Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

cage-free egghead posted:

Supposedly there is an 8gb variant of the Pi4.
That was an error in the user guide that comes with the PI4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

repiv posted:

But was it an error as in "oops that model doesn't actually exist" or "oops didn't mean to announce that yet"?
Doesn’t exist yet.
From what I’ve read on the pi forum, the BCM2711 cpu has some issues that prevent it from utilizing more then 4GB ram.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

I have a Pi3b attached to a Meanwell PSU along with a bunch of other things, and I’d like to be able to just flip off the mains regularly without the Pi eating it’s SD card.
Is there anything like a “2 minute battery, graceful shutdown pi-hat” I can throw on?
Add a button connected to two GPIO pins that shuts down the Pi when it's pressed. If you search for something "raspberry pi shutdown button" you'll find plenty of examples.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

For what it's worth I've used maybe a dozen cables and power supplies now and never noticed a problem yet. I'm sure there are some well known cables/chargers that don't work but in my experience it's pretty smooth sailing.
The problem is that the way the Pi foundation implemented the USB-C connector, any electronically marked cable will detect the Pi4 as an audio device and won't power it.
You shouldn't have problems with basic, non-"smart" cables.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

And yeah there's a few discussing threads on the PiHole forums about trying to block stuff like Youtube ads, tl;dr it's probably not happening for a while.
Never with something like PiHole as youtube's adds and videos are hosted on the same servers.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Yeah, this seems to me like a solution for a problem that didn't exist.
I never felt that going to https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ and downloading the image was such a complex task that I needed that to be automated. It's neat that it exist and all, but I'm wondering who the intended audience is. :shrug:

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 5, 2020

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

WarMECH posted:

I just got a Pi4 this week to run Pi-Hole. It is in the "official" case, which has no vents/fans. Everything works great, better than expected, but I noticed that the web interface for Pi-Hole is showing that my temps are running between 62 and 65 C with a little "hot" icon next to it. Will this hurt in the long run? The only thing running on the device is the Pi-Hole software and it's managing my small home network of about 18 devices, so it shouldn't be working hard.
The official case is kind of lovely to be honest. If you get case with a decent heatsink build into it and make sure the Pi4 isn't placed in a closed closet, you can probably cut that temperature with 10 to 20 degrees.
The Pi4 will protect itself by throttling the CPU at around 80°c. But if you're just running PiHole I doubt you'll ever see those temperatures. So I wouldn't bother with a fan.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
What is the actual usecase for this? Other then making a profit from people who will buy this without thinking because they want the biggest number.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 28, 2020

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

Nope, in fact, it's worse.

They're straight up not compatible with real USB-C for the first revision.
It wasn’t compatible with smart usb-c cables.

They should have followed the usb-c spec, but as an actual problem it was blown out of proportion.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Huh, I wonder why they handled different RAM sizes this way.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I was wondering more why a jumper like that is necessary at all. But I guess the bootloader isn't capable of detecting RAM size?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

It's not a jumper, it's the cheapest way of indicating what RAM is on the board, no need to modify the silkscreen.
It's a 0Ω SMD resistor that's used here as a jumper right? Or am I mixing up my terminology?

Edit:

aeiou posted:

According to Geerling's video the jumper isn't functional. It's just an indicator to the user to see the amount of installed ram at a glance. That's kinda clever.
Oh, I completely misunderstood what it was then. There is a trace going from one end of the "memory" SMD solder connections to the chip, so I thought it would have a function.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/behind-the-scenes-with-raspberry-pi-5-magpimonday/

quote:

We could have just used a standard PD supply, get nine volts at three amps, but then you have to do the voltage conversion on the board. That costs you area, it costs you silicon, it costs you efficiency. So, we decided to do something a little bit non-standard, which is what we often do in search of performance, and create a five-volt, five-amp profile for our power supply.
This reasoning seems weird to me. How having to design & produce a non-standard power supply capable of 5V/5A, better or cheaper then using standard industry parts?

Also I hope they actually check if the plugged-in cable has an e-marker chip and is capable of carrying 5A. The board isn't likely to draw that much current constantly, but still it doesn't seems like a great idea to use USB-C cable rated for 3A/10W with this board.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 9, 2023