Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Question: do you guys use docker on your raspberry? For what kind of things?

Last weekend I bought an external hard drive and so I'm looking into installing/configuring a number of things (raspberry pi 3b): samba, deluge, couchpotato, plex, ... It looks like there's a docker container for all of these things, does it make sense to always use these? Or are there some overhead costs (or other drawbacks) I should be aware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Thanks for the feedback! I've been taking care to specifically look for arm or rpi- containers on the web, there seem to be plenty. So far I haven't had to make an image myself, but I'm assuming it can't be much more difficult than trying to install everything on the raspberry pi itself.

Regarding transcoding not being possible: does this mean that in order to stream a video on the hd disk to a chromecast I won't be able to use the raspberry pi itself?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I don't understand the benefit of using kubernetes (besides learning something useful) when using just one pi. Isn't it just more overhead?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Hadlock posted:

The ability to use helm charts, especially nested helmb charts, is really nice. It's basically a package manager for containers

helm install postgres

Or whatever. Also it's interface will scale, if you ever need it to

Otherwise yeah you can just use docker compose, which is about all anyone ever really needs on a single node cluster

Gotcha! I'm very new to this docker/kubernetes thing so I was wondering if I was missing something.