Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
What OS are y'all using if you're not using this for XBMC. I'm looking for a general purpose OS, is Rasbian the goto?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

Raspberry High

Now I know exactly what I would have been doing with one of these 4 years ago.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

ozmunkeh posted:

That was my first thought then I went looking through the official forums and it seems full of people discussing which usb keyboards actually work with it and what are the best cables to purchase so I'm leaning towards "bad product".

It really depends on what the power situation is, what are you using to get the thing powered? To continue, the usb connections on the Pi can only support 100ma or less of current which is why people suggest using *powered* usb hubs if you want to use devices that require more power. The back of any device should have a power rating, if I look at the stuff I've used I can see my mouse requires 5v/100ma (perfect).

Cell phone chargers tend to suck if they are off-brand or below spec, they need to supply at least 5v/700ma of power. If you aren't supplying at least that (and it's clean, I've seen a few different "5v" adapters that waver between 4-8v).

Honestly though, it really could just be a bad board unless you've been ignoring the above concepts.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Could also get a usb battery charger that just sits inline with the power, like power the charger from the wall, power the rPi from the charger. Theoretically it would never need to shut down.