Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086KTMZLX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AOP0CH6UTUPHT&psc=1

I was going to buy this GeeekPi metal case with icetower cooler. I don't care much for the Canakit case. Just going to run emulationstation/retropie, maybe I can get that Kodi app I've had trouble with to work.

Wouldn't mind picking up the 8gb edition, installing TwisterOS, and having a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

abraham linksys posted:

if you're getting the Canakit kit, the power cable an inline switch on it

I bought the Canakit in the beginning for, 100 or so. I guess all the extra cables are fine but that case+fan is a cowabunga piece of dogshit.
The new case should be coming in soon. The issue is that you can't access the SD card without unscrewing everything. My experience so far with the Raspberry is you hot swap the SD cards like gameboy cartridges to play with different images.
Oh yea the usb to microsd adapter thing sucks so much, it took me about 12 hours to mount a 240 image to the SD card.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Samsung EVO or Select. I don't feel like spending the cash on a 512 gb but I would like to have it for a cool image.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Yea which distro. Raspbian I guess since that sort
of comes with it. If so, then it's just like Ubuntu. Go to pulseaudio (pavucontrol), a config tab, then there would be a list and choose the analog out.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Would love to have a Plex server but I'm going to be on public wifi, like a hotel room wifi. They have a wired connection available though, which is pretty cool. I sort of doubt anybody in this little town would have any idea how to pK h4x0r, so it would probably be okay.
Still want an ice tower cooler + 8gb 4 for, I don't know why, to have as a cool toy.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I've never had a problem with the an SD card being the primary booting mechanism. I have the 256gb samsung evo, i think, whatever the best on the market is. Samsung Choice is also recommended. I wish I bought the 512 instead.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
ubuntu is a hack, yea it's okay (if you want to use it like a windows pc) but its the noob distro. get better, or not. lol, and the sidebar has 'the Amazon app' in Ubuntu still right. God that shows where their priorities are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Warbird posted:

Ubuntu has a GUI?

k I will play the pedantic card. Ubuntu comes with a DE that used to really suck, but is now Gnome, which also sucks imo. But you can edit .xinitrc to exec whatever you want. I do like booting into the console, without the login manager. I'd love to have a headless RPi but Im not sure for which purpose.