Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolex
May 5, 2001

syphon posted:

The problem is that I just don't know what options are out there.
A buddy of mine uses Zoneminder on an ubuntu laptop for this, but I found this guide on using it on a Raspi here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolex
May 5, 2001

xtothez posted:

gently caress RS forever.
I got that same email from RS but they indicated it still may be a few months before I get mine. I signed up on the first day of pre-orders. I can't even remember if they have my $35.

Dolex
May 5, 2001

Nybble posted:

I didn't see it in the OP. Where's the best place to pick one up in America?
right now, $80 on ebay... everywhere else will put you on a list

Dolex
May 5, 2001

syphon posted:

In case anyone is interested, I got Zoneminder working. My take from it is that Raspberry Pi is not very good with cameras.

I bought a Microsoft USB webcam, which advertises 720p video (and a hasty googling showed to work just fine on linux). Apparently, something to do with the Pi's USB port means that it won't do any better than 320x240. Even running a single camera at 1fps with Zoneminder sets the cpu load >1 quite a lot. You can forget about motion detection, recording video, or multiple cameras.

I hear that IP cameras might work better, since it offloads all the video compression onto the device itself. I'm gonna try it with one of them next to see how much it works. If anything, this experience makes me really want to build up a beefy linux box to run zoneminder with 5-6 IP cameras!
I am having the same experience that you are, Raspi being lovely at performance. I got a Pandaboard ES and am going to check out how well it handles Zoneminder.