Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I have a raspberry pi 4 controlling a 3d printer with fluiddpi/klipper. This includes a webcam and active cooling (heatsinks and a 30mm fan or whatever), which were necessary when I added the webcam. It runs LXDE for the sole purpose of allowing me to control it locally via the webui in firefox. This was slow, but functional and good enough for like a year but has become unusable, very slow to update, with very slow input and commands often never going through until I run to the other room to do it from my PC. This began out of the blue after sitting idle a few months, and updating everything made no difference. Evertything is snappy when I use the webui from another PC on the network. Any suggestions for improving performance?

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Is the SD card hosed?

How do I evaluate this? It was a new samsung SD card iirc

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Klyith posted:

Nothing about that sounds like a definite match for SD card being hosed. It's not like the SD is being used for swap or anything. (Or hopefully it isn't.)

Is everything in the desktop environment slow and lovely, just firefox, or specifically just firefox viewing the printer webui page?

cruft posted:

I'm frankly surprised you got any performance at all from a GUI running off an SD card. I tried this once for, like, a week.

The SD card is slow, and every operation's performance is going to be magnified. Is your filesystem close to filling up? That could impact I/O. Have you been doing any Internet activity with your browser / did you forget to install security patches? Maybe you have malware.
The desktop environment is as minimal as possible, it opens firefox on boot and has never been used for anything else. It never performed well, but it was usable enough to monitor progress, turn on/off the extruder for filament changes, or home/raise the extruder. Now an emergency stop will go through after a delay and the UI will never update to let me raise the extruder afterwards, etc. It went a few months without patches but was unused and not connectable from the outside for the duration, and updating everything was one of the first fixes I tried, so probably not malware I think. Also, there is lots of space available

TVs Ian posted:

If you’re not uploading gcode files via Firefox on the pi, try using KlipperScreen instead for local control.

I have that on a 5-inch touchscreen connected to a Pi 4, and it can do everything else. I believe it works with a mouse too, if that’s how you’re set up.

thanks I will try this at some point

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 7, 2023

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Instead of trying to diagnose my poo poo I just set up a fresh install of mainsail on USB and everything seems to be working nominally again :toot:

see you all again in a year if it breaks again

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

cruft posted:

LOL, you win, tuyop.

... for now

honestly i probably spent more time and effort thinking and postng about fixing it than I did flashing the thumbdrive, installing 3 things and dropping printer.cfg into the webui