Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Tiger.Bomb posted:

I put arch on mine, booted it, and haven't touched it since. I am thinking of selling.

They run Arch? Are there any instructions on how to install it? Because running arch is exactly what I want to do with mine.

Edit: Hot drat it does run arch. Do you know if its compiled with all the CPU options the pi supports?

Goon Matchmaker fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Paris Hilton's pocket dogs.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

Between stupid and Paris Hilton, I'm actually not sure where that falls.

Well they're pocket sized chihuahuas...

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

More like more retarded than Paris Hilton.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Finally got my Pi. I installed Arch Linux ARM on it, overclocked it to 800MHz, 350MHz GPU, 500MHz RAM, adjusted the RAM allocation to 224/32, and recompiled the kernel. It's noticeably faster than stock now even though it took about 5 hours to compile the kernel. :v:

I still haven't figured out exactly what I'm going to do with it. I'm kind of thinking portable SSH terminal. It's a neat toy, for sure.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Botanigo posted:

I haven't tried OpenElec, but I can recommend Xbian, the UI is much, much faster than Raspbmc. Not to say it's lag-free, and there are some bugs (about the same as Raspbmc) but getting lots of updates and bugfixes.

I was also very impressed that HDMI-CEC (so you can control the UI using your TV remote) works out of the box. Another few months and I'll be able to recommend this setup (Raspberry Pi + XBian) to friends as an ultra-cheap HTPC setup, I think.

I've been having issues with Xbian playing back certain videos. It likes to barf on nonstandard resolution videos. Corrupted video is the most common side effect. Though, sometimes Xbian just sits and spins on the loading thing and I have to reboot the rpi.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Are the newer pi's with 512mb of ram easier to overclock? My relatively early production B with 256 can't go over 800MHz without crapping out.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

This is impressive. Thanks for posting the build.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

While I have no experience playing 3D on the PI, assuming it can play standard 720p or 1080p correctly then it should have no issue with HSBS. Just select the correct 3d mode on your TV and voila, 3D. Now if you try playing FSBS, may FSM have mercy on your video card's sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

You could adjust the niceness of the process with nice -n -20. Anything below 0 increases the priority where higher numbers decreases it. So a process with a nice value of -20 will be given higher priority than a process with a nice value of 19. There may also be a way to tell the scheduler that you want that to be run as a realtime task but I'm not 100% sure of how to do that.

Note that messing with the niceness may have other adverse effects. Like SSH taking forever to connect.