Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

DeaconBlues posted:

I found yet another cool use for the Pi yesterday: Steam Link.

If you use Steam on your PC and have an Nvidia 700 series and above GPU (some 600 series are also supported) you can play games in another room on your TV.

I used this guide

http://www.howtogeek.com/220969/turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-steam-machine-with-moonlight/

and was surprised when everything ran perfectly on first run without even having to tinker with display modes.

It's not exactly a new thing, but heads up to anyone who might get some mileage out of it.
What's the point of this when a Steam Link box is $50? Not being sarcastic. I'm also a bit confused about the mixup of Nvidia Shield and the Steam Link in the article?

I have a Pi, but it's dedicated as a Kodi media center. I read it's not normal to use a Pi for more than one primary application?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

PBCrunch posted:

You can install an mSATA drive in those. You might want to get a cheap mSATA drive on ebay, or a cheap M2 card pulled from a Chromebook, then pair with an M2 to mSATA adapter. I had a Liva X in my garage for looking at service manuals and playing Google Music on the stereo, but I replaced it with a broken Core i5 laptop.

Scrungy old laptops with broken screens tend to have:
included power brick that can power the laptop without those little rainbow squares
a case (you don't have to buy or 3D print one)
built in UPS (the battery, it doesn't have to hold much of a charge to survive a brownout)
real storage controllers
the ability to power most USB devices (Raspberry Pi really sucks at this)
storage devices with wear leveling algorithms and some level of fault tolerance
the entire base of x86/x64 drivers (the Wifi driver situation on ARM is pretty dire, particularly for 5GHz)
most have Intel integrated graphics, which have excellent driver support in Linux
built in gigabit LAN that can come very close to saturating gigabit
built in wifi with better antennas than that garbage PCB antenna on the Pi 3
CPUs that blow away the SBCs; even a Core 2 Duo is several times more powerful than a Pi 3
the ability to hold at least 2GB memory (even the crappiest Atom netbooks can hold 2GB RAM)
if you are lucky/patient, USB3 is a possibility
the ability to hold a small SSD plus a hard drive via optical drive sled if necessary

I come across laptops that meet most of these criteria for $30 or less all the time.

If you don't need GPIO, use tossed aside Intel stuff.

Is there any way to use an Arduino or a Pi as a USB slave device for the purposes of doing GPIO work on a PC (really I just want to tickle a 5V relay)?
There are a few things that make a Pi superior as a media center for me: It's tiny, uses next to no power, and has no need for a fan. A crummy old laptop wheezing by on too little RAM and CPU isn't excactly a star in terms of speed an stability either. I'd prefer the Pi even to a free laptop.

After putting my 3TB harddrive in my new Asus gigabit router (with USB 3.0) as a form of network-wide NAS, I don't really mind the slow ethernet of the Pi anymore. It reads files fast enough to play them.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Are Kodi (on Pi) questions okay in here?

I have a Pi2 with Kodi (OpenElec 7, Kodi 16) hooked up to my TV, and use my real remote to control it. When browsing up and down file or folder lists with the "arrow keys" on my remote, I would like if it was able to move faster between the items. Is that delay configurable somehow?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Froist posted:

It's not the ideal answer to your question, but you may be able to press right, then use the up and down keys to move the scrollbar rather than individual items. This definitely scrolls the list quicker.
Yeah I know, but that can be cumbersome also. Usually when I hit the top of the scrolling, then "click" left, the bottommost item is selected, forcing me to move all the way up the list to reach the top item. First World Problem, but annoying.