Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
This disaster of a launch if really probably in my best interest, give it a month or two and it will have some fully developed software and case options that it doesn't now. Still, very frustrating since I did get up very early.

Lots of people buying this with no idea what it is, too: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/raspberry-pi-22-computer-starts-29th-6am-1155542?page=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Given that it draws power itself over micro USB I doubt there is very much power available over its USB port.
You could always user a powered USB hub, or some kind of booster using one of those 2x USB cables you get with hard disks.

Indeed, you can use a powered usb hub to power the RPi too, since its micro-USB power port is power only (the data connections are removed).

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004

DNova posted:

They're not really comparable except for a fairly narrow overlap of use scenarios.

And theoretical overlap at that, between jailbreaking issues and the fact that RaspBMC hasn't been released yet.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
For those wanting a RasPi HTPC, the XBMC port is in release candidate stages now: http://www.raspbmc.com/ Now if only I could order one of these gadgets some day.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004

greenman100 posted:

Just grabbed and installed the RC2. What I've done so far:

Had to burn the image probably 10 times before it finally worked. Best SD card was a PNY SDHC Class 4 4GB. When it was downloading the root filesystem, it would complete way faster than it expected. Finally, it threw an error while downloading it, but finished the download completely. Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

Rebooted, it downloaded XBMC, recognized my wireless KB/Mouse.

Set up AirPlay, weather, etc. Worked great. One thing - AirPlay audio only does not work. If you play video and audio together, they come through okay. It has no problem AirPlaying at 720p - maintains 24fps or better, as measured by the UI.

I'd never used XBMC before, it is really slick. There's a 1 or 2 second lag in the UI some times, but really not a big deal. Played everything I threw at it. Seems to have no problem being a webserver, either.

XBMC in on a machine that can handle it is a real joy. It sounds pretty promising for the RPi too, though - once we get to a stable release, I'd be especially anxious to hear results so we can know how well it really functions as a XBMC frontend.