Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Gallatin posted:

Would a vm be best as a spare? I wouldn't have to have a $40 pi laying around just in case.

Docker maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Watch some Youtube reviews of how the Pi performs with streaming video. It's not great.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

xzzy posted:

That's how capitalism works. You continually expand your product line to compete with other companies to try and get a bigger slice of all the money in the industry.

I think it's stupid too, only microcontroller I'll buy is a teensy, but that's just me. I assume Pi knows how well they'll sell.

xzzy posted:

On further reflection, maybe they're selling this stuff because chips to build rpi's are nonexistant right now. I've been wanting a second rpi4 for like six months now and they've been out of stock the whole time.

The tracker that's out there does show they're getting distributed but it's probably all scalpers at this point running bots to instantly buy them. I sure have had no luck scoring one.

The Pi Foundation is a registered charity and it was created to promote a computer science program at a university in the UK.

Their motivations are centered around education, not capitalism, which is why they push the price fixing angle so hard: "Pi Zero is a $5 computer!" The price fixing and subsequent shortages has been an issue long before any of the recent chip shortages. There's always been a big flood at the release of a new version, followed by empty shelves for months. I suspect most of them go to "scalpers" aka actual capitalists who will repackage it with high-margin items like wall warts, SD cards, and cable adapters to make a profit, since the Pi Foundation refuses to (or maybe can't because of their charity status).

And it also doesn't make sense that they'd be trying to corner any part of the market with the Pico... rather that they'd want to create a device that's consistent across school curricula instead of leaving teachers to use some aliexpress chinesium ESP32 boards that may or may not even have firmware flashed on it yet.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 4, 2022