Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I got one from Adafruit mid last year for $40 plus $5 shipping. Right now though Adafruit is only selling them as part of a $100 kit. If you pick one up from a third party, $40 seems to be the going price. They are out of stock everywhere I looked just now, so this may be a generally bad time to try to find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Adafruit's stock listings are accurate from my experience. I bought two from them last year and they arrived promptly. They tend to get them in stock and then sell out in a few days though, so I wouldn't hesitate too long if you want one.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I am going to be giving a small talk soon at my company on the raspberry pi. The audience will be a bunch of experienced software developers. The talk is coming together pretty well, and gives a general overview and "getting started" type stuff. From there I plan to touch on the Python GPIO library, and then show a few example projects (probably a RetroPie setup and a webservice of some sort running in tomcat on a headless pi.)

If you were to attend a talk like this, what sort of thing might you also like to see? What do you wish someone told you when you were getting started? I have maybe another 10 minutes of time that I can fill and I'm looking for more compelling content.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

Speaking of SSH, is it included in Wheezy, or will I have to install it? Should I just go with something lightweight like dropbear or what?

If you install the latest Wheezy image, there will be an option in the config screen to enable ssh. So you will need to have it hooked up to monitor and keyboard for the first boot to enable ssh and figure out/configure your IP address. After that though you can go headless.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
That's good to know - I didn't realize you could do that. One of my Pis is currently running headless with tomcat installed and I plan on playing around with this GPIO control webapp over the weekend. I will probably throw together a simple html/javascript front end for it, and use it to muck with the connected devices. Eventually I plan to have that pi be a general home automation server hooked up to my x10 firecracker and some additional devices via the GPIO pins.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

eddiewalker posted:

Earlier on this very same page, Johnny 290 said he SSHed into a fresh Raspbian install to do the initial setup.

So he did. I am fairly sure ssh wasn't enabled by default in the previous Raspbian images, but I guess it is now. Sorry for the misinformation!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I plan to do something like that with the pi I mentioned a few comments back hooked up to an x10 firecracker, with a webapp to control stuff hooked up to the GPIO pins. I agree that this is going to be the meat of the discussion. The retro pie setup is interesting primarily because of how ridiculously easy it is. A number of these folks also have kids who may enjoy tinkering with the pi if they can use it to play video games, so it may be an appealing use case. (Especially in the "your kid's commodore 64" sense.)

When talking to them about the retro pi part I will dive into the user space GPIO driver code that the petrockblog guy wrote in C. I think they will appreciate an overview of how it handles the SNES protocol and communicates with the controller via the GPIO pins.

I don't currently have anything in the talk that uses SPI or I2C. I suppose I could work one more small project in to interface with something that way.

I don't live in the sates you mentioned, so setting up something to water my plants might not carry the intended humor value. (Assuming that's where you were headed!)

Thanks for the input, if nothing else you have made me realize that I should be sure to focus on the "how" and GPIO interfacing more than on the "what".

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Benson Cunningham posted:

I just ordered a raspberry pi. My ultimate goal is to put together an arcade cabinet with it. What I'm stuck on is the hardware aspect of that.

I'm looking at this for my joystick: http://www.adafruit.com/products/480

Is there a good tutorial somewhere that can take me from having a joystick to registering the input on my pi? I have no background in electrical engineering, so I am really at a loss as to what I need to do on the hardware side. Can I wire the joystick outputs directly to the GPIO and just configure an emulator to accept signals from the GPIO? Do I need a breadboard? What other hardware do I need (wires, breadboard, etc) to get it up and running.

Or do I need to step back, and get some kind of foundation in electrical engineering so I can understand what's going on?

I built an arcade unit with a raspberry pi. If you can't solder, it is going to be a huge pain in the rear end at best. If you can solder, then it is fairly trivial to wire everything up. There is full support for interfacing with two SNES controllers via the GPIO pins. (Check out RetroPie, and the gamecon-gpio-rpi driver). I bought two 3rd party SNES controllers, dismantled them to get at the underlying circuit board, and soldered connectors directly to the button contacts. Then I ran a wiring harness from those connectors out to the arcade controls (which I bought from https://arcadespareparts.com). This resulted in me having two player arcade controls that looked like two SNES controllers to the RPi, and thus worked perfectly with the gamecon-gpio-rpi driver.

Skills needed: soldering (lots of damned soldering), comfort at the linux command line, patience.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Mill Town posted:

Rather than cutting up a SNES controller, you can build the equivalent circuit out of two easy to obtain microchips:

http://www.gamesx.com/controldata/nessnes.htm

Excellent. I knew that was an option but I built the thing in about a week to use as a prop in a talk, so I went with the easy approach I could buy on amazon. Thanks for the link though, I plan to build a coffee table style unit in the near future and I will use those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Maybe I am missing something, but it doesn't look like you can "Register your interest" yet if you live in the USA.