Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Anybody have a good recommendation for a powerbank that I can run my 3b off?

I'd really like one that charges and powers at the same time without dropping the power when connected to a wall outlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I just build a 4 Pi Kubernetes cluster, highly recommended. The joy of actually building something from physical parts is way better than dicking around with VMs.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
A simple bootable SATA port would have been so awesome. Or an eSATA multiplier.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

I've been tinkering with cardless network booting for Pis for a work project (it's been in production for a while now but I'm still maintaining/improving it), and I finally had some breakthroughs last week and figured out a lot of stuff. Right now I have PiServer running on a VM. It's set to boot a minimal Raspbian installation which runs Chromium in kiosk mode to display a webpage. I also have a script that checks the eth0 MAC address and then runs custom code based on that.

I know there were some solutions offered before PiServer existed, but it's nice to have a fairly seamless way of getting this all set up. Now if the office IT staff would actually help me set up a VLAN for the Pis, this project would move a lot faster. :v:

I setup PXE booting for my cluster, what issues where you running into? The only problem I had was the getting the IDs of the Pi's.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Wrong thread.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Klyith posted:

Nah a Pi is perfect for these types of low-impact, not-mission-critical jobs. Running an automated 24/7 music stream is an tiny embedded computer job. If it were mission-critical you'd want something better than a pi -- something that boots from more reliable storage than a SD card -- but you'd still want linux. Anything running win10 is a bad choice for embedded computer jobs.

I had a couple of mishaps with SD cards, now all my RPIs PXE boot off the NAS. Works like a charm, especially the 3B+. The 3B also works, but is only 100 Mbit.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Is this also the place to ask about other boards? I saw a Rock Pi that has NVMe and that has me really interested because the one thing that annoys me about the Pi are the SD cards. I was wondering if anyone has experience with these boards and if they are any good.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Rexxed posted:

I haven't used one myself but Christopher Barnatt reviews a lot of SBCs on Explaining Computers. He's got the cadence of a university lecturer but he does a good overview and a little benchmarking and general usage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4p9EpjA0ZM

Thanks for the link, I've been watching quite a few of his videos. The odyssey board also looks amazing, but is too expensive.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
You might also want to check out some docker stuff that let's you run your ISO downloaders via the VPN container and don't work when it's down.

Just saying.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
If you have a NAS or something that does NFS, just PXE your Pi's, saves a lot of headaches. Those SD cards always poo poo the bed at the worst possible time.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, PXE is a thought!

It works really well, snapshotting your OS installs is also very nice to have. Especially if doing some upgrade that might go horribly wrong.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Warbird posted:

Oh boy, time to look for networking equipment on Craigslist

Get a small Ubiquiti switch, I have an 8 port one and it does almost everything you'd want and is small and silent.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Boner Wad posted:

I’m building out a RPI cluster and I am planning on 8 nodes of RPI 4. As I recall they are 5v 3a, so that should be 15w, 15x8=120w power supply. So far I found a 120w USB hub for crypto mining but they are quite expensive. I’m trying to have one power plug and multiple USB C cables to power them all.

Any suggestions?

I use an Anker USB charger for my cluster, it is only 10 ports but it does the job really well.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Boner Wad posted:

I have thought about doing both and sounds like I'll go down one of those paths instead of USB.

Keep in mind that the PoE things have annoying little fans that you *will* hear. It was the reason I removed them from my cluster.

These were the 1st gen though, might have changed I don't know.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Boner Wad posted:

What do you use now?

I also noticed that they are configurable to change when the temperatures when they come on. So it might be okay but I’m sensitive to any fan noise so it might not work out well.

USB powersupply. :) Silent.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Comatoast posted:

Why not just get a NUC or one of the other 4x4 boxes? It'd be about the same cost and it'd be much more powerful.

It is nice to have actual physical machines, at least that is why I run them.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I am a big fan of PXE booting them. If you have a NAS that does NFS it is pretty slick. Needs a cabled connection though, but if you can, I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

i want to do some low latency video streaming via ethernet on a pi. i also want to be able to draw text and maybe some static images on the video stream. there appears to be a lot of ways to do this, from streaming to a local web page to using gstreamer and/or VLC. anyone have any experience and or recommendations for how to do this?

Depends on the resolution you are going for. If it is 4K the Pi won't be able to do much with it. You would just dump a raw stream to some other machine and do the processing there. For Full HD you can probably do some Gstreamer stuff on the Pi itself.

Gstreamer is fast but you need to really to do some testing. Make sure you are on a 5Ghz band as well, Wired would be best.