Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

blunt posted:

Just in case anyone else was wondering about this, it turns out Plex won't do any transcoding on ARM chips :(

Does emby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Is something like this what I need to be able to use a rpi to turn power off to 110V devices? That's really just one of my first Googlin' results, so if there's anything good or better tell me what it is!

This isn't for anything important, I'm just wanting to do a little project for fun to let me turn some things on/off programmatically.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I just got my HDMI splitter/passthru ambilight thingy working. I'm pretty pumped about that. I haven't done an electronics(ish) project like this in 20 years.

So now I have my Shield HDMI hooked up to an HDMI splitter. One of the outputs goes to my TV and the other output goes HDMI-to-AV-converter > AV-to-USB-device > Pi 3B. Got a strip of WS2801 LED lights around the backside of my TV hooked up to the GPIO on the Pi and using Hyperion software to capture from the USB thing and control the LEDs accordingly.

I've still got to adjust the white balance and stuff, but I'm just relieved my soldering skills didn't screw it up.

For those unfamiliar it looks like this randomly-googled video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur0HDE-U7vw

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

wolrah posted:

Backlighting behind a display makes it easier on the eyes when watching in the dark, and IIRC the color backlighting helps perceived contrast.

Mainly this. The static white light version is called a bias light...not sure if you'd call this the same thing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Just Google bias lighting. It's mostly not noticeable, that video just picked some scenes that pump up the wow factor.

Or maybe you wouldn't like it, who knows.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

PBCrunch posted:

If all you want to do is control a relay, an even easier way to do it is with one of these. With the USB relay you don't have to worry about frying GPIO pins or disconnecting the relay from the Pi (or PC or whatever).

Well that's cool, I never even thought to look for such a thing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

What kind of runtime can I expect out of a Zero W running on a usb battery pack? Thinking about making a timelapse camera.

Obviously it'll depend on how often I'm taking pictures, if I'm uploading, etc, but anyone have any experience running any Pi like this?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Wow the Zero W is very competitive with the A+ plus it has onboard wifi and Bluetooth. I've never been able to setup a TCP/IP link over Bluetooth but it looks like it'd make a great low power robotics controller. My A+ had a janky 4 port unpowered hub hanging off it to do wifi (general file transfer) and Bluetooth (PS3 controller)

It would be nice if they actually ship these in quantity where I can buy one in a store for under $50 someday

FWIW, I picked one up at the Microcenter in St. Louis, MO. They had dozens of them just sitting in a basket for $10.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

xtal posted:

The important part I forgot to mention is the remote server that handles editing and compilation. All my Pixel has to do is shell in to an on-demand EC2 server with tmux, vim, Haskell, Rust, etc. This is pretty much an Android thin client since I live inside the console -- all the phone has to use is JuiceSSH. But trying to compile Haskell or Rust directly on the phone is admittedly impractical.

If all you're doing is SSH'ing in I see no problem with it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Pi-Finder#adafruit-raspberry-pi-finder

You might find that useful, it'll find a new pi on a network, ssh in and set a load of variables

That's cool. I always hate setting up a new Pi and digging around for cables to plug it in etc.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

General_Failure posted:

What exactly do you want to do? I guess you want the core services of the Linux kernel and nothing else or something? Or are you looking at using it as an overblown uC or a quasi RTOS?
It's probably no use to you but there's Ultibo. It's kind of a framework for writing your own embedded stuff on a Pi. But it's Pascal.

lol, it's hard to believe someone came up with the idea of using Pascal of all things on a project started so recently that it targets the Pi.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'm basically a know-nothing, but it seems like the Zero W would have been better served by an edge connector like what you see on PCI cards or whatever. Then you could just slide headers or whatever module right on the thing.

Am I wrong?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Edge connector needs a socket, and then you attach wires to... What exactly? Another header set of vertical pins on the motherboard? Header pins are great because they're the smallest object a human can hand soldier a wire to, they're the universal interface for home projects for a reason.

They do sell a compute module with edge connectors for an so-dimn socket but they're designed for industrial customers which is a different market.

The point was that if you wanted to attach wires you could use a header with a socket, and then modules wouldn't need any soldering. Just seems like it'd open new markets for them.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Though, I did just realize you can get a hammer header that you literally hit(!) into the holes on the zero...

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/gpio-hammer-header

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I have the tools and the ability to solder it on, but I've done about 30 minutes of soldering work over the past 20 years...I'm super slow, messy, and not confident in the results.

In other words there's a huge required-skill-level difference between a hammer and soldering.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

huhu posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say that I ended up dropping $5 for https://pushover.net/ With just a few lines of code I can get my RaspPi Python script to send push notifications to my phone. I imagine there are free alternatives but it was insanely simple to setup and that was good for me.

As for a free alternative...if you're using Android you can use Join which has a simple to use API.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Huh, they must've went paid some time after I first started using it.

I switched to join after pushover went paid.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Two questions:

1. Is the Zero W fast enough for real time face recognition? I have no experience in this field but I'd like to begin dabbling in some computer vision stuff.

2. Can anyone recommend a case that fits the Zero W (or whatever is fast enough for face recog) and the camera? I guess it'd be cool if it had some provision for mounting, but I can jury-rig something...

edit: The answer to 1 seems to be "not really"...it can do about a face every 5 seconds. That's when it's trying to recognize the person (comparing to just one known face) from the face rather than just detecting faces.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 9, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Super Slash posted:

I've got my eyes set on the official zero case as it's built to house the pi and camera in one slim package, no mounting options but it's just bare smooth plastic.

I went ahead and ordered this last week after posting here...supposed to be here tomorrow.

The Zero is slower than I'd like, but I'll make do for now.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

KyloWinter posted:

Aren't smart lights wifi? I really don't want to crowd my wifi network anymore than it is. If they are bluetooth are they reliable? Bluetooth would unpair for me in the past randomly. Since I'd use it as an alarm I need something very reliable.

I would want some light that would create a bright enough light to wake me up, 300 lux let's say, and can dim.

Some are wifi, some are bluetooth, some are zigbee, some are z-wave, some are proprietary protocols.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

Has anyone gotten ZDoom to work, and could you tell me how to do it? I've installed it and it plays a shareware version without sound. I put the official Doom wad files in the right folder, but I don't know what to do next. The website tells me to make a nano script but I don't even know what that is, this is the first time I'm using Linux at all, so how do I get it to play the official wads?

This doesn't have anything to do with the Raspberry Pi.

Maybe there's a zdoom thread, but you'll probably need to find if there's (un)official zdoom forums.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hmm, an e-ink display for some sort of notifications could be pretty legit.

Maybe something displaying the status of my smart home devices...

edit: not sure what a good mounting or case solution would look like for one of these. Anyone seen any examples?

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 29, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I like ConEmu for multiple putty, bash, and powershell tabs in one window.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

eightysixed posted:

I've read all of the recommendations, but why wouldn't 'screen' also work for this?

It would. I prefer byobu as a frontend to screen/tmux.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Look into algo if you want an alternative to pihole that will block ads in iOS (including in-app ads), Android, windows, Linux, and also acts as a VPN.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

electralizer

"I'm going to be doing some electralizering".

Also, the hamemr header is a pretty useful thing. I can solder, but I really dislike doing it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I can solder the headers on a zero in less than 5 minutes.

Still don't like it and would rather use the hammer headers. They work great.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sweating pipes is a useful skill to have, but there is a hammer header equivalent for pipes: sharkbite fittings...and they're way more effective for pipes than hammer headers are for raspberry pis!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

McGiggins posted:

I get it now, it's a controller for "dumb" hardware that more or less isn't "smart" hardware that can't be directly configured at a software level by the pi itself without this intermediary.

Plugging a regular lamp into this would allow me to change its state, and thus what it does, which the normal usb and other connectors of the pi do not allow without a whole bunch of other screwing around, as they can only work at certain settings, thus making them incapable of interacting with non-smart software enabled stuff in the method i desire.

Is this right? I have the autisms, so sometimes hardware stuff is a little hard unless i "get" the right context presentation.

yes

If this helps: Imagine a light switch on a wall. Take away the switch/paddle part. Replace it with a port the raspberry pi hooks up to. The raspberry pi can now turn the switch on and off.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'd like to use a zero as a sensor for various things. There's power but no wifi or internet available at the locations I want to do some sensing.

Obviously, I could get a regular cellular hotspot, but thats pretty expensive for the super low data rates I need. To make a guess I just need to do an HTTP request like once every 5 minutes with a few hundred bytes.

I feel like I've seen ... things ... that maybe use GPRS or something for this type of use case, but I can't really remember any details.

Any ideas?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Those all look like decent options.

Right now I'm thinking a GSM modem with an AT&T IoT SIM is going to be the cheapest...but the most effort. I can ebay usb modems for less than 20 bucks and AT&T IoT plan with SIM and 2MB of data for $2/month.

I think most of the effort will be involved in finding modems that will work with the pi and linux.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah it might be easier to get a cheap little hotspot and swap in the IoT / whatever SIM card. Then you can run a simple wifi network for the Pi or any other nearby devices to talk to and send data. In my experience it's much, much easier to configure linux with wifi vs. GSM modems. With GSM you're dealing with crusty old PPP stuff in Linux. It can work but you're going to be reading 20 year old man pages and readmes from back in the modem dialup days that may or may not be relevant anymore. You're also all set when when one sensor turns into two, three, four, etc.

Oh, that's a good idea.

fishmech posted:

GPRS/plain GSM/EDGE service is in the process of being discontinued by all North American carriers with all the major American cell carriers that used to provide it having turned it off. Because of this, there's a lot of cheap equipment for these 2G technologies being sold which won't actually work but people are trying to unload quick.

Be careful to ensure you're buying 3G UMTS equipment to ensure you get signal and the ability to activate on AT&T et al.

Good point, I forgot about that.

In case anyone is curious about my use case:

I own a few of my own and manage somewhere around 250 rental properties for other people. Because of the large number it's not uncommon for some vacancies to sit for months without a tenant. I'd like to be able to know if the electric goes out or the furnace stops working or if there's a water leak in any of these empty apartments. Thus the idea of a raspberry pi monitor.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 20, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

That's a neat project. Kind of makes me want to make one.

What kind of delay between images are you going to use?

I wonder if you could get or make something that powers the whole thing off for X minutes and have it take the image on boot and then shut down. Maybe the power savings (if any) wouldn't be worth it...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

darksky has a free weather api with high quality data and it has several python wrappers.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Holy hell you work on that insanity? It’s so great.

I agree with this person.

It's the exact right type of insanity.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just don’t expect stuff on a device this barebones to automatically set itself to run on startup.

Thats...not the way computers work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sometimes you need to add stuff to startup, what do you mean that's not how stuff works?

I mean, if a computer is barebones or not has no bearing on whether or not it can reliably do tasks on startup.