Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Exergy posted:

Are there any sites where raspberry is both in stock and is close to promised $35? They expect 7200 units on Feb 6 in Newark/element14, but I don't know how quickly it will be gone, as it seems that interest is still high. Basically I am trying to understand if I should wait almost a month for a 10min buying window or just pay more.

Just bought from MCMElectronics in the US 10 minutes ago. Paid $35 plus $10 shipping. They're a Farnell company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Question Mark Mound posted:

[...]Do only certain PC games work, is there a specific XBMC for the RPi that works better for this than others, etc? [...]

You know its an ARM-based system, usually running Linux, so you won't be running x86 Windows games, right?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Exergy posted:

I am going to buy Anker mini bluetooth keyboard. But I don't know how practical is it and should I expect any issues with bluetooth connection?

My goal is to play with rpi first and try few different OSes and then use it with xbmc.

I've got one. It works ok, typing is a little frustrating due to the size, took some fiddling with the mouse acceleration to make the trackpad not feel weird. Range is, at most 10 feet, and I had to run the BT adapter to front of my TV with a USB extension to even get that. Using a better BT adapter might help.

Oh, and the laser pointer burned out after three days of taunting the dog.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I keep cooking up new little ideas and realizing I don't have all the components on hand. Then by the time I get to a parts supplier site, I'm too worried about forgetting something or changing my plan, that its hard to submit an order since shipping costs are so high relative to actual parts price.

I need like, "Mouser Prime" or someone needs to sell a serious assortment of connectors and components like a Lego set.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Would this increase read/write speed compared to plugging hard drives directly into my Airport Extreme's USB port.

Probably not. Every test I've seen has put the RPi at 5-7MB/sec sharing EXT2/3 drives. Half that speed with NTFS. Share speed is really CPU-bound, and the Airport has more grunt. My high-end-consumer 600mhz router gets the same speed, and maxes the CPU doing it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

MohawkSatan posted:

Anyone know of a good IRC client for Raspian Wheezy? And ow the hell to install it? the only Linux distro I've ever used before this is Ubuntu.

Edit: Just got my nerd on and learned how to use apt commands to find and get xchat. This is fun.

Install "screen" and "irssi." SSH into the Pi, run irssi in screen, and enjoy the most convenient and power-saving way to idle on IRC.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Earlier on this very same page, Johnny 290 said he SSHed into a fresh Raspbian install to do the initial setup.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

underlig posted:

If it didn't lead current, why not do something as similarly "simple", two copper wires, one attached to something that floats (styrofoam?), floats up towards the second wire. Or do you need it to detect a low level of liquid?

Like a food-grade toilet mechanism.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Guy Axlerod posted:

Or use the upside down bottle, but put the float sensor in the bottle.

Floating conductive ball in the bottle. Two contacts in the neck of the bottle that are bridged when the ball is at the bottom.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Train the dog to fill his own drat water.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

got dat wmd posted:

I just wish there was a way to be able to headless tell it a wifi username/password sometimes, but I guess that's impossible.

You could maybe have it parse a text file on a USB stick which you edit on another computer, but that'd be annoying.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
So no one completely dismisses the RPi audio-out as crap and buys a USB dongle before even trying it: I have had no problem with the quality while using it as a throw-around AirTunes location in the garage. It pops a litte when first initialized, but then the music is fine, though probably not "audiophile."

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Are there any goon approved Wireless dongles for the Raspberry Pi? Mainly for XBMC / Raspbmc. Cheap/compact is preferred.

The Edimax for $11 on Amazon works well without powering or driver issues. It's the first result for "Raspberry pi edimax."

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I have a RPi plugged into an audio interface to record two discrete channels of audio into a single file. Basically, I have a cron job at the top of every hour to run a script that does this:

code:
timeout 1h /usr/bin/rec  -c 2 -p | sox -p -r 11025 -C 64 /home/pi/recordings/$NAME.mp3 silence -l 1 00:00:00.5 -45d -1 00:00:30.0 -45d
Which runs a recording for an hour, piped into Sox, which trims any silence from the head, and any silence more than 30 seconds from the middle, and encodes the result to a timestamped MP3.

This works, but Sox shows 75%-plus cpu usage in Top. Even to get usage that low, I've quartered the sample rate from the interface's native 44.1 to 11.025, and knocked the MP3s to a CBR 64k. I also found a script to disable unneeded services in Raspbian, and added that to run on boot. Anything more than a modest overclock (the highest one in raspi-config that doesn't overvolt) locks up my RPi.

The problem is that logging in via SSH, or trying to pull the resultant audio files off via FTP is enough to peg the CPU and make Sox overrun, then drop audio. Any more optimizations I can do?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I don't know anything about nice, but most of the writeups I found were for lowering the priority of cron jobs, and when i tried to "sudo nice" to a negative number, my jobs didn't run.

I just noticed that the actual warning is "/usr/bin/rec WARN alsa: over-run" so the error is coming from the audio input part of the command. I tried to up the buffer in Sox to 64k, but still getting over-runs.

Any chance that the bottleneck is actually SD card?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

evol262 posted:

Essentially no. Sox converts to WAV internally, and the CPU on the pi just isn't up to realtime encoding. You can check you iowait in top to see if it's an sdcard issue, but you'd be better served with an odroid or something else with more oomph (beaglebone, whatever)

I ran "apt-get update" for the first time in half a year, and something in that got Sox under 50% cpu. Unfortunately I'm still getting those overruns. Googling tells me that the error is the result of the piped output command not taking data from arecord fast enough. Adding more buffer to Sox after the pipe didn't seem to help. Maybe if I add buffer to arecord *before* the pipe it will. I'm stubbornly trying to get the RPi to work rather than buying something more powerful because I'm tired of having two sitting on the shelf.

Unfortunately, it's plugged in at work and I can only play with it when I'm on the network there.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If you're using Raspbian, you can use whatever tool you originally made your SD card from an img file with to make a copy of your card, then write that new image to a new card.

Then boot the new card and run "sudo raspi-config" and expand to fill the card in that tool.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 25, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I've got a pi recording from a USB audio interface with Rec piped into Sox to trim out silence, then save the results as an mp3 in real-time. At the top of each hour, Cron stops that process, then restarts recording in a new timestamped file.

I've finally got the mp3 quality to a point that its acceptable for my purposes without overtaxing the Pi and getting underruns. Everything was working greatfor a few weeks, but now I'm finding that Rec just stops working, sometimes just 10 minutes into an hour and sits there without any movement. (Rec is running in Screen so I can log in and set levels or check for buffer problems.)

When the cron job comes around, it kills the previous hour's process and starts another, but the new instance of Rec doesn't do anything. It just sits there showing zero seconds recorded. Rebooting fixes it, for a while a least.

I'm using a 2 amp charger, Sandisk SD card, and the pi is in a cool spot, cased with fair ventilation. No overclock. Any ideas?

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 11, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Do you still have to have a sparse image on the drive for backups to go into these days? Maybe that's not big enough, or not available at all? I haven't kept up because every time i got a time machine hack to work, Apple broke it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Does the device show when you type "aplay --list-devices" or in alsamixer?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You probably commented it out in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf or have something amiss in /etc/asound.rc

I got mine to work with no asound.rc at all, so you can just rename that to like asound.rc.old and reboot to see if it's the problem. All I had to do to get a generic USB sound card to work as an input was comment and uncommonly some lines in the default alsa-base.conf

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I never had any luck getting alsa to force my interface to anything but its native sample rate, then I resample down in my recording app just to lower the amount of data to be processed so the RPi doesn't choke.

I don't know anything about the software you're using, but 48k is high, above CD quality even. Telephony is traditionally 8k, so I'd be surprised if the software needed more than that to get intelligible speech.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Sorry I mashed the "garage" button for ten minutes.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
haneWIN NFS server for windows works for my non-pi needs, and for some reason, the trial period has never expired.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What about a 1-wire sensor? They're really easy to interface and 257F is plenty to get a safe temp for poultry.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/245

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

keyvin posted:

Just be sure that it will accommodate the SD card.

Not a power backpack, something like an Anker you can rubber band the Pi to.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I used double-sided foam tape for mounting. Velcro is another option.

...but there are two mounting holes and a ton of cheap cases with their own mounting holes.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 10, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Before anyone else goes as insane as I did raspian seems to default to a UK keyboard layout.
Aside from that is there much of a performance hit using wifi for streaming or file transfer?

I'm thinking about buying one of those $3 tiny wifi usb sticks you can find on ebay.

The keyboard setting should be part of the initial setup tool. If you search "raspberry wifi" on amazon it returns a few modules with positive RPi-related reviews if you're concerned about support.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Most USB sound cards and USB mics seem to work. There are lots of tutorials.

For the actual software, I suggest the SoX package. In addition to all of its format conversion stuff, it can also be triggered to record when a volume threshold is crossed, then stop again after a period of silence. Google "sox vox recording" for a few examples.

I have a Pi doing a similar thing, recording all non-silence from a USB audio device, then uploading the results to an FTP over night.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
One of my Pis has been running nonstop for over a year, writing then erasing 500gb of audio a day. HTC phone power supply, $10 Sandisk bulk-packaged SD card. Maybe I'm lucky.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

eightysixed posted:

I'm curious. For what purpose?

I work on a daily live production. I record our program along with tech cues. The record script removes any long silences, then saves the remainder to hourly timestamped files and uploads to a remote server. I tried compressing the audio to mp3 in real time, but sample rates higher than 8khz choked the pi.

8gb card.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

keyvin posted:

Sold out everywhere. Looks like I am going to have to wait for the 30th.

Microcenter has them sitting on the shelf here if that's an option.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

keyvin posted:

I don't know if its poo poo or not. The site that was first linked gave a strong whiff of poo poo but as it turned out wasn't the official page. If adafruit or sparkfun pick it up, it might get substantially cheaper. Shipping on alibaba was $42 and the board itself was $45. I already own a Pi and a BBB so I am unlikely to get one anyways.

The BBB is feels more capable than the Pi and the polish they put into configuring their Angstrom distrobution makes Raspbian look dull. Does anyone know if the ethernet over USB is done in hardware or if it is all software? I hacked together a circuit to tell when a 24v line goes hot. Just put a few turns of wire around the 24v line and used one of the adcs. The end goal is to send a text when my deaf friend's doorbell rings. She has a strobe now, but if she isn't in her living room she can't see it. The real hurdle is figuring out how to power the BBB next to the doorbell since there isn't an outlet nearby.

What about one of these things as a power supply

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00828VFT2/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Kpsxtb0WXMHH9

I honestly don't know if the solar is enough to power the board while also storing an overnight charge in the battery. If not, you could get a big 15000mAh one and "sneakernet" the power every few days.

That project sounds better suited to an arduino, though, especially if you want to get power draw down.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The point has always always been that you hopefully already have a lot of the kit.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is there really any point to futzing with a Pi as an HTPC now that so many small, polished streaming devices exist?

Even if you really want emulators, can't you side load those on a FireTV?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

1500quidporsche posted:

Want to use a raspberry pi as a rally computer. basically would use sensors at the wheels(very similar to those bike speedometers), take an average of all four wheels and you come up with a distance versus the rally distance. From there forward the pi would take the distance at the wheel and adjust it to the rally distance.

Real rally computers start off at $500 for the most basic model and really all they do is make sure you're running the same distances as the same ones in the rally instructions. I drive a 30 year old hachback and don't feel like sinking that kind of money into it.

would this be feasible for the raspberry to handle? I don't know the first thing about programming and would basically be learning how to do it from scratch.

The way I see it you have four wheel sensors that'll pick up every time the magnet passes by the sensor(x1,2,3,4) and a distance used for odometer correction (y-user inputted through some keypad). the pi would take y and divide it by the sum of x1,2,3,4 to come out with a distance per wheel pass (z). From then on it would just run as an odometer and read out the average of x1,2,3,4 * z on an old school LED display.

Is this something I'd be able to tackle with no experience in programming and just reading up on it myself? I'd have no problem wiring everything up and hooking it into the car's power supply.

This sounds better suited to an Arduino-type device.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You can also setup a Pi as an Airtunes receiver, but that's more convenient if there are OSX or iOS devices involved.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

thegasman2000 posted:

Sorry no the relays can handle 25A each. I have a paid of 100w heaters I think.

One thing I am wondering is if I could wire the gpio pins to a hdmi connecter and then use a standard cable say 2M to another connector. Would make it look tidier than a 2M ribbon. Hdmi has 19 pins so that's fine but could they take the 3.3V that's needed?

DIN, or D-Sub would probably be better choices. (Think serial, LPT or old fat round keyboard connectors)

Cheap, robust connectors, designed for serial data and similar voltages, easier for a regular human to solder reliably.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

YouTuber posted:

Anyone know of a means of controlling Google Music via a web player? Most I've seen appear to just use your library. I want to attach my Raspberry Pi to my stereo and just use that to listen to music and control it via my phone.

http://www.woutervanwijk.nl/pimusicbox/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Crack posted:

Can't you run X or lightdm or whatever is needed to have a GUI through SSH anyway? Is there any downside to this vs a VNC?

You can tunnel X through ssh, but VNC is a much more self-contained system on the client end. With VNC you won't have to install X on every device you connect from.