Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
I'm pumped for it. I actually have XBMC on my Apple TV right now and it's sweet but it has some trouble with HD and can't output more than 720p.

I actually wouldn't want to put xbmc on it -- I would want to use it as a dev platform to learn (just like those damned kids). If I put XBMC on it I would just set it up and never touch it again.

Then again, even if I doubt it will probably just gather dust like my Arduino and pickit2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

kcncuda71 posted:

FPGA's can't really be compared to a full on processor. The design of FPGA's is to design logic systems(like microprocessors). They were never designed to be fully usable out of the box. It's not a commodore 64 or anything like what the raspberry pi wants to deal with. Most people who want to learn FPGA's want to because they plan on doing ASIC design or other forms of logic and low level hardware design, not coding. Its much much cheaper to use a mass produced microprocessor and pcb it to a few necessary components.

Plus if you set up your FPGA like you want, you can get one hell of a lot of performance out of it.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

blunt posted:

Looks like the first batch is going on Sale 6am (GMT) Wednesday:

That's a very reasonable 10PM here! I will definitely check it out!

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
That CuBox looks awesome. There's also the Netduino but I am sure most of you aren't willing to get stuck using .NET

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

nickdab posted:

From their website:

Does this mean they are going back on the price? How can the $35 price of a Model B translate into anything other than $35? Are Farnell and RSC charging extra depending on the country they are selling in? Or are they just talking about administrative costs, like shipping and taxes and tariffs and stuff?

I think the too-good-to-be-true-ness of this project makes me nervous that there is some fine print or something, even though I know that it's a non-profit effort.

Well considering there's more than one currency... more than a few dollars, at that.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
ctrl-f olimex.. makes a lot of sense.

http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4748&PN=1

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
I can't believe these kittens are still arguing. Someone get the spray bottle.

IMO: Good for learning, not as revolutionary as they're hoping (for a lot of the reasons cat#2 said) but since that's not what I care to use it for, I am pretty excited. For now my arm development board is a Gameboy Advance.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
Yeah I have atv2 with xbmc (watching game of thrones right now :) ) and I love it. The only Apple product I would ever care to buy.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

frumpsnake posted:

Anyone who bought an ATV3 specifically for XBMC over a Raspberry Pi is an idiot.

Despite all the delays and missteps, you'll still be able to get a Raspberry Pi in your hands well before an ATV3 jailbreak.

It's been 18 months since the last bootrom exploit, we've seen absolutely zero for A5 devices despite a year on the market, and it's extremely difficult to create userland jailbreaks on the ATV with its much smaller software footprint.

The rpi is also likely to have difficulty decoding anything it can't do natively is hardware. The atv3 is roughly four times as powerful.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

frumpsnake posted:

Agreed, but that wasn't the argument. The "potential customer base" of Raspberry Pi users that has supposedly been stolen by the ATV3 is only really interested in playing MPEG-4/H.264 or they wouldn't be potential customers.. (And the MPEG-4/H.264 limit is actually a licensing issue to keep the cost of the Raspberry Pi down. The GPU itself can actually actually do VC-1 & MPEG-2 among others. I'm not sure if there's any way around that.)

If/when the ATV3 IS jailbroken, Apple will obviously be able to handle the demand of 50,000 nerds a lot better than the Raspberry Pi foundation, with 24 hour shipping and a giant retail presence. If you want to gently caress around with AirPlay, sure, but there is zero reason to get an ATV3 *now* with the sole intention of a future jailbreak and XBMC.
OK I will agree with you there.

I actually want a Rapsberry PI to gently caress around with, not just to sit under my TV.

That said, it'll probably just collect dust like my arduino and pickit2.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

rhag posted:

Look at linux: a superior OS in every way (though with win7 MS has made a good OS) for 20 years now, with a healthy ecosystem, bazillions of apps, and still has no decent representation on the desktop (it has significant % in the mobile space and servers). Microsoft, starting with the DOS era, until now was always behind, and yet everyone uses/used them.

That's your opinion.

In reality:
-Interface sucks. Wait. What interface? Gnome, KDE, Fluxbox, Unity, etc etc etc.
-No standardized package managed (emerge, rpm, apt-get?)
-Driver issues
-Licensing issues (a problem with free software)
-Dependency issues
-Problems with vendors not wanting to develop for it because the GPL is draconian.

There are a lot of reasons why Linux isn't popular on the desktop.

That said... If I didn't have my Linux box for my development (At work I have a third monitor (Windows) just for Office and Outlook) I would die.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
The lag could easily be accounted for.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
Finally got to place my raspberry pi order today. Still need to figure out what I am going to use it for. Maybe I can let it collect dust like my pickit2 and arduino ^_^

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

bolind posted:

I've looked into stuff some more, and apparently the GPU boots up first, and then powers up the CPU. So the GPU is, in effect, the bootloader, and that particular piece of code is binary, and will probably never be released in source form. And even if it did, it would require a specific Broadcom GPU compiler, which we won't get either.

It appears that the GPU firmware expects a VFAT formatted partition on the SD card (at the beginning, most likely) that contains certain files (bootcode.bin, loader.bin, start.elf) and these can then boot a kernel. I'm no OS guru, but it seems plausible that other OSs could be booted that way.

of course

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
I put arch on mine, booted it, and haven't touched it since. I am thinking of selling.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
So the way I understand it, the GPU has its own ROM and it communicated with the CPU through shared memory.

I was looking through these tutorials, which were pretty decent, but unfortunately it doesn't have anything for HDMI.

I imagine getting the GPU to transmit over HDMI is a lot more complicated, but does anyone know of a tutorial that gets it working (not using Linux or another OS). It would be pretty amazing if the GPU rom could speak HDMI/EDID/DDC and we didn't need a super complicated driver to get it up and running.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

Vlad the Retailer posted:

That tutorial works with the framebuffer, so it should work with HDMI as well.

So I can just set the resolution to 1280x720 and it should work? I must have a bug, then.

Cool how the GPU has its own driver and handles all the gritty poo poo for us.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

Vlad the Retailer posted:

The Screen01 sample worked for me on an HDMI monitor. I'd recommend tinkering with config.txt - in particular hdmi_safe.

oh fantastic! Thanks a lot.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
That's 'cause they can switch to hardware decoding as opposed to keeping the clocks at full steam.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

Space Gopher posted:

That's not really an OS; it's more a "how to talk to the hardware directly" tutorial. It can't load outside code, let alone provide it with services and an abstraction layer.

Pretty drat good tutorials, but I also didn't like how they were calling it an 'OS'. Some clown who was following the tutorials made a blog about it and somehow got posted to hackaday. People don't know what they're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
sprite m has a new article, which he does some neat stuff with his raspberry pi

http://spritesmods.com/?art=rpi_arcade&page=1