Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I have a Pi 3B in a physical container that makes access to the SD card a pain for regular access. What's the best way to back up the whole device (files + configuration) over the wire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

Entire device backup is a real pain without physical access to the SD card. It's goddamn near impossible.

Do you want to backup the entire device, or just your configs and certain folders of files?

Coming from the Windows/Mac world, I'm used to thinking in terms of system images. If configs + certain folders means my services (running via PM2) are easy to recover, then I'll take it.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

krissgjeng posted:

I haven't had problems backing up to a disk image.
While not ideal to back up a running system. as long as you are not having anything major writing to your memory card, such as updates or other file transfers you should be fine. at worst some log files may be corrupted.

An example command i use is: sudo pv /dev/mmcblk0 | lzop -o /mnt/remote_share/pibak.img.lzo
i use pv to get a progress bar and lzop to compress the image.
otherwise you could just use: sudo cat /dev/mmcblk0 > /mnt/remote_share/pibak.img

I have restored backups with images made using this method without problems in the past.

Trying this tactic, thanks. Now to get past the permission denied error I'm getting on the destination share. It's always something....

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

mewse posted:

Lots of pi applications end up with it outside in a weatherproof box, it's not unheard of. There's linux software called backup ninja that can harvest whatever paths you specify and mysql databases etc and store incremental backups remotely using rdiff-backup, it's a beast to set up though so it depends how robust you want your backups to be. Using dd on-device to image the mounted sd card seems easiest if it works.

Yeah it's in a custom case for an embedded tool. I'll read up on the tools you mentioned, thanks.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Something like this? You can use it via cables, it doesn't have to be mounted, though it can.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VNX4ZWY/r

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

TheManWithNoName posted:

Is this the place to ask Pi-hole questions? Admittedly I have no experience with pis or SBCs in general, but I got it set up on a pi zero w. I added a bunch of blacklists but stuff is still coming through that my browser adblock usually gets. Am I doing something wrong? I've tried adding specific urls to the blacklist as well and it doesn't block them.

It can’t block DNS over HTTP, which is how lots of ads get delivered these days.

https://www.nigelayen.com/technology/dns-over-https-and-pihole-on-raspberry-pi/