Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I had one that was collecting dust and made a PiHole, I feel like a genius getting it all to work and letting it do DHCP on my network. I may do PiVPN but I don't really need the ad-blocking stuff for my phone.

I am going to get another one and attempt a magic mirror project, or at least a monitor as a neat little screen for the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So I'd like to have a TV display a stream of a city live cam. I've got the hardware part figured out but I'm not sure how I could implement the software part of it. Is there some way I could automate having to refresh a page if it goes down, crashes, or the stream times out? Currently we're just mirroring a PC and manually refreshing the streams after they go down after a few hours. It could be the building's internet making GBS threads out but either way I'd like to just get it automated to some degree.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Supposedly there is an 8gb variant of the Pi4.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Some Goon posted:

I've got a 2B I'm using as a "NAS" for my pair of external drives, and a 3A I bought to be a glorified typewriter currently hooked up to a motor control board for a motor I killed.

The plan for the 400 is really just to condense down my linux box into one keyboard sized volume since my desk is tiny and entirely consumed by my wfh setup. There are a couple other things Im thinking of doing with it, but nothing I'm sure wouldn't be bettered served by my laptop or steam link. We'll see how long my attempt to use it without a mouse lasts...

Are you using the drives via USB? I want a NAS but was worried that USB2 would be too big of a bottleneck to make it worthwhile.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
He's a random thought I had. I don't want to janitor a PiHole on my entire network, but would there be a way to let it only deal with a certain subnet on my network? I've got 4 different people here with various devices around the house and my past experience was spent unblocking a lot of poo poo again and again.