Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

eddiewalker posted:

Any Pi will run CUPS. You could go zero-W but you'd need some dongles, and could have hiccups with large docs. 3B or 4 are safe choices.

Basically this

I use a Pi Zero W with a microUSB-to-printer cable and it's adequate for two people's infrequent printing needs. It does take a while to get spun up on larger documents (especially image-based PDFs), and while it hasn't straight up choked yet, it probably would if I fed it a large scan. I'm only using it because it's what I had on hand, and sooner or later I'll drop $20 on a 3A+, or retire one of my 3B+ from BOINC duty after this CoViD stuff is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’ve been watching EC occasionally over the past year or so. Maybe the most bafflingly bad theme song I’ve ever heard on a show, YouTube or not

But in, like, a way that totally fits too. Like it’s clearly inspired by the How It’s Made song but it didn’t quite set right.

Bizarro How It’s Made

It reminds me of the Discovery Channel "this is what the future will be" shows I watched as a kid, circa mid-90's, with a lower production value (not a high bar to begin with). And yeah it totally works in its own weird way.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Is upgrading from a Pi 3 to a P4 as simple as swapping the SD card (assuming no overclocking or other manual hardware-oriented tweaks)? Or is there persistent firmware/kernel configuration stuff that is likely to break?