Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Can anybody give me a good summary of exactly what Vulkan finally arriving on RetroPie and similar emulation systems for the Pi will actually mean in practical terms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Does anybody have experience running the OS off a SATA m.2 stick? I've been looking at the Argon One case for my emulator box, and I'm wondering how much of a difference it would make if I were running Lakka or RetroPie off one of those instead of the SD card.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I was enjoying Lakka when I tried it last year and I wish it had stable updates more than once every two years.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Lakka 3.0 is finally out, so it may be time for me to get a new microSD card so I can get the Pi running again, and maybe one of those tiny USB drives.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Gyshall posted:

Lakka looks really cool. Any recommendations on hardware for a retro box? Cases and the like

Lakka doesn't seem to run very hot on a Pi 4 even when playing PS1 games. Right now I have the CoolerMaster case that got Kickstarted a while back, which feels pleasantly solid.

I still haven't set it back up since 3.0 came out, though; I might wait for the next stable build, which was supposed to be about two weeks after 3.0 hit.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

On my Lakka box it made no appreciable speed difference.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm starting to feel like the Pi 4's reputation suffers from the fact that it's close enough to being a "real computer" that people judge it for the fact that it's bad at being one.

I am absolutely not the kind of person who should be making this decision but I feel like the next model of Pi should probably be split apart into one that's capable of doing things like "running an emulator box" and is intended for people who want to build mono-function PC-like devices, and one that isn't, and is for things like operating devices and running a pihole.

Although, the Pi 3 still exists, so having a simple version is kind of unnecessary. I kind of feel like the Pi benefits from having a lot of people constantly working to wring as much effectiveness out of its hardware as possible, and that effort gets diluted the more different versions of the hardware exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Klyith posted:

As an explainer, the full format fucks up performance of flash storage because it writes data to the whole drive. It's all zeros that aren't real data, but the drive is agnostic about this type of thing -- to it writes are writes. You're basically starting from the position of a "full" drive which is worst-case performance for solid state.

On a real SSD this would get fixed pretty fast by the OS sending TRIM commands to let the SSD know that all those blocks full of zeros are junk it can forget about. Or you could fix it instantly using the ATA Secure Erase function, causing it to erase its mapping table, erase / regenerate its encryption key, and reset the drive to uninitialized. (Some SSDs also do nifty things like apply voltage across the entire flash in a way that zeros out the cells all at once.)

On a SD card, uh... they don't support TRIM or Secure Erase. Googling a bit, it looks like you can use blkdiscard in linux to discard sectors in a flash-friendly way (and in practice means wiping the card). That should restore it to fresh state. Some people on the internet say fstrim works with their SD card device, but I just tried on my Pi and it says "operation not permitted". And the other option is to wait for garbage collection to slowly do the job.

Couldn't you just fill the card up agaon and then delete it all?