Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
You can't even register for the RS Components site with a non-UK address... so I dunno...

Farnell has an 'export' site, that seems alright, no idea what shipping will cost. Actually clicking on the 'Preorder' button just gives an error every time though.

I wish I had a screenshot of the Raspberry Pi guys smuggly bragging how they were 'totally aware' what the load would be like and had it all figured out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I'm glad I only had to stay up to midnight here, what a waste of time.

Sounds like anyone in the US is just screwed. Even when Farnell's 'export' site finally comes back, who knows what shipping will cost, usually with regular electronics component distributors they really screw you. Guess we'll have to see how much they cost on ebay, (my guess is at least $100), or when the second batch becomes available.

btw, Farnell's US branch (both are owned by element14 or something) is Newark. But it's not on Newark's site.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Twitter is saying Farnell may aleady be sold out, but I can't imagine how that's possible since the site was dead in less than a minute.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I have a big Liebert always online UPS and setup network ups tools on my raspberry pi, then my NAS and pfsense router are ups clients. Works great. If you get fancy with the configs you can do things like have the NAS shut down almost immediately, but the wireless stays up for 10-15 minutes before it shuts down the UPS.

Slight caution: The FreeNAS network ups tools automatic configs are *completely hosed* as a network ups client and will not shutdown until after power is cut, 100%. You have to manually edit the config files.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I'm in the middle of rebuilding my rpi image using docker for some of the things it's running (unifi controller for example). Once I take another swing at the nut config I'll post it. There was something odd about shutting down the rpis properly if I recall.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Have there been any official comments about supply of pi4 (I guess specifically compute module 4 is what I'm interested in)? There was that one post back in like October where they raised the price and bought back a 1GB RAM version or something, but I haven't heard anything since then even though supply is much worse now.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
The most recent raspberry pi OS by default writes both the journal and the syslog copy to disk, unfortunately. Eat poo poo, SD cards.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I have a couple compute module 4's with eMMC. Hard to know how long they'll last though. I've been trying to go through and rip out everything extra from the raspberry pi lite install, but maybe I'm looking at it backwards.

Anybody have suggestions for a clean distro that behaves like some of the app-in-a-box distros (pihole, octopi) ie is setup for minimal/reduced writes out of the box? I really just need to install docker and network UPS tools. Maybe ntpd or chrony.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I can confirm that pishop's notification system just does nothing. I'm signed up for any ram size compute module (with no wifi and no emmc) and they've been in stock for sure since I signed up and didn't even get an email after the fact.

I wish I could just put a deposit down to get any 1/2/4/8gb cm4 shipped as soon as they come in stock. I have a project that's just going to be stuck sitting soon if I can't find one by the end of the year or so.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

I would like to play with a completely toy solar + battery setup for a Pi with some sensors, but some quick math showed me that even a Pi Zero 2 sucks down a considerable amount of power at idle, so I'm going to have to complicate my setup some more with a small microcontroller that wakes up the Pi occasionally, then cuts power.

Does anyone have a recommended solar + charger setup that they've validated works? I don't need small, so I'm really tempted to go with a cheap LiFePO4 or even NiMH battery back of some type, also because those are less likely to burn if I gently caress something up. To solve power usage, I'm thinking of throwing a Pi Pico in there too, having it spend almost all of its time in deep sleep mode, and then waking up according to a timer, letting the pi run long enough to do its thing, and then shutting it down again.

Also, does anyone have a recommended LoRaWAN setup for a Pi? My vision here is a self-contained solar powered box with sensors that can use LoRaWAN to wirelessly send values over line of sight about 1km.

Assuming you're not particularly interested in embedded C, definitely look at micropython on a ESP32 board w/ wifi or a pi pico W and skip the full pi zero entirely.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Well.. I didn't think I'd get here, but does anybody have any recommendations or positive (hah) experiences with RPi scalpers? I need a couple CM4's and have a project that's just dead in the water without them. Specifically ones w/o wifi or emmc, but I'm flexible on memory. Ideally no more than $100 ea but, ugh...

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Olly the Otter posted:

I need some help. A vendor sent us a prototype of something that's loaded on one of these:
https://www.newark.com/raspberry-pi/cm4008032/rpi-compute-module-4-8gb-ram-32gb/dp/40AJ6746

They also sent us absolutely nothing in the way of instructions. All we have is the device. So the first order of business is to make a backup of whatever OS image is already loaded. I want to do this before we even boot it up, so that in case we mess something up, we can restore it to the original state.

The problem is, I can't figure out how to mount the storage for external reading/writing. I've tried to follow this guide:
https://www.interelectronix.com/installing-raspberry-pi-os-raspberry-compute-module-4.html

I believe we put the jumper in the right place; and we connected the Pi's USB slave port to my computer and supplied power to the Pi, and I ran the "rpiboot" command on my computer. But all I get is this:

code:
RPIBOOT: build-date Feb 24 2023 version 20221215~105525 864863bc
Waiting for BCM2835/6/7/2711...
And the Pi's storage never shows up as a USB device on my computer.

Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

I've worked a bit with Raspberry Pi's in the past, but they always had an SD-card. So I'd just remove the SD-card and put it in a USB SD-card reader, which worked fine. But this Raspberry Compute Module 4 with built-in flash storage is new to me, and I'm a bit at a loss as to how to work with it.

I haven't messed with every weird boot config so take this with a grain of salt. Also the information is a little confusing.
The second stage boot loader can be configured to check for usbboot or not, however this is separate from the nRPIBOOT gpio. So they might have disabled this, but it shouldn't technically prevent usbboot.
https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/raspberry-pi.html#raspberry-pi-4-bootloader-configuration

The first stage boot room is what checks the nRPIBOOT gpio, and can enter something called 'USB device boot' which I think is implied to be usbboot. But for some reason they didn't use the same language for it they used in the second stage bootloader. It also mentions 'recovery.bin' here and automatically updating the SPI eeprom which is kind of odd.
https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/raspberry-pi.html#raspberry-pi-4-boot-flow

Also, if they enabled secure boot and burned the OTP flags you will not be able to do anything even if you get it into RPIBOOT mode, because you cannot change the EEPROM configuration and you cannot load the kernel for usb device mode into ram.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
If high side switching is preferred, do a high side P-channel MOSFET and then the gate drive can be either a little logic-level mosfet or just a 2n3904 or whatever bjt is handy. Since you have 12 volts might as well take advantage.

If you really just want a single low-side mosfet and SMT is okay then go for something like https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/anbon-semiconductor-int-l-limited/AS2312/16708465

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 28, 2023

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I also looked at that for the same reason (ultimately both cats just ended up on the same food).

It's definitely doable even if they look similar, when you're dealing with two specific cats. But you need a lot of training data, in a variety of lighting conditions, etc..etc.. it can easily pick up on differences you don't expect.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
According to rpilocator there were Zero 2 W's in stock at adafruit as recently as last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I'm genuinely curious to see what the Compute Module 5 ends up being. I wonder if there's any more PCIe lanes on the cpu that they could bring out. The CM4 and Pi 5 only expose 1 lane, but the Pi 5 processor has at least 4 more lanes going to the 'southbridge' for lack of a better term. Seems odd if it had exactly 5 lanes, so I'm cautiously hopeful we might see 2 lanes (dare to dream) exposed? That would mean changing the pinout of the CM4 connector though, which I don't think they'll want to do unless perhaps something else was obsoleted anyway.