Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

feedmegin posted:

Why do you need another computer? It runs Linux, it has HDMI out, it has USB. You can plug it into an HDTV, mouse and keyboard and develop right on the board.

Just to add, Linux on the PS3 only had access to about 192MB of total memory (64 megs of system RAM was reserved by the hypervisor and the video ram was generally unused) and was still capable of self-hosting even if it wasn't totally ideal. Hell, even PS2 Linux was generally usable and it only had 32 megs of RAM and a 300mhz MIPS processor.

The pi developers also included the composite video output so that even people in places where HDTVs aren't the norm can use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

peepsalot posted:

RaspBMC is gonna own so hard :circlefap:

Anyone know if this thing will suppport SDXC cards?

It also supports HDMI-CEC so there shouldn't be any need for an IR dongle.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

There is some GPIO example code in the wiki as well.

http://elinux.org/Rpi_Low-level_peripherals

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

I've used a PS3 controller on Ubuntu with Sixaxis and it's kind of a pain in the rear end. On a Pi it's probably even more annoying if there isn't a precompiled binary. Using it is also annoying as it requires you to run a program in the background that will link up with the controller.

If you just want a nice plug and play controller, I think a PS2 controller and simple USB adapter is probably the way to go (although I've never tried one on the Pi myself).

It's not much help right now unless you want to patch and compile a custom kernel, but full Dualshock 4 support is currently being completed for future kernels. 3.14 adds support for rumble, LEDs and the motion sensors on USB and 3.15 will have full support for everything on USB and Bluetooth.