Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I think I want to get a Pi for a bunch of little projects. I want to run a VPN server, a print server, and hook up a bunch of sensors, maybe to build a weather station. I was thinking of running Ubuntu Server LTS. Mostly I want to hook up lots of peripherals and tinker with things. My instinct would be to get a Pi 4 with 8 Gb of memory, but I want to keep energy use to a minimum, so if that much RAM would be overkill or an older model runs more efficiently, that would be good to know. Is there a big difference in thermals and energy usage, or just get whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

CarForumPoster posted:

If you have a power budget because you need a battery then worry about power draw. Otherwise any passive air cooled computer isn’t going to draw much power. If it doesn’t need a fan to dissipate the heat, it’s not drawing much power in terms of your electricity bill.

I’d like to get to a power budget, and one of the sensors I’d like to use or build is some kind of kill-a-watt type thing that would let me collect power usage. There are probably easier ways to do it, but it seems like a dumb, nerdy way to learn about it.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
^ Yeah, no GUI, all shell all day

poeticoddity posted:

There are in-line USB current meters that have little OLED or LED displays on them.
If you're just looking for nerd points you could try to read the data off of one using the GPIO pins to make a power-aware RasPi.

Idk what this means but it sounds exactly the kind of thing I’m hoping to get out of this project

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
That’s cool as hell

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Where’s the learning electronics thread?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

ty

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Random question, but is it safe to run a Pi exclusively off of an SD card? I remember something about memory cards having a finite number of write cycles but idk if that’s relevant or accurate

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Cool thanks for the info. I’m using a cheap one I found in a drawer to get setup and mess around with. I’ll plan to set up something more robust down the line.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I’ve got my Pi up and running. I have some projects in mind and have found some components I want to use but I don’t have any electrical engineering or circuit design experience. I haven’t found many useful guides as the search results seem pretty worked over for SEO. For example there are plenty of charts for the GPIO pins, but I haven’t seen anything that really explains what the different types of pins are good for. I’d also like to know if there are any good starter kits for building things, like wires and resistors and capacitors (not that I know the difference between them). I’d like to avoid soldering, don’t mind taking up a little space, and don’t need make anything permanent right now. I mostly want to play with sensors.

Also I’m looking at components on Adafruit and a lot of cool parts are out of stock. Do things tend to get replenished regularly or no?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Dominoes posted:

Post specific questions here. I recommend you think of a project that is genuinely interesting to you, and learn what's required to make it happen.

Awesome, thanks for the links. I want to start with a little irrigation system. I’ve got a hardware store nearby but they don’t have electronics. I think I need a “solenoid valve” and a “flow meter,” but I could see the system growing to multiple independent valves over time. There are a ton of guides online for that but I also have a few other ideas and so I am looking for examples of Pis being used for multiple sensors serving multiple purposes.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

dupersaurus posted:

My first raspi project has been a camera for my bird feeder. Someone I showed it to expressed interest in the code, so I cleaned it up and made it public, and I figured I'd share it here, too.

Camera: https://github.com/jdpdev/birbcam
Web server/interface: https://github.com/jdpdev/birbserver

There's still a bit of work to do to get it to set-and-forget v1, but it runs real well. Right now I'm focused on getting v1 done, but next on the list is adding machine learning to identify the bird; I've done some tests with tensor flow and a model someone's published, just need to get it integrated to the camera.

HQ camera with the standard 16mm lens, and a case from Ardufruit that I paid someone to print for me. I have ideas for improving the case, but that's for later.

And some action shots. That last one was taken with an Arducam lens which requires a different camera calibration (thus the tint), but fortunately I have a lead on fixing that without having to recompile raspicam.

[Edit] And the debug console that shows what's going on

that's cool as poo poo

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
covid, the economic depression, the cold war with china, etc etc

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
What’s the best way to set up a VPN on a Pi?

I used to have a Mac Mini and the Apple-provided Server app made it super easy to set up an L2TP VPN, turn on, add a user, set the shared secret, done. Then on my phone, just add the server, username, password, and secret in the VPN settings.

It looks like either OpenVPN or Wireguard, and both of them want to manage client connections via their own apps? I’m not opposed to new and better ways of doing things but it seems more convoluted and I can’t tell what these packages are doing under the GUIs.

E: Just looking for something to use on public WiFi, don’t need to spoof IPs for streaming or anything.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Two for wireguard and it looks like this is built on top of it. I’ll give it a shot.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Tailscale is cool but I need to run it as an exit node. I can't figure out how to make sudo tailscale up --advertise-exit-node run on boot. I think I'm supposed to do something with systemd but I'm not sure.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Tell me you live on the west coast without telling me you live on the west coast, I’ll go first. Does anyone have experience with air quality sensors? Would kind of like an outdoor sensor and an indoor sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Hadlock posted:

I bought a $200 purple air unit after doing all the research and weighing "it just works" against "gently caress it, I'll just do it myself". The purple air unit is basically a $5 ESP8266 wired to a $150 air quality sensor, in a clear 3d printed case with a color led

We've had it about three months now and setup and install was painless. It lives near the window by the TV and it's easy to go on their website and look at it from my phone and see how fast the air filter is doing it's job (a lot faster than I expected). It also has a local data feed you can scrape for whatever purpose on your LAN. The color led is nice because if it's yellow I know to crank the filter up to medium or high for a while until it turns green again

I figured this was likely the case