Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The HDMI CEC compatibility with Raspbmc means I only use the TV remote for working through menus, play pause etc. Most of the time I'm picking a film from the iOS XBMC app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Presumably it's intended to be a prototyping board and the actual interface part should be on whatever product you are building. The low(er) quantities being produced are reflected in the price.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Another option is Screenly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's a TV and not a professional display then it will have a "turn off after this many hours of the remote not being touched" setting. Turn that off.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://www.ubnt.com/mfi/mpower/

Not sure if you can talk to that over a Pi or whatever.

If you want to do stuff with relays then these will happily switch mains - http://cpc.farnell.com/finder/22-23-9-012-4000/relay-modular-1no-1nc-12vdc/dp/SW03919 but they need to be driven with 12v which you won't get from a Pi's GPIOs so you're adding complication. Also it's loving with 240v AC so usual caveats apply. I think you might be best off getting a managed PDU and getting your Pi / Arduino / whatever to talk SNMP to it.

Something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251779287043

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 6, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

YouTuber posted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/raspberry-pi-2-camera-flash-glitch-turns-off-2015-2

This is an interesting flaw. If you take a picture using an Xenon flash it will cause the Pi2 to glitch out.

gently caress Business Insider's clickbait headlines.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

OSMC is decent as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Something like this?

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11005

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What's underneath the keyboard plate? Seems like a large amount of space if there's just a Pi in there.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's a much better sense of scale than I was getting off the other pictures, I assumed it was a lot bigger than that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a horrible piece of wishful thinking that grew legs and was running around all the news sites when the Pi 2 was released. One of our product manager guys proclaimed that it means we would be able to deploy Raspberry Pi's to remote sites and run Windows apps on them, completely missing the point about it being a different architecture.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The advice I've always seen is to try using NFS instead of SMB for that sort of thing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What an absolutely boneheaded move considering the makeup of the whole hacker/maker community. The state of Liz Upton's completely disingenuous responses as well, jfc.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you need loads of IO there's always the option to use an Arduino for that and then do all the processing on another device.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hand it to the PM to let them launch a new feature

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's a great looking device, proper CPU and two NICs that don't involve a USB bus for cheap. Bit of a strange choice to use a DC jack rather than Type-C PD though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Shame they’re Realtek NICs though

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

cruft posted:

This got me thinking, I know USB PD can deliver 12v...

Yep, there's a cable. Same amperage, too.

USB PD trigger cables are insanely useful when combined with a power bank that supports PD.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They exist, you can get plugs like this. Pretty expensive for what they are.

https://amzn.eu/d/hOof0qv

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is the SD card hosed?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://thepihut.com/products/raspikey-plug-and-play-emmc-module-for-raspberry-pi

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not going near unbranded switch mode power supplies with about 1mm of separation between mains voltage and a pin on the end of a USB cable

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Unless you need the Pi ecosystem and GPIO and can't plug an Arduino in, get an Atom NUC off eBay.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CIFS is not NFS

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If the next Pi throws a couple of the USB ports away in exchange for an additional GigE port (or hey, push the boat out and go 2.5Gb) that isn't sat on the USB bus then I'll buy about a hundred of them. Come on Pi people, do something good.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's almost at the point where the range could split between boards that have video output and boards that don't. No point putting the hardware on to drive an HDMI port when loads of Pis never go near a display.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks to the people mentioning NextDNS, giving that a spin now and it's very capable

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would not use a Wi-Fi client as the DNS server for my network, fwiw

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't shut it down

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Low power and x86 chat made me remember that the Intel Compute Stick was a thing that existed for a while. I doubt anyone has ever had a slower experience using a PC. Half the CPU power of a Pi 4 trying to run Windows 8 off eMMC.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 31, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Some of my stuff is VHB taped to it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Didn't Intel do ARM a while back with their XScale stuff?

E:f,b

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Azure IoT Hub has a free tier but for what you want and the hardware you're using the Adafruit service looks tailor made for you

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Looking at the photos a lot of them seem to be really poo poo mirrors because they're way too dark

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That’s a $60-70 part then

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not a jumper, it's the cheapest way of indicating what RAM is on the board, no need to modify the silkscreen.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm going to sell a service clearly advertised as moving the surface mount resistor from wherever it is currently located to the 8GB position, making no references to the system memory.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Raygereio posted:

It's a 0Ω SMD resistor that's used here as a jumper right? Or am I mixing up my terminology?

Edit:

Oh, I completely misunderstood what it was then. There is a trace going from one end of the "memory" SMD solder connections to the chip, so I thought it would have a function.

It looks like it's pulling something down to ground through it, but every position it could go in is the same. So it probably serves a purpose but the location doesn't change anything.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's an extension kit that converts the data stream and back again: https://magpi.raspberrypi.com/articles/review-thine-cable-extension-kit

Once you're at that sort of money though you're into cheap IP CCTV camera territory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's definitely a swing and a miss to use a USB-C connector, a chip that supports PD, and then to require a custom PSU because you aren't using any standard PD profiles.