Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Is there a specific thread for home assistant? I just bought a raspberry PI, sd card/reader and a router/cable setup so I can start making a smarthome without Jeff bezos watching me masturbate.

I have some python and Linux experience so I figure it won’t be too bad. Philips hue stuff is apparently all compatible with the system so custom lighting will be my first thing, followed by a sensor/camera setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Rexxed posted:

I think some folks in the home automation and security system thread use it.

Oh sweet- thank you!

Looks like a lot of possibilities.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

gently caress I need another flash drive for this thing

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

gently caress me my power source slipped and now after re-attaching it nothing seems to work. I just get a red light.

Do I need a new SD card? I’ve re flashed it several times.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

xtal posted:

If you've re flashed it, I assume its recognized and read/writable from another computer, but the Pi isn't booting from it?

Yeah just a solid red light which means power but no bios to boot from right?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Alright turns out the disk could be saved, I just needed to d/c the power supply before re inserting it after another re flash. And it worked!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Whoops

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 20, 2020

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

One question though: I have a MacBook and iPhone and no other electronics with a display. What’s the easiest way to directly interact with the PI for a shutdown or whatever? I know how to use ssh but apparently ssh is disabled by default apparently.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Thanks!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I installed a mazer case on mine instead of my cardboard box setup and it’s great.

I got real scared when I saw all the wires/fan but it’s really easy to setup and it’s quiet and cool.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Just got my second PI up and running to play the role of always online script runner as well as home entertainment system. This one just has raspbian.

My apartment is tiny so my work desk and computer monitor is also my tv and stand. With a few configuration tweaks chromium can run prime and netflix.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

VLC works fine for me in the 32 bit distro

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Lazyhound posted:

Is the 4 actually fast enough for desktop use? Trying to do anything GUI-based on my 3B is like pulling teeth.

Yeah I use one as a linux desktop/home entertainment system and it works fine. Hardest part was getting steaming services with all their lovely drm to work on chromium but that wasn't too difficult.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I got sick of dealing with Homeassistant being buggy and since I hate myself have been on an exiting journey to create a Softphone running through my PI, I have no idea what I’m doing but I have a working PDX server running on one pi so I think that’s the hardest step? We shall see

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Dear god. I've been trying to finish the last step of my pihole but I can't because my Arris AC3200P router seemingly has no place where I can change LAN DNS settings. I don't think it has a panel to change that inexplicability.

I've been googling and googling and spent like four hours now and I still have no idea.

Any ideas?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Fuuuuuuck. Whole reason I bought this router instead of my ISPs one was specifically so I could do poo poo like this.

Any recommendations? Is there a thread for this stuff?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Coxswain Balls posted:

If you want to avoid getting a new router for now, see if you can turn off the DHCP server in the router and you can use the one built into Pihole.

That's an option? poo poo I need to google that. Everyone else I've found with similar routers asking on reddit or whatever seems to have given up.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I fell like installing anything not specifically made for pi on a pi is asking for trouble unless you’re a very experienced Linux dude because in my experience Linux loving sucks at figuring out hardware stuff and pis are pretty different than a lot of computers.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Xaris posted:

Ok good to know. Can it also do Moonlight as an experimental package?

Also if I go the RPi4B route, what memory model should I spring for? Not sure if it's important for emulation.

I haven’t had serious issues with 4gb but it does kinda strain even using the PI for desktop stuff (YouTube will crash and need to be refreshed if you skip around timestamps in videos too much, too many open browser tabs and it starts stuttering) but it works fine most of the time and always runs stuff like pihole in a docker container without issue. For my next project which is a war driving kit (hopefully eventually a war driving drone) I got an 8gb just to err on the side of caution since I’ll have to install Kali or Parrot instead of Raspbian and it may have to manage drone control stuff as well as all the GPS and wifi at the same time.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

beefnoodle posted:

I have a Pi 3B in a physical container that makes access to the SD card a pain for regular access. What's the best way to back up the whole device (files + configuration) over the wire?

Just how difficult? At least as a beginner I think I would either decide what I wanted to back up or just say gently caress it take the whole thing apart to get card and save a copy on my main computer

Kinda unfortunate you ended up with a case like that, every case I’ve used made removing the sd easy, that is an odd design choice.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

TheManWithNoName posted:

l

EDIT: I think it's working better? Youtube ads still aren't being blocked but some ones I added are. Not sure if there is just a delay or what.

I think it was possible a long time ago to block YouTube ads but it definitely hadn’t been possible with this method for a while.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Centrist Committee posted:

Random question, but is it safe to run a Pi exclusively off of an SD card? I remember something about memory cards having a finite number of write cycles but idk if that’s relevant or accurate

I’ve been running a pi for 7 months now always on without issue

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

My pi desktop works fine except jumping around while streaming video too quickly will cause you to have to reload the page.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

How challenging would it be to put this on an arm image of Kali and get it working? I’ve previously used pitop OS and then installed the tools I need but it’d be to rad if I could just install this on Kali and use all the same scripts.

https://github.com/pi-top/pi-top-Python-SDK

I don’t know enough to know if it’s even possible, but this seems to be enough that it would function inside the pi-top hardware.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

ante posted:

Should just work, it's completely Python, and their installation docs even mention some unnamed generic "Raspberry Pi OS"

Makes sense. It’ll be a fun project, actually uncharted territory.

E: Main reason why I'm even bothering is that I don't want to burn out the fan since the way I wired it the controller is built into the OS rather the firmware or wherever, and I've heard that installing non-pitop OSes can cause the fan to burn out over time. It looks like I can just install this on any debian system though:
https://knowledgebase.pi-top.com/knowledge/controlling-the-pi-top-4-fan

E: I’m dumb, there’s other driver issues that become a problem because the pitop case had an off switch.

It’s easier just to grab another pi, google to make sure I buy the right kind of 5V usb-c and battery and just use both

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 20, 2021

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

One of the best ways to get cheap computers is to ask an IT dude that works for a small/medium company if you can take an old computer that was going to be e wasted and just let you do a total overwrite to the drive and take it home. I know at least a Linux mint install will let you do a true wipe of a disk during the installation process after you boot it live, though I’m sure there’s an even easier way.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It’s amazing to me how unstable word is for a supposedly professional software package. loving kenshi with a bunch of random lovely mods runs more reliably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It runs libreoffice and visual studio pretty fine for me on a high end computer monitor