Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
What is a good place to (pre) order a Raspberry Pi 2 that will get one relatively soon and not charge $18 for shipping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I wanted a Raspberry Pi 2, but got impatient, so I ordered an Odroid-C1 instead. I intend to use it as for console game emulation and for Plex access.

Then I ordered a RPi A+ just to mess around with. The first idea that came to mind was a system to alert my wife and I when the washer and dryer are finished. Is there an (cheap) ammeter I can connect to the GPIO pins and then wrap around the cords of the washer and dryer so the RPi will know when the machines are finished running (and then send an email, or better yet SMS)?

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 14, 2015

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I don't know the answer, but I can say that the Odroid-C1 is kind of half-rear end. It is roughly as powerful as the Pi 2, but the support is lacking, and there are design choices that make the Pi 2 a better choice for tinkering. Here are my problems with it so far:

The Android port is pretty much useless, because of very limited Wifi dongle support.
The microSD port is on the bottom, inaccessible when the board is mounted in a case, so OS experimentation requires disassembly.
The only commercially available case available sucks.
The only 3D printable case on Thingiverse is a piece of poo poo that won't stay together and lacks a hole for the IR receiver.
The Ubuntu distro requires that you modify the config files if you want display output to a DVI monitor, which makes it difficult to alternate between connecting the device to my monitor and my TV.
Rasplex does not work. Plex for Android MIGHT work, but with no Wifi, it doesn't really matter.
The power connector is poorly designed and comes unplugged VERY easily.
Requires a microHDMI to HDMI cable, which is not exactly ubiquitous. Apparently the device is quite picky about the quality of the cable (cheaper cables have ungrounded pins?)

The stuff I like:
Better wired ethernet performance than Pi 2 (gigabit), for whatever that's worth.
Fast enough to do real some real PC stuff on, in particular, web browsing does not make me want to kill someone.
Runs Kodi a million times better than my 256MB Pi A+, and Kodi is installed by default.
Includes an IR receiver. I have no idea how well this works, though.
eMMC support means quicker storage is an option, though I boot mine from a microSD card.

If the Android port improves, it could be a neat little device. I suspect that a really kick rear end Android port for Pi 2 will emerge long before anything like that happens.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Fuzz1111 posted:

By the way, what's the video driver situation like with the odroid? Are you able to do things like watch youtube in a browser?
You can play Youtube videos in a browser on the C1 in standard definition in the standard size, it gets stuttery if you try to watch an SD video full screen. Youtube HD video playback is unwatchable.

I get the feeling with the C1 that development will completely stop when Odroid releases their next model, where Pi 2 development will continue until the end of western civilization.

I should add that not only is the microSD location on the C1 bad for tinkering, it is very fiddly to insert cards, and the card is only held in by friction. The click-click mechanism on the newer Pi's is much better.

How is RasPlex on Pi 2?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I set up an Raspberry Pi 2 in my garage to act as a thin client for RDP to a computer I keep in my basement. The RP2 is connected via ethernet. The RP2 is connected directly to one of the ethernet ports on my router, which is also in the garage. The RP2 can connect to the internet with no problem. I can ping the router without issue. My network is set up kind of like what is shown in this diagram (black is wired, blue is wifi):

The primary router runs dd-wrt and the access points are cheap routers running OpenWRT, configured to run as access points. The primary router assigns pre-set IP addresses for every device on the network via DHCP (I know what machine has what IP).

When configured exactly as shown, I can make connections (ping, ssh, etc) between the laptop and the RP2. The RP2 can connect to the laptop, the router, and the internet, but CANNOT connect to any other device on my network. If I use the wifi on my laptop to connect to a different AP, I can't connect it to the RP2.

None of the other devices on the network have this problem. I have an Odroid C1, a FireTV stick, a couple of smartphones, a couple of Nooks, a Linux server, and a Windows PC in the basement. All of them can talk to each other and to the outside world without issue, even with multiple "layers" of switches/access points in between them.

I run a web server on the Odroid. My router (which has DDNS set up) is set up with port forwarding. I can't connect to the Odroid from the RP2 directly (ie http://192.168.1.x) , but I can if I refer to the Odroid as http://blahblah.dynamicdnsprovider.com.

WTF is going on here? Why is the RP2 the only device on the network that can't communicate properly with the other devices on the same subnet? I have another RP2 (connected via wifi), and it can speak directly to any other device on the network, regardless of switches and APs in between.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Methanar posted:

Make sure your computer's firewall has port 3389 open.

Does your second RP2 work where your first RP2 fails?

PC port 3389 is open, I can remote into it from my phone or via my laptop. My other RP2 (connected via wifi) has zero restrictions on connecting to other devices on my network. If I take the RP2 downstairs and connect it to a switch, everything works fine. It only gets weird when connected directly to the router via cable.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 14, 2015

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

The wifi RP2 is in a spot where I would rather not disconnect it.

If I connect the troublesome RP2 to a switch in my basement, I get normal connectivity. When I bring it back to the garage and connect it straight to the router, it gets all weird again.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

TheresaJayne posted:

Sounds like the physical port on the DD-wrt router has been configured as "DMZ" mode, I know that older versions of DD-WRT can configure the different physical ports as Lan or DMZ, this would explain the behaviour. It cannot talk inside the network but can talk out. you can however talk to it in the DMZ from the laptop. (this would alos suggest that it would also be accessible from the outside world as well.

Check the DD-Wrt settings.
I spent hours trying to figure this out, to no avail. I tried switching ports, moving my switches around, looking through every page of the dd-wrt config pages, connecting things alternately via wifi and wired ethernet, reseting dd-wrt to defaults.

I removed dd-wrt (this was an adventure all by itself; dd-wrt will only install another dd-wrt firmware image) and installed OpenWRT. Problem solved.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

$5 Raspberry Pi is pretty amazing. It would have been great if they could have gotten wifi in there, or at least left ethernet intact. I don't think there is much use for these things without networking of some kind. It seems to be that networking is more important to most RPi applications than output to a computer monitor.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I bought one of those, and it is pretty awesome for a $70 computer. Installing Windows was kind of a pain in the rear end because UEFI, but it runs Windows smooth enough for web browsing and streaming video. Included wifi, eMMC, power supply, case, and Bluetooth put it on almost even footing price-wise with a decked out Ras Pi 2. Plus it can actually be used for Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

mod sassinator posted:

The Liva has memory and storage included (2GB memory, 32GB eMMC storage), whereas NUCs don't come with any memory or storage and you need to provide your own. This makes the Liva little cheaper but not as flexible since a NUC can have bigger drives and more memory. For a lot of things like a little media player, network server, etc. the Liva storage and memory should be perfect.
You can add a larger drive to the Liva X. It has a spot for a mSATA drive. You can also add a drive through the USB 3.0 port like I did. I have 2.5 inch hard drives coming out of my ears from upgrading laptops to SSDs. Unfortunately there is no way to add more memory.

I am REALLY impressed by the usability the little thing offers for such a small amount of money. I need to try it out as a Steam in home streaming client. If it can do that, it is pretty close to the perfect cheapo HTPC; it sips power, is tiny, and it runs Windows, so it has access to pretty much every streaming service, including the ones that have restrictions depending on what consumer electronics streaming device you are using.

Edit to add: on a whim I bought a handful of the cheapest wifi dongles I could find from a US seller on ebay. The result: teensy tiny "150Mbps" RALink wifi dongles for $1.85 each, shipped to my door. And they actually work. Absolutely amazing. I remember wifi cards that cost $100+ and promised speeds up to 11 Mbps. Technology is amazing.

Hopefully someone will make a RPZ case that has some room inside for the adapters that convert microUSB into real USB and microHDMI into real HDMI.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 1, 2015

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I've been seeing a lot of references to ESP 8266 and Raspberry Pi. What advantage does one of these have compared to a USB wifi dongle? Are these 8266 things just popular right now because they represent a way to get wifi on a Pi Zero without having to use a USB OTG adapter?

I got one of those Orange Pi PCs from Aliexpress. I had to wait a couple of extra days for a power adapter from Amazon, but to my surprise, the thing actually works. The software support is loving garbage compared to RPi, but there is enough there to use one of these as a light duty file/print server. Does anyone know if the ethernet implementation is more robust than the RPi's hackjob ethernet?

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 11, 2015

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Order all your OTG USB hubs, GPIO ethernet parts, and other $2 electronics from aliexpress, and by the time that stuff arrives from China, the Zero will be closer to availability.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I've tried several different 5V 2A chargers and high quality USB cables, and I still get the warning rainbow square all the time, even when using the ethernet (no USB wifi power draw).

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I followed these instructions, and now I have ethernet on a Model A+ I bought by mistake. The same steps will add ethernet to a Pi Zero if anyone can ever get their hands on one. Now I need a case for the little ethernet chipset.

The ethernet using the little board attached to the SPI bus is pretty slow... somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.5 Mbps. Fast enough for most things you might want to do with an RPZ, I would think.

Is it possible to get RasPlex (or just PlexHT) running on Linux (not Android) on something like an Orange Pi or Odroid C1?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

So is this the reason behind the absolutely piss-poor availability of the Pi Zero? Almost three months after launch they are still almost impossible to find.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Amberskin posted:

Is that an issue? I mean, once you have booted from the SD /boot partition, you can switch to an USB based /root and forget about the SD card... Or do I miss something?
At the end of the day, all the I/O on the device comes out of the USB2 <500Mbps pool.

The last time I tried to use a Raspberry Pi 2 as a desktop machine, web browsing was sloooooow, even compared to a ten year old Core 2 Duo machine. A 50% speed increase and no extra RAM isn't going to fix that. Youtube barely worked, and there is also no support (as far as I can tell) for Netflix or any of the other paid video streaming outlets.

Working youtube for things like Khan Academy seems like it should be a pretty high priority for a company trying to sell simple computers for education.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 1, 2016

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Even for web browsing it will be slow as gently caress because 1GB RAM is not enough RAM for today's memory hungry desktop applications.

I tried the new Chromium OS port, and it is still crazy slow. The entire OS is stripped of everything not needed for running a browser, and it is still uselessly slow.

And Netflix and other paid streaming services are going to be somewhere between a headache and completely unavailable.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

So is there any chance the next Pi revision could get USB 3.0 (or 3.1)? That seems like it would solve a lot of the RasPi's problems. It would be great if they could upgrade from USB 2.0 to 3.0 and figure out some way to boot from something other than FAT32 partitions on slow, unreliable microSD cards.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I have a headless Pi that is connected via ethernet. I'd like to be able to SSH over bluetooth in case something goes wrong with my network (or I break the networking by messing with /etc/networking/interfaces). Is there a gold standard how-to for this? Everything I found references commands that are out of date. One would think that with Pi 3 this would be a hot item.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

The Chromium for ARM SBCs would be very interesting on that board.

As for the BT thing, I'd rather use one of the $3 USB BT adapters I already have, if possible.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

If you wait for a rebate/sale the ECS Liva X goes on sale for around $70 brand new.

Lenovo makes a compute stick clone. I think they're available for $100 brand new. I found one on craigslist for $40 and it works well.

If its going to run Linux, it is hard to beat a Chromebook.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Furism posted:

I have a couple of Raspberry 2 lying around and gathering dust. I'd like to turn them into Wifi Access Points for my home network in bridge mode (that is wire them to the Ethernet port and use the Wifi as a hotspot, when clients connect to the AP they get an IP address from the LAN DHCP server). Does anybody know of a good USB Wifi card, with an antenna, that supports bridging and AP? And known to work with Raspbian (which really means Debian, I guess)?

I attempted to do exactly that with a TP-Link TL-WN722N USB wifi adapter and a Raspberry Pi 2. I got it working using hostapd, but the performance was something like 2 Mbps. You have to be careful about picking your wifi card, because a lot of them don't support AP mode. The adapter uses the well-supported Atheros AR9271 chip. Wifi Analyzer on my cell phone said the signal was strong, but I think it might have worked better with the wifi card running from a powered USB hub.

As far as I can tell, support for wireless AC adapters is somewhere between very poor and nonexistent. Some cards work, but you will have to do some Github work to get a driver working.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I'm posting this on a Raspberry Pi 2 running Chromium for SBC 0.5 "Sam Kinison." The developers have done an absolutely amazing job since v0.4 in making the software usable on the Pi. There is some lag, and pages load more slowly than they do on my Lenovo Stick PC, or a real desktop computer, but the experience is definitely good enough for web browsing in a location where a full computer is not appropriate. If they can make this kind of jump again between now and the final product, they will have something pretty cool on their hands.

Youtube actually plays OK in full screen (480p stream quality on a 720p TV).

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

It works okay. A better option is running pf Sense on an old laptop and using the pfBlockerNG plugin. Same goal, more reliable hardware (including baked in UPS).

Wireless support in pfSense is piss poor, so you'll probably need an access point.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Skarsnik posted:

that sounds like a silly overkill solution in the raspberry pi thread but whatever dude
Laptops with broken screens appear on my local craigslist all the time for less money than a Raspberry Pi. They usually come with a power supply as well.

My personal experience with the "reliability" of Raspberry Pis and their microSD cards is that the only reason to use a RasPi for anything is if you need GPIO capabilities.

The Pi Foundation cant's switch to USB3 and eMMC or SATA for storage soon enough.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

I have a Liva X that I've been trying to get Ubuntu installed on, it doesn't recognize the eMMC as bootable after I install. But it does work on Windows 10.
You can install an mSATA drive in those. You might want to get a cheap mSATA drive on ebay, or a cheap M2 card pulled from a Chromebook, then pair with an M2 to mSATA adapter. I had a Liva X in my garage for looking at service manuals and playing Google Music on the stereo, but I replaced it with a broken Core i5 laptop.

Scrungy old laptops with broken screens tend to have:
included power brick that can power the laptop without those little rainbow squares
a case (you don't have to buy or 3D print one)
built in UPS (the battery, it doesn't have to hold much of a charge to survive a brownout)
real storage controllers
the ability to power most USB devices (Raspberry Pi really sucks at this)
storage devices with wear leveling algorithms and some level of fault tolerance
the entire base of x86/x64 drivers (the Wifi driver situation on ARM is pretty dire, particularly for 5GHz)
most have Intel integrated graphics, which have excellent driver support in Linux
built in gigabit LAN that can come very close to saturating gigabit
built in wifi with better antennas than that garbage PCB antenna on the Pi 3
CPUs that blow away the SBCs; even a Core 2 Duo is several times more powerful than a Pi 3
the ability to hold at least 2GB memory (even the crappiest Atom netbooks can hold 2GB RAM)
if you are lucky/patient, USB3 is a possibility
the ability to hold a small SSD plus a hard drive via optical drive sled if necessary

I come across laptops that meet most of these criteria for $30 or less all the time.

If you don't need GPIO, use tossed aside Intel stuff.

Is there any way to use an Arduino or a Pi as a USB slave device for the purposes of doing GPIO work on a PC (really I just want to tickle a 5V relay)?

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 8, 2016

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Moey posted:

Just want to say thanks for this. Snagged a 32gb Samsung mSATA SSD for $13 bucks shipped off eBay. Should give me a nice performance boost over the the eMMC.

Edit: Why did you replace it, and what are you doing with the Liva-X now?
I got the laptop for peanuts (screen is broken but HDMI output is fine), it is considerably more powerful than the Liva X (i5 vs Atom, double the RAM), and it has the ability to hold two 2.5" SATA drives. I sold the Liva X on ebay.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

Are the labels worth literally anything at all, or should I just go for the cheapest option that ships from the US and run a f3 testing cycle on it?
The Chromebook ones aren't going to be speed demons, but they will deliver fast boot times and so on. I've used some Kingston and Sandisk m2 units, the Sandisk ones seem to be a little faster. Either variety beats the onboard eMMC in the Liva X. They completely embarass the i/o performance of a Raspberry Pi microSD filesystem, but you knew that already.

I don't think the m2-mSATA adapter cards have any logic onboard, so just get a cheap one.

The Wifi card in the Liva X can be easily replaced with a $10 Intel 7260 802.11ac/BT4.0 card from ebay. I got Wifi speeds well in excess of fast ethernet speeds when connected to my Unifi UAP AC Lite access point.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Getting some things to work on newer Raspbian versions can be really tough when the goal you are trying to achieve is well documented in older versions, but has changed and is poorly documented in newer releases.

I spent a lot of time banging my head against the wall trying to get serial over BT working on a Raspberry Pi 2 running jessie. All of the tutorials were written for wheezy, and the solutions were no longer valid in jessie.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Pi isn't perfect. The Raspbian developers change things all the time, and finding help can be really hard when 100 tutorials have been written about how to enable serial over Bluetooth (or hostapd or ...) on an old version of Raspbian, but none of them work with the current version.

Getting Wifi and BT things working on older Pi models is going to get harder and harder as all of the focus shifts to the built in BT and Wifi on the Pi 3.

I have used an Odroid C1 and an Orange Pi PC, so I have seen that Pi has better "support" than most SBCs. I'd still rather do things with x86 if I can. I wonder if AMD could make any money diversifying into the SBC market. Make a reference design and let their usual board partners go nuts. A really cheap x86 SBC with a minimal number of GCN units and a couple of Jaguar cores would probably be useful for something. It seems like compatibility would be pretty good at least. All of the current x86 SBC products have been based on Atom.

Is there any place in America where I can order a bunch of Pi Zero boards at once?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Just as a reminder, Raspberry Pi Zero was first offered for sale nine and half months ago, and you still can't buy them in a reasonable way. Yes, I can get ONE from Adafruit, but then I have to pay $10 shipping for a $5 computer. When will I be able to buy the ten units I want to buy from Amazon for $5 each with reasonable (Prime) shipping?

A woman can craft a human being in less time than it has taken the Pi Foundation to get their supply issues sorted out.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Just as a PSA, Liva Mini PCs are available on ebay for $65. These things are Intel Bay Trail-M computers just a tiny bit bigger than a Pi, but packing 32GB of super-reliable (compared to microSD lolololol) eMMC storage, 2GB RAM, dual core x86 CPU, a fully documented OSS-friendly GPU, gigabit Ethernet, and USB 3.0 all inside of a 15W power envelope. The case, storage, and power supply are all included. This thing has all the stuff the Pi Foundation should have been working on instead of their nearly singular focus on cranking up clock speed.

The $65 units are missing the BT/Wi-Fi card, but you can use AW-NB136NF cards (~$6 ebay) to add 5 GHz 802.11n and BT4.0. This specific card uses an SDIO interface, not PCIe. The M.2 connector is only wired for SDIO, so SSDs and fancier Wi-Fi cards will not work (I've tried).

So $70 gets you a power-sipping computer that is ready to rumble, won't quit working after a power outage, and runs the full complement of x86 software for Windows or Linux. You will miss out on GPIO pins, but you could use an Arduino or a USB relay for a lot of of the stuff you might use GPIO for.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I probably could. I have a Pi that has it loaded but it's a pain to get configured.

Looking at this ad again, it says no accessories. Does that mean the power adapter isn't included? Trying to figure out how it's powered. Is it the micro USB?

I previously bought two from ascendtech on ebay. One came with everything except the Wi-Fi card. The second unit was missing the Wi-Fi card and the Wi-Fi antennas. Both came with power adapters. The power connector is a micro USB jack, but these things are looking for up to 3A at 5V (about 20% more than a Raspberry Pi 3).

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 20, 2016

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

apropos man posted:

I didn't realise Pi3 sucked that much power (3A). Where's it all going?

As an owner two Pi's and a Pi2 I think the best option at the moment is to look for cheap Pi2's. I'm tempted to get another, even though I have no immediate use for it, apart from maybe upgrading my Pi that's currently running a VPN and Pi-hole.

I wouldn't bother with Pi2s. Eventually you will want to add something via Bluetooth or Wifi. The documentation for non-Pi3 Bluetooth is already crumbling apart with every Raspbian update, and non-Pi3 Wi-Fi will probably be next. As pointless as the SoC upgrade on the Pi3 is, the integrated wireless connectivity additions are worthwhile, even in a world where USB 802.11n Wi-Fi adapters cost less than $2 shipped to your door from China.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

ECS makes several different Liva models. The Liva Mini is the smallest of the bunch. All the rest are a little bigger, but tend to reward with features like a full-fat mPCIe connector, mSATA, more USB ports, higher performance (some are quad-core and offer more RAM and larger eMMC storage). This particular unit is closest to the Pi in size, cost, and power requirements.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

M.2 is a complicated connector. Some M.2 slots are SATA electrically, some are PCIe, some are SDIO.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

This is more of an Arduino question, but this seems like the thread for it. I sold an old Dell Optiplex 380 desktop computer running Windows 10 (64) to a guy who wanted to run Vixen and use an Arduino Mega 2560 to control a bunch of Christmas lights. He says the setup worked on a newer HP Envy (OS unknown). He transferred the setup to the Dell. He can program the Arduino, but when he runs Vixen one of the solid-state relays flickers and the rest do nothing.

Does this sound like a power delivery problem? I wonder if the setup was plugged into a USB 3.0 port on this other machine (USB 3.0 is rated to deliver way more power than USB 2.0 iirc).

If so, how could he get more power into the Arduino while maintaining the data connection needed for the blinkenlights? Splice together a barrel connector to the end of a USB cable plugged into a second USB port?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

wolrah posted:

I can go to Microcenter and pick one up any day of the week. I assume they're similarly available elsewhere.

Microcenter won't sell Raspberry Pi online. Adafruit is the only US online store with the Zero, and their shipping is unreasonable.

If you don't have a Microcenter nearby, you're pretty much out of luck.

My acquaintance with the arduino problems got things sorted out. The problem was with the Vixen software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I have found that most 5V relays work just fine with 3.3V. If you find a relay that triggers on low (ground) rather than high (3.3 or 5v) signal, you can drive control them through GPIO. I have used electromechanical relays on ESP8266 this way and they work just fine, and ESP8266 has even less juice on its GPIO pins (something like 12 mA max).

If all you want to do is control a relay, an even easier way to do it is with one of these. With the USB relay you don't have to worry about frying GPIO pins or disconnecting the relay from the Pi (or PC or whatever).

Driver software is available for Mac OS, Windows, and Linux. I haven't used the Windows software, so I don't know if it requires disabling driver signing or not.