Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Brady posted:

Just installed Raspbian via NOOBS and for some reason the GUI takes up more room than the visible screen, ie: my icons and "taskbar" are mostly out of view. I was able to check the display settings and it's showing 1080x1920 with no other options other than "Auto", which sets it to 1080x1920 anyway.

I'm outputting via HDMI to my TV (yes, it's 1080p).

Any ideas?
Does the TV have settings for overscan? 'Cause that's probably what's going on.

It's possible you can't influence this directly, but that specifying in the TV's settings that you're using the hdmi input for a "pc" fixes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

However I really can't find anything that has all of:
* Classic "TV remote like" shape
* Easy to access and use D-Pad with enter key in the centre
* Easy to reach play/pause and back buttons
* Not much else, especially not when they restrict or clutter access to the above. For the rare times I need it, I can plug a keyboard in.
I don't even have a Raspberry Pi, but for some reason I was intrigued and I started googling this stuff. There are really nice remote controls that fit your requirements, but they are all IR (like the Apple, XBOX One or Zune remote).

Anyway, I came across Flirc, an IR receiver you can program to transmit keystrokes over usb. This article summarizes it better than their own website imho.

Seems like a neat/flexible solution. It's on Amazon too if that lends it a bit more credibility than just a random niche webshop.

And then there exist mini keyboard/touchpad/simple ir remote combos (Rii K25, iPazzport), though using those together with the Flirc will use up two usb ports obviously.

I have not owned any of these things, so don't see this as a recommendation, but more as some poo poo you can google reviews for or something.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Ah, man. From your requirements ("not much else") I thought ultra minimalism was pretty important.

What you show there is a windows media center type of remote. Throwing that in Amazon brings you a couple of similar things with an USB IR receiver, like this, this or this and then a bunch of them (way) over $30.

I'm absolutely guessing that all WMC certified remotes work in the same way.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

component ≠ composite

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Could you do homemade VR glasses by driving two small displays maybe?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Maybe someone in the request a tiny app thread thinks this is a fun project.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

As long as the crappy ublock exists, better refer to the proper ublock origin as ublock origin.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

You're fine sampling birds at 48kHz, but at 8x that sample rate you're still not capturing the whole range of what bats can produce. That's going beyond what an off the shelf generic audio interface can sample at. That's also that many times the amount of data to process.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

sb hermit posted:

By the way, I've been going with NFS because it's what the OP seems to want to do. CIFS behaves much more differently.
OP had a problem with cifs and has been a sport playing along with the nfs troubleshooting because it was suggested that that would be useful. I don't understand how, but then there's a lot that goes over my head.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

The nas thread has suggestions on sensible cases for self build, I'm sure.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

VLC can just play directly from a network share as well, dlna server not even required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

MJP posted:

Can I still install Kodi add-ons? I can't seem to find a clear yes or no.
Yes, you can.

Chromecast with Google tv has three major things where it doesn't work like a normal Android device: 1. There is no webbrowser that allows you to download just any random file. You can work around this with an app from the store called downloader if you need something directly from GitHub or something. If your add-on is on the regular Kodi repositories, you can just install, download and update through Kodi, no problem. 2. If you're in an app and need to open a file and the app redirects you to the system file picker for that, you're hosed because there isn't one. Kodi uses its own file picker, so no problem, should you need to manually install an add-on from a downloaded zip. 3. Some apps aren't made to be controlled with a remote control and have buttons that are unreachable, need swipe actions you can't do etc. You can work around with an app that simulates mouse input. Not needed for Kodi because it was firmly written with remote controls in mind.