Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I'm still waiting on mine, so I haven't been able to test one of my ideas yet. Can anyone comment on how viable it would be to use the RPi as a thin-client with voice comms? I was looking to run an RDP app and connect them to a 2008 R2 terminal server, along with a USB headset.
I work in a factory and this would really help with the need to maintain our old phone system, and avoid the need to run wires for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
If you're in the UK, don't try to order your Pi from RS Components. I placed an order for three in July and the order confirmation at the time said they would arrive by mid-september. They still haven't arrived, and after phoning up all they'd tell me is the current lead time (end of November). They had no idea when the ones for my July order would come in.

Really wishing I used Element14 now. It's frustrating to see people who ordered way after me and have theirs already.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

xtothez posted:

If you're in the UK, don't try to order your Pi from RS Components. I placed an order for three in July and the order confirmation at the time said they would arrive by mid-september. They still haven't arrived, and after phoning up all they'd tell me is the current lead time (end of November). They had no idea when the ones for my July order would come in.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Just do what i did and cancel your RS order and get one from Newark. They shipped mine same day and I had it by mid week.

So yeah...

Ordered 3 RaspPis from RS in mid-July, recieved all the accessories but still no sign of a Pi as of today. That's over 12 weeks so far.
Ordered 2 from Farnell on Oct 3rd, just now receieved an email saying they have shipped and should arrive Monday. That's 9 days.

gently caress RS forever.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Trip report: Today my 512mb(!) Raspberries arrived ... only 12 days after placing an order with Farnell. The RS ones ordered 3 months ago still ain't here.

Pi #1:
Configured as a cheap thin client for work. Installed rdesktop, x11vnc server for remote support, and setup a bash script on boot that launches and automatically configures an RDP connection based on a config file on an intranet server. Works great. I've made an image of the card so it should be easy to roll these out around the factory very quickly.
Even had time to play around with a PoE splitter for power. Tomorrow I should get a few monitors with a built-in USB hub, and will see how well they work.

Pi #2:
Installed Xbian first to use as a HTPC. Didn't manage to add any video sources, as it would always freeze when I tried to do that. No idea why.
Then I reflashed the card with Raspbmc instead, which is working kinda OK. Had a few random hangs when just moving through the UI which required restarting XBMC (the Pi itself didn't crash). Also getting a few seconds of a black screen every 5-10mins at random when playing video, but that's not a big deal. Going to mess around and fix that tomorrow, assuming it finishes loading my library overnight...

It's worth pointing out that they've released new firmware you'll need to use in order to take advantage of the new 512mb RAM. Just replace your startup.elf with the appropriate one of these:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/boot
I can't say how performance compares to the old revision though, as I've not used a 256mb Pi.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Mister Fister posted:

My Raspberry PI is scheduled to be delivered Friday. When i ordered it, Newark estimated 1st week of november as my delivery date. Newark is definitely fantastic in terms of underpromising and overperforming.

You're telling me. After recieving my first two, I ordered 5 more on Tuesday morning. Guess what happened this evening...

quote:

Your Farnell Order Has Been Shipped.

Products shipped in this consignment:
Part Num. Qty Ordered Qty Shipped Qty to Follow Product description Mnfr Part #
2191863 5 5 0 RASPBRRY-MODB-512M SBC, RASPBERRY PI, MODEL B, 512MB

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Puddin posted:

I got my pi yesterday, a 512mb one at that but I'm having problems with every single build of XBMC.

I've tried Raspbmc, xbian 0.8 and 0.8.2, and openelec, on different brand 4gb sd cards, formatting them each time before putting a new version on them and I'm having the same problem across all of them.

Whether I'm using my MS wireless mouse, a medion wireless mouse and keyboard combo, or my Razer wired mouse, as soon as XBMC boots to the main screen, about 5 seconds later, the inputs stop working.

I can't select anything when this happens and have to re-boot.

The system hasn't crashed however, as the time still increments and in the case of the openelec build the news ticker continues to scroll across the screen.

It's doing my head in as I can see that it's working but i can't select anything.

This is very likely to be a power issue. What else do you have plugged in, and how are you powering the Pi?

There are alot of micro-USB power adaptors out there which don't supply what the model B needs at full pelt (CPU, GPU, ethernet, and USB devices). You can check this very easily if you have a multimeter. It might also be worth just plugging in the bare minimum to get the screen up (so no network and the most basic keyboard you can find) and see if the issue repeats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

DoktorLoken posted:

How are these things as media centers running XBMC? Can they play 1080P content reliably? Thinking of replacing my WDTV Live with one.
So long as it's not decoding audio on the Pi itself you'll be fine. I had issues at first running it on a PC monitor and using the separate audio jack, as most 1080p material was unwatchable under any of Xbian/Raspbmc/Openelec. However a TV connected via HDMI works perfectly. I have mine running Xbian and the only noticable difference between it and my proper Windows HTPC is that thumbnails load a bit slower.