Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

take_it_slow posted:

The OS is installed on an SSD housed in an external UASP-compatible enclosure connected via one of the usb3 ports.

Which UASP enclosure are you using? Does it actually bind to the uas driver? The ones I have are blacklisted in the kernel and fall back to usb-storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

tuyop posted:

I’m interested in whether those USB/ethernet hats would let you use the 4 as a pfsense box

wolrah posted:

You could definitely use OpenWRT though.

Yep, OpenWRT is the way to go for this use case. The Pi 4 can also work well as a router on a stick with a managed switch that does VLANs for a connection with a combined upstream+downstream of less than 500mbps.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

tuyop posted:

Aw drat, I have gigabit.

I think maybe some of these things are just more suited for a Linux server made out of an old workstation or something.

Do love my pi doing pihole+vpn+transmission duty though. And the talk of audio stuff has me planning how I could use some of these old RPi 2s as airplay clients when we move to a bigger place next year.

Oh the Pi 4 can route a full gigabit no problem, as long as you use a USB 3.0 GigE adapter for one of the interfaces. It's only in the router on a stick configuration (LAN & WAN both using the built in port plugged into a managed switch breaking out a separate VLAN for each) that you won't be able to do more than 500Mbps combined. The limitation in that case is the shared single ethernet port, not the Pi CPU.

Also, grats on the gigabit internet connection

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 29, 2021

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Fart, double post

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Ffmpeg can accept input via a pipe, and output to stdout. There are modules for it to take advantage of the hardware h.264 encoder in the SOC too but you might still have to build them manually.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Look what just arrived

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Still less expensive than an off the shelf IP-KVM :homebrew:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

If you're going to run a whole rear end PC server anyway why bother with RPis for server duty at all? Just set up some VMs or containers.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

USB PD is magical and every device up to 100W should implement it.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

To start with, you'll need a subwoofer.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

sinky posted:

I ordered a Pico W the day before this poo poo happened :negative:
Might just throw it in the bin when it arrives.

While this is certainly a bad move for them from a PR standpoint, it does not make existing Pi hardware useless or bad. There's no need to performatively destroy any tiny computers over this.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

Hadn't thought about it in some time, but has anybody ever developed a good way to reboot a headless rpi?
Mine might be crashed, but I had setup a script to reboot it if the network connection crashed. Now I am trying to remember what timeout I had set, before deciding whether to power-cycle it by pulling the plug.

And have there been any new developments on how to get a monitor and keyboard attached, except for a ludicrously priced wireless kvm.

Buy another pi and a pikvm kit and attach it to your other headless pi lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Rexxed posted:

That's a good idea, but then you want another one in case that one locks up. Some kind of PiKVM pi rebooter. I think with a few hundred bucks in Pis we can solve this problem.

It's pis all the way down.

But maybe you're onto something here. What if the first headless pi is wired up to reboot the pikvm pi rebooter pi like some sort of piroboros eating its tail?