Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hey thread, I'm looking to replace my old Pi 3B with a 4. If I mostly want to use it as a lightweight PC/emulation system is there a reason to get a regular Pi 4 instead of a 400 given with the stuff I'd need the 400 is about £20 cheaper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

From reading reviews and such I feel like 8gb is a bit overkill for the stuff I want it for, hence mostly price comparing the 4gb version of the regular Pi as well. The main other thing giving me pause is the lack of a 3.5mm jack but getting an adaptor for that isn't exactly expensive.

Also I'm not gonna lie, as someone who grew up in the later part of the UK's microcomputer era the idea of a whole modern computer inside a keyboard appeals to me.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 23, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OK I bought the 400, finally I will have a slightly less painful way to emulate an Atari ST.

Now I need to find a new side thing to do with the 3B.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have no issues with playback on my 400, so it's certainly possible. I haven't changed anything in PiOS though so I don't know what if anything I have different to your setup.

Also I finally did what I wanted to do from the start with the 400 and set it up on a small desk of its own and I'm pretty happy to have this little desktop setup in my bedroom now for when I just want to sit in a quiet room and do computer stuff. After getting a new laptop and relearning how to type on these kinds of flat keys I'm even starting to get used to the keyboard and be able to type normally on it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It’s fine, the only thing I really notice on a regular basis is the delay when full screening a Youtube video.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

I think most computer touchers start out bypassing parental/school restrictions on computers and networks. I know I certainly did, just so I could uh... Play Quake 2.

Yeah my favourite saying about web blockers is if you want to know how to get around a web block, ask a bunch of schoolkids. One kid when I was in school figured out how to get into the network storage and sneaked a Doom install in so we could play deathmatch over the school network.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah for a few years they got pushed as a swiss army knife of computers, still do to an extend by the RPF. I have my 400 set up as a distraction free machine I can use to write on and it works real nicely for that purpose, likewise I have a Pi 4 set up in the front room as a media center and it works great for that as well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The micro HDMI is by far the worst thing about the Pi 4 and I have never seen anyone actually connect it to multiple monitors.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I use an Argon case for my TV box Pi, mostly for the remote capabilities but it's such a good case for basically anything.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I figured it was probably at least in the works, the 4 has been out for 2+ years at this point.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The only reason I've ever seen given for the double HDMI is for connecting to 2 monitors, use as a desktop is pretty much the only reason it has those. It doesn't make sense I know since even the most obvious "this is meant to be a desktop" model in the RP400 doesn't have enough RAM for anything but light multitasking.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I assume the Pi4’s reputation for running hot, and the official case + fan is only about $15 so you’re still $50 all in.

Lotta thread drive-bys recently.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

All those Pi books are available for free if you're using PiOS, though that beginners guide is pretty nice. I got it with my Pi 400.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

Found your problem. Amazon doesn't distinguish between sellers when they restock returns or put stock on the shelves.

Yeah I was looking at microphones last weekend and half of the reviews on a bunch of them were complaining that it was listed as new but was B stock or refurbs. I just started buying SD cards direct from manufacturer stores, it's more expensive sure but at least I have a better chance of actually getting the right capacity.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mine is still rolling after almost 2 years but I am increasingly concerned about how much the rubber around the connectors has worn away over time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I enjoyed how Sony made the headphone jack into a listed feature on their current range of phones.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have somehow accumulated multiple 64gb microSD cards I'm doing nothing with and I don't know where half of them came from.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

And that's why the Zero W is the best Pi. Tiny, cheap, low power, enough CPU, full GPIO.

Kinda gets to my feelings on the main Pi being kinda redundant now, all the actually cool Pi project I see are using a Zero, Pico or Compute Module. I haven't seen anything really use the full Pi 4 in a project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

xzzy posted:

I couldn't stand to watch that video, so I'll ask: why does that screen exist at all? Is it meant to be magnified for a projector or something?

I assume it's something you'd put in a digital camera to pretend to be an old style viewfinder or just as a data display.