Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

This RaspBMC stuff sounds very promising, and I got an email today about probably being able to order by the end of this week.

That said, I thought of another possible application for this thing. Will it run a webcam? Enough to record an hour or two of travel if I were to put it in my car? Can you power if off the cigarette lighter? I've been thinking about building a forward and backward recording system for when some rear end in a top hat inevitably runs into me, and RaspPi seems like it would be ideal for that sort of thing.

VVVV I'm on the list. Don't think the public orders are happening yet. Good to know the other stuff.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Powdered Toast Man posted:

So is the consensus now that if you didn't get an order in before the end of April, you're basically hosed for the foreseeable future? What the hell is wrong with these people? There are people waiting to buy it!

I got this on friday:

quote:

Dear customer,

Your Raspberry Pi Id number is <number>

Your date of registration was 31/03

Go to our Raspberry Pi information site to see when you will be invited to place your order for a Raspberry Pi.

<<<<body of email with FAQ links and stuff>>>>

The link about when you can order etc was this: http://australia.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=raspberrypi&file=questions#Queue which shows that I should be allowed to order by tomorrow (or Friday depending on what time they're running on). Then 11 weeks until it ships.

So not "hosed for the foreseeable future", but it'll be a while yet. I can wait. I've thought of 4 different things to try, and I'm thinking of more daily.

Could you use this thing to run a NAS?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

If I've been invited to order, how long do I have to actually order? I just paid my car registration and I'm out of disposable income until Friday next week. I got he email last Friday. Will I still be able to do it?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Mr. Wedenhart posted:

I ordered months after I got the invite so you'll be fine.

Good to know, thanks!

I should be able to order this friday, so I guess I'm set :)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ok, I'm evidently an idiot. If I finally buy one of these things, what do I need to also buy? I have ethernet and HDMI cables, a USB keyboard, and a couple of spare USB cables of various types.

As far as I can tell, I need the raspberry pi itself, and a (class 4?) SD card of some sort. Is that right? What do I use as a power supply if I don't want to buy element 14's $20 adapter? Will a samsung galaxy phone charger with the appropriate usb cable do it? Yeah, it'll work, 5v at 1a is within specs.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 10, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

OK, ordered. Element14 says next day delivery in Australia, but I doubt it.

Xbian is the media center install of choice? Anything I need to know about it?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Grim posted:

If you're in Sydney then I have good news for you - I ordered mine on Monday and it arrived yesterday, I haven't even had any time to play around with it yet because I thought it would take longer to get here so I haven't got anything prepared

Melbourne. I'm guessing it will show up tomorrow then. I just realised I don't have a HDMI cable anyway, only a mini displayport > HDMI one, so I'll probably be in the same boat as you.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Oh, motherfucker, I just got Xbian doing exactly what I wanted.

Is OpenElec any good?

Edit: I take it I would need the generic install? How difficult is it to get it all running properly?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 21, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

syphon posted:

I got RaspBMC working and tried out the remote app (for iOS). It kinda works, but it's really really laggy and generally problematic. I just attribute it to to the relatively weak CPU in the Pi.

The Android app works fine for me. I don't know if that's a problem with the iOS app or with something else about your setup.

When I switched over to a wifi usb dongle instead of the wired network, commands got a bit more laggy. Try wiring it and seeing if that makes a difference?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I was never able to actually order through RS Components. I registered interest several times since that opened up, but never once got an email about "yeah you can order now".

Element14 shipped the day after I ordered, pi arrived next day. For free. It's been running for about 2 months now. Then yesterday I got a call from Element14 to ask me if everything was fine with my most recent order, was I a hobbyist or a business, and to make sure I knew to take advantage of their price-matching system and tech support people if I needed to.

So yeah. Order from Element14.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

DoktorLoken posted:

How are these things as media centers running XBMC? Can they play 1080P content reliably? Thinking of replacing my WDTV Live with one.

My setup has the pi stream movies off an ubuntu server that's hidden in a cupboard. The server is wired into the network.

Streaming 1080p movies was fine when the pi was wired, but now that it's wireless it sometimes (like, once a week) gets stuck "buffering" when I start to play a movie. A reset fixes that. It's never decided to buffer once the movie actually starts playing.

I also can't speak for 5.1 DTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Vain posted:

I'm thinking of picking one of these up. Does anyone know if a Kindle AC power adapter will be able to power this? The adapter's output is 5.0v and 0.85A

Kindle power adapters and Samsung Galaxy S2/S3/Nexus chargers have all successfully powered my Pi.