Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Well at least the launch wasn't as botched as it was with the OpenPandora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Allwinner A20 is kinda poo poo.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

BrainDance posted:

Some of you guys seem so dead set on the banana pi being poo poo.

They didn't pick a good SoC though. The A20 is weak as piss, they could have at least gone with one of the higher and Rockchip SoCs.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

After following the Pi for ages I finally bought one. Just an A+ I'm gonna use as a torrent box (I have a USB network adapter).

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

YouTuber posted:

Anyone able to comment on how well Moonlight runs on the Pi3? I plan on upgrading my gaming rig some time this year or early 2017. Initially I'll be using the Pi3 as a NAS (yeah I'm aware of the USB/Ethernet bus sharing) but once the new gaming rig comes on line I'll shunt the old box to NAS duty. The new box will be the first I've owned that has a 600+ series card. I'm kinda interested on how well Moonlight works.

By all reports it works fine, though you miss out on h265 support.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The next version of the Pi really needs h265 decoding support, it's probably the biggest showstopper from it being the perfect media streaming device. VP9 would be nice too.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I also bought one of those Liva mini PCs, even though I have no real practical need. Any ideas on something to run?

You could throw this on it: http://emulationstation.org/

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Emulators have gotten better since the XBOX and with that they've also gotten a lot more demanding. The Pi's suite of emulators, with some exceptions, are based on older versions which are less compatible and accurate than what you can use on a modern PC. MAME and SNES suffers from this the most, 8/16bit Sega stuff is close to perfect on the Pi though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Rutibex posted:

That's surprising, isn't the raspberry pi Linux based? I thought most emulators were written for Linux natively by super nerds then ported to PC afterwards.

You can run newer emulators on the Pi, they're often just too slow to be usable.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Not to say it isn't dedicated hardware, but I stream games to my Shield at 4k/60 from a GTX 1080 using NVENC via Steam Remote Play or whatever all the time.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Any Nvidia video card capable of 4K gaming at reasonable settings can also encode 4K/60 h265 video in real time, though the last gen cards can only do it at 4:2:0. On most TVs this would barely be visible in games anyway and Turing can do full 4:4:4.

A Pi4 should be able to decode that.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

G-Prime posted:

Are you sure it's actually being encoded at 4k rather than at 1080p? That would shock the hell out of me and I'll gladly eat my words.

Yes, with 10bit/HDR even (though only through nvidia's streaming tool). The nvenc encode block is capable of encoding several 4k streams at once too, though it's software locked to two streams in consumer cards.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I wanted one of those the moment I saw it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Someone should make little Pi gamer cases with a plexiglass window and LED strips inside.

Maybe butcher an old 3310 to make a mini version of the Nokia-like cases that were around in the early 00s.

(That's the only image I could find btw, were they actually a thing? Seemed like every second person had one at LAN parties back in the day)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Well what do you expect from a british company I guess, of course they're fash.