Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just bought myself a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B to play with and I have some questions that I’m sure have been asked tons before.

I’ve set it up as a headless server running Raspbian Stretch as the host OS and I’m going to run as many services in Docker containers as possible. Right now that’s just the controller software for my AP (Unifi) but this weekend I’ll set up a reverse proxy and set up some containers running various RESTful services (I think that’s the terminology; it’s something I want to learn for personal projects). I don’t ever plan on plugging in a monitor, speakers, or any other GPIO devices into this RPi. Linux, the CLI, or Docker aren’t new or unfamiliar things to me.

Should I still stick with Raspbian or are there more specialized OSes that might be better? The Dockerfile for my Unifi controller is based off of resin.io, which seems like it’s a Linux distro designed specifically for this purpose.

One of the guides I saw yesterday said that if I don’t use the GPU I can set a flag in /boot/config.txt to reserve less RAM for it, down to 16MB being the minimum. I can’t see any issues setting GPU memory to 16MB since there will never be a time that I plug in a monitor into this thing. Is this a bad idea?

Can anyone recommend a dashboard app/server that’ll tell me at a glance things like CPU usage, if there are connected users, Docker container uptime and status, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just saw this… thing… on reddit and it’s amazing.

Kindle + Raspberry Pi Zero W + a $300 mechanical 60% keyboard modified to have Bluetooth.

It’s so so god drat absurd and I love it.

http://blog.yarm.is/kindleberry-pi-zero-w.html

e: oops I deleted my original post on accident but I was saying that I think the IRS doesn’t care what form gifts come in, be it cash or gift cards or an item. They just want to know the monetary value. At the same time I’m not a lawyer but I would think that $250 is just a rounding error for them so they might not care.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 13, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

eschaton posted:

If you’re going to do something like this you can run official Fedora Server 27 as either ARMv7 or AArch64 on your Raspberry Pi 3 hardware, and not worry about how to set up Raspbian to be more like stock Debian or whatever.

FreeBSD 12.0 also has Raspberry Pi 3 as a supported platform for which they generate binaries, though its currently prerelease. (NetBSD 7.1.1 also claims to support RPi3.)

Is there any reason to use a LTS distribution like Fedora/Ubuntu/CentOS Server vs Raspbian Lite? Or switch the question around, is there any reason to use Raspbian Lite over those other ones? For a headless server, I mean.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

peepsalot posted:

These waveshare e-paper modules are available to buy:
https://www.waveshare.com/product/modules/oleds-lcds/e-paper.htm

They have a bunch of different sizes and some even have three colors: black, white, and red!

I picked up a 2.9" three-color module from ebay a little while ago, but haven't gotten around to implementing anything with it yet.

You can find various videos on youtube showing how to use them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPaCF-XJhqc

I kept skipping forward in the video cause I just wanted to see it demo’d but he kept showing the same drat label/sicker on the back of that part with Twitter codes or whatever. It took me way too long to realize that that was the screen.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I’ve got also set up on a DO droplet and it’s okay. How well does it run on a 3 model b?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I have two questions:

1. I have a Raspberry Pi 3 B that is currently running Raspbian on the SD card it came with, and I have a brand new 32 GB SD card that I want to move the installation to. Problem is I have no SD card reader until Tuesday, but I do have a workin Raspberry Pi 1 (or something like that) but it has no OS installed. Is there a way I could like just plug the empty 32 GB SD card into it and then somehow connect that to my working RPi3 to format the SD card? I know you guys are just gonna say “why not buy a SD card reader for $5” or whatever and the answer is because I have one, it’s just stuck at work for the long weekend. I’m fine with waiting but was just wondering if it’s theoretically possible.

2. I installed Pi-Hole finally using the diginc/pi-hole image. I’ve left all the options and block lists to default. Is there anything that I should change? Are there any other block lists that I should use? Also is it possible to disable the stats page and logging all the things? I literally don’t care about the stats and think it’s a waste of processes and I don’t care to keep logs because realistically I’m never going to look at them ever.

(I guess this is more than 2 questions.)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I thought emulation was fine as long as you deleted them after 24 hours :v:

(I’m kidding of course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I want to block all of reddit.com with my pi-hole except for some specific subreddits. I spent some time figuring out how to do the regex for it and the regex rule works on regex101.com but it doesn’t block anything when I put it into pi-hole. I searched on google and it seems like what I want to do isn’t possible because pi-hole apparently can only block all of the (sub)domain or none of the (sub)domain, but nothing in between.

I don’t really understand why this wouldn’t be possible especially if I can give it a regex rule. Doesn’t pi-hole just like go “if website found in list then block it else pass it through?”