Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Guy Axlerod posted:

I ordered one on the 18th from Newark. It shipped today.
I ordered 2 from them around the 6th and they're due in on Friday. Finally.

Anyone picked up the "gertboard" interface kit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

DicksToAsses posted:

I'm currently using this, playback is perfect but the UI can be very laggy at times and for some reason I can't get it to automatically use sequential playback, I have to manually queue the next video if I don't want to be dumped back to the folder view.

I'm gonna give openelec a whirl tonight and see if that's any more polished.

I'm looking forward to hearing how this works out - I'm using XMBC on a jb'd ATV2, and am planning on using 1 Pi to to run XMBC - I don't mind if it's sluggish as long as teh playback is good, but if there's a better media center available that doesn't have the ui issues that'd be cool.

Maybe I should just get a half dozen SD cards and load a different OS on each depending on what I want to do.

Is anyone using an HDMI->DVI conversion cable (like this one from Monoprice)? - I don't have any HDMI native monitors for playing with and this seems like a solution.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Who's running Xbian? I put it on my Pi and let it chug along and update the libraries (overnight) - but I seem to be having a lot of issues streaming even low quality (SD) content from my media share. The same stuff runs without a hiccup through XBMC on my ATV 2, or streamed wirelessly to my iPad (using Airvideo). I'm going to load up a card with RaspBMC and see how that does with playback. Or, are there any tweaks I should try with Xbian?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

KrautHedge posted:

Any word on which xbmc distribution is the best? I heard the recent updates made everything a bit snappier menu wise. I'm really excited about finally being able to use xbmc again. I was a heavy user back when it was just for the xbox, reluctantly switched to a WDTV once I upgraded to a hdtv a few years ago.
I'm a fan of Xbian - RaspXBMC seemed sluggish, but it's been a while since I tried it.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Dolex posted:

I am having the same experience that you are, Raspi being lovely at performance. I got a Pandaboard ES and am going to check out how well it handles Zoneminder.

Are you guys overclocking? I noticed a decent performance gain going to 900mhz.

Im looking at using this camera module for a snapshot device on an elaborate mouse trap. Is any one else pulling images off the gpio pins? Or is it even possible?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Puddin posted:

Whether I'm using my MS wireless mouse, a medion wireless mouse and keyboard combo, or my Razer wired mouse, as soon as XBMC boots to the main screen, about 5 seconds later, the inputs stop working.
Get a regular old 2 button wired mouse - I had the same issues you are having.

Edit: beaten. Also get a wired keyboard.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

JerseyMonkey posted:

Also, the SD card port isn't really damaged. The pins seem to be fine and as long as I taped the SD card adapter, it should work, except it still wont boot/read SD cards.
I never got mine to read a micro sd - I had to use a full size sd card. I think I remember reading way back that the adapters might introduce inconsistency.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

AgentF posted:

I don't have another cable but I think I can borrow one and give it a try. This cable seems to work fine for connecting a laptop to the TV but maybe those are more tolerant than RPis?

Sounds to me like the TV isn’t sensitve enough to detect the signal from he Pi. I had an Insignia that wouldn't see my bluray player on start up, had to cycle the player to get it detected. In other words the digital signal isnt high enough to hit the hdmi input detection levl of your TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

ante posted:

Are there any $3 chinese ebay cases or something out there? I can't find anything less than $10 shipped to Canada and that's just too much
I'm buying rectangular hinged soap cases from Walmart for $1 and using a dremel to put in the appropriate holes.... They snap shut and come in a variety of off-putting colors.