oh! I hadn't seen that site before. It looks useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Dylan16807 posted:

It needs its power supply to explicitly offer that profile by default, which as far as I'm aware roughly nothing does.

Allow me to direct your attention to the official Raspberry Pi USB power supply, now available for you to buy. This is the 3rd official Raspberry Pi brand USB power supply released by the Foundation. Collect all three!