Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there an Arduino thread? I saw that animatronic lamp video and started looking around but the Pi thread is the closest I've found so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

chippy posted:

There's also the embedded programming microthread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500975

Although folks in there can be a little contemptuous of Arduinos sometimes.

Also if you're wanting to learn circuits and things as opposed to programming there's the Learning Electronics Megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977 - there's some Arduino chat in there too.

Mainly I am looking for a PC/Android -> servo interface, with the ability to hang a couple of sensors off of. I suspect the Raspberry Pi can do this, but waiting six months for a board (and the relatively young community around it) is making me look elsewhere. Arduino seems like a decent choice.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I just want to control four or five servos, to do a sort of robot arm thing with some sensors on the end. I think an Arduino board with a servo expansion shield runs about what a RPi costs. How many servos can you control off a single pi board?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So apparently you can build a joystick using two hall effect sensors, three if you want a throttle, a magnet, and an arduino and the unojoy library, but only has 6 input pins.

Looks like the Adruino Leonardo has 12 analog inputs but only supports keyboard and mouse with no Unojoy support

Actually what'd I'd like is a netduino with unojoy support but that's probably not happening.

Looks like between the Arduino Uno, Sensors and Magnet I'd be about $40 out the door? $30 for an Uno seems steep but maybe I've been spoiled by cheap "hacker" bits/mini computers like the Pi for $35 and Beaglebone Black for $45...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I ordered an Intel Galileo, how big of a mistake did I make over just getting a traditional Arduino? I was seduced by it's sexy dual USB and onboard 10/100 eithernet. For less price I probably could have gotten a Beagle Bone Black with HDMI out, but I'm buying this primarily as a microcontroller, not Yet Another Computer

I am bad at posting, found the Arduino Thread

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 28, 2014

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Beaglebone Black finally has native Debian support :woop:

*digs BBB out of disused box*

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Banana Pi looks a lot like the pcDuino with a Raspberry Pi pinout instead of an arduino pinout.

At least the pcDuino comes with a low power wifi option @ $40, the pcDuino V2 has the A20 chip (I think) for ~$74

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah any operating system should still allow you to install Python or other languages and start hacking around. It looks like raspbmc is based on Debian, so it should be easy to install any missing programming language packages with apt-get. For example to install mono you would type "sudo apt-get install mono-complete".

As far as programming with mono vs. python. I would give python a shot first. There are likely more libraries written to access GPIO, etc. for python than mono. Mono should be very similar to using the .NET framework on a PC, but I think some of the bigger parts like WPF, WCF, etc. are missing or not fully implemented.

A great resource for learning python is Learn Python The Hard Way. As far as python GPIO libraries go, I've used and like the RPI.GPIO library.

You can actually access GPIO directly from the filesystem and manipulate it from the command line if you're curious too: http://elinux.org/RPi_Low-level_peripherals#Bash_shell_script.2C_using_sysfs.2C_part_of_the_raspbian_operating_system

MIT (yes the MIT) has a great intro to computer science, they have at least three different "semesters" to choose from, I personally did the 2011 course, but I see there's a 2013 course (same material/instructor, different year/semester). This is just intro to CS but it goes all the way through their master's program if you should feel so inclined.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electric...uction-to-6.00/

Also includes the (recorded!) TA sessions, lecture slides, notes, quizzes, example code etc. You can go from zero to "code your way out of a cardboard box" in about five hours. It's on youtube and iTunes music store for free.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_OpenCourseWare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX3jvD7XFPs

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 7, 2014

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is this the correct amount of buzzing for a servo to make when holding position/idle?

Looking here it would appear that the servo has a PWM frequency of 5mhz

http://learn.parallax.com/KickStart/900-00005

And my code specifies 5mhz: var pwm = new bbbPWM('/sys/devices/ocp.3/pwm_test_P8_13.11/', 5000000);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvThFwL8fN8

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 11, 2014

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TheLastManStanding posted:

That 5000000 is the period in ns, not the frequency, which equates to 5 ms

:smithicide: Warning to others, always check your units. There went four hours of my life. That fixed it, thanks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TVarmy posted:

I was wondering if there are any good really small, inexpensive and low powered boards like the Raspberry Pi but instead of focusing on GPIO or graphics, the board instead had better I/O and processor performance and compatibility with SATA hard drives?

PCDuino makes some models in the $50-120 range that have SATA ports on them and use the very common ("standard") A10 and A20 allwinner chips

This one is $77 and has a SATA port, also has arduino pinouts and wifi, runs ubuntu
http://store.cutedigi.com/pcduino3-a20-single-board-computer-supports-arduino-programming/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Check out the BeagleBone Black, it has 7 analog inputs with 12 bit resolution. The only annoying thing is

The only annoying thing is that they're never in stock. Get ready for a 6 week wait time...

The new Debian OS release is heads and shoulders above the old angstrom release. I've been running mine now for about 2 months now without issue.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not sure where else to post this, but I thought this was kind of interesting. On the far left (click to embiggen) looks like an Intel Edison or similar "microcontroller"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah that is most likely. However, I wonder if they've expanded .Net Micro Framework somehow, similar to what the Netduino guys are doing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently the Beaglebone Black got upgraded to a 4GB eMMC and they're finally shipping with a variant of Debian with pin overlay/capemgr support, plus they're actually in stock now. Price bump to $55 though, but they're about twice as fast as a Pi.

Previously they shipped with a Linux distribution "Angstrom" which almost nobody tests/builds against except for core functionality software, especially on ARM. In particular USB Wi-Fi dongles.

I tried out the march beta of Debian on BBB and it's actually quite good, probably will upgrade my BBB here next month and give it a try.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 27, 2014

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My RPi A+ arrived today! Holy crap it is tiny! If you wedge it in diagonally it will sort of fit in an Altoids tin with the lid closed (but not lay flat). For a robotics project it's very price and power competitive, not to mention size competitive!

With the additional GPIO, smaller form factor and better mounting holes the guys working on the Arduino Tre are about to be eaten for lunch.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I dunno if I'd call it ghetto, this is custom compiled code for that specific GPU, nVidia's CUDA is sort of an abstraction layer. Performance wise in theory this has the potential to be faster than abstracted CUDA.

Either way, that's pretty neat. Could you possibly compile large sections of OpenCV to run on the GPU?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Vavrek posted:

I use a tiny Edimax adapter. They've even added "Ideal for Raspberry Pi" to the item name on Amazon. (They are pretty great WiFi adapters, if you don't need 5GHz or a big antenna.)

In the latest Debian releases for the BBB the Edimax adapter is supported at boot as well. Sometime in the last 18 months it became a gold-rated supported device for Debian in general. Chiming in to say I use the Edimax on my A+ and it works great.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a way to talk to the Raspberry Pi over the USB power connection?

This was really handy for the BBB, I could toss it in my bag and get some work done on a road trip or whatever. Hook it up to the usb port and SSH in to the board via putty over a COM port. Magic.

I've sort of come up with a workaround where I use my phone as a hotspot with the same wifi credentials as my home wifi router and then run a powershell script to ping all the IP addresses in the /24 block but that's kludgy at best

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ante posted:

You can't bring a short ethernet cable, too?

It's an A+ model with an edimax USB wifi nub, no RJ-45 jack

I do have some serial->BT adapters floating around, establishing an X session over 112 kilobaud serial would be a trip

Seems kind of silly I can't talk to it without an intermediary when it's plugged in to my laptop via a data cable.

I guess you could setup some kind of script where if after 2 minutes if it can't connect to a known AP it switches over to being an access point that you can connect to. That seems like an awful lot of work though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh I have a BT dongle; I can just SSH in over that instead of wifi; it looks like this is pretty straightforward.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The pi dies when you try connecting to the router, or the router dies and nothing can connect to the internet anymore?

If it's the first you may have too many devices attached to the pi on an unpowered hub.

If it's the second, what are the model numbers of the dongle and router

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Having a reliable distro (something the Beaglebone Black lacked until about March '14) and a wide variety of plug'n'play "hat"s with a good driver base is about 90% of what people are looking for I think. Arduino is still king of the lowest-end microcontrollers despite about a bajillion competing devices with both better specs and at a lower price point, based on the same ideals of good SDK and supported hardware add-ons. It's really, really nice to have google results show up for whatever error you're getting on the Pi, vs the random chinese knockoff board of the week.

Probably going to pick up one of these B+ to use as a dedicated VPN server.

1GB RAM is tits though, they're going to bury the Beaglebone Black now, along with the long-delayed Arduino Tre. All they need now is Cloud9 prepackaged, running on port 81 and they're golden.

Oh, random sidenote, on the A+ with the edimax usb wifi nub, I see about 130mA draw, although it will spike to about 250-280mA shortly after boot. Once it boots it will happily respond to pings and SSH sessions powered from of a 250mA-rated 5v solar panel (just barely larger than a playing card), just don't try anything CPU intensive. I think with an ultracap wired inline I could probably get it solar powered.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 2, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They were on track to do 4 million units shipped in October, 5 million by end of year 2015 is a reasonable assumption. That's about $60 million a year in revenue for a company with less than 200 employees. Even if only one in a hundred Pi get plugged in and the owner mentions it to a friend, that's an incredible amount of word of mouth, well past the critical mass needed. The Odroid stuff is probably faster, but by how much? 3%? 8%? Being able to Google the answer to your problem instantly is worth a lot to most users.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would imagine the version of "windows" the Pi is getting will look a lot like Microst Hyper-V Server 2012 R2, i.e. it boots to a "gui" with a single cmd window and a single powershell window. No explorer, no directx. Probably shipping with .net v5.0 to run command line apps, and RDP access but not much else. Oh, and task manager. (Full disclosure: I run a Hyper-V VM lab at home)

http://www.itwriting.com/blog/6509-microsofts-hyper-v-server-2012-too-painful-to-use.html

Maybe it will have a ruthlessly cut down version of explorer, a copy of Spartan (son of IE) or some Pi-specific GUI? They've already said that it won't be capable of running MS Office.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I don't think it'll be nearly that ugly, but in terms of functionality I'm expecting it to have the Athens IoT kernel with custom GUI, not a slimmed down RT kernel. I'm trying to demonstrate the out of the box functionality, mainly as a vehicle to run custom .net apps and scripts, rather than a traditional consumer windows desktop. Windows 10 apparently has a modern looking console window (finally) although I haven't tried it out myself.

Kind of interested in what they come up with for the GUI, as it's a free product not meant for business users, and not directly tied to their main product, which really frees them up to do something even more wild than their failed Metro experiment. They could do something in the Win7 starter edition to Metro specturm, or do something wild like the old Moblin/Meego or first gen Ubuntu Netbook Remix (which eventually morphed in to the cancer that is Unity). They're not tied to anything at all so they could go in any direction with no real repercussions. A lot of Pi HAT displays are fewer than 640x480 pixels so I wonder if they'll take that in to consideration. Pi HATs lend themselves to single purpose full screen applications so the underlying OS doesn't matter so much as long as it gets out of the way and doesn't hurt performance or battery life.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Has anyone gotten coreCLR to compile on the Pi yet?

I've seen some instructions but they were 64 bit only.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bus Pirate is $30, for $55 you can get a Beagle Bone Black which plugs in to your PC in the same way (i.e. SSH in to the device over usb), but can run independent of the PC once you get the code sorted out. Comes with an onboard Python/Javascript IDE, also 4GB of onboard eMMC so you don't have to shell out $8 more for the SD card like you do for the Pi 2 (which is going for $45 on Adafruit right now, so $45 + 8 = $53, and doesn't have the "SSH over usb" capability of the BBB.)

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1996

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

YouTuber posted:

Given that we've moved onto the second generation of development boards wouldn't now be a prudent time to kill the thread and make it a generic thread for the Raspberry Pi and other boards: O-Droid, Beaglebone Black, Banana Pi etc etc?

Yes. Please

Raspberry Pi
Bananna Pi
Odroid C1
Beaglebone Black
ESP8266
Edison/Galileo

Did I miss any? Onion Omega looks neat but I don't think they've even started their Kickstarter yet.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 8, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

google for "xenon flash emp" yields two conflicting theories. I agree with the first one, but the second one has interesting osciliscope graphs. Not sure I buy "the raspberry pi is a solar panel!", but the chip acting as an antenna from the EMP blast created by the xenon flash sounds plausible.

quote:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9016171
Ok I think the biggest misconception here is conflating the EMP with the Xenon lamp flash.

The EMP is generated by the lamp/flashing circuit, which is essentially acting like a small (but not atomic) dipole antenna excited by a pulse. Therefore it has a distinctive cut-off frequency, probably in the 10s of Mhz range but I'm not sure exactly (something like this: [1]). This pulse is picked up by wires that act as antenna, and you get RF interference.

The Xenon flash has also a distinct spectrum, but it's essentially contained in the visible light range (in a log-frequency spectral density plot) [2], which is what you want with a lamp! This emission is absorbed by the semiconductor material by exciting bandgaps: displacing electrons causing voltage spikes.

internets posted:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9015663

Oh neat, I just reproed it with a Pi 2 and a Canon Speedlight flash. I'll put my scope on the power lines and see what's happening when you flash the board. Sounds like from the thread one of the power ICs is photo sensitive.

edit: Wow yeah, here's a look at the 3.3V power line when you flash the board, it drops almost down to 0V and then wildly fluctuates for about 100 nanoseconds:

edit 2: Another interesting measurement, with the board _totally unplugged_ and flashing it you can see a big voltage spike on the 3.3V rail. Up to 6-7 volts or so for a few nanoseconds:

I guess not only can you learn about electronics but also Einstein's photoelectric effect with the Pi 2!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the cheapest out the door price for a Pi 2.0 1GB? I am seeing $48 shipped on ebay, can anyone beat that?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Now that people are writing assembly on bare metal pi, how far away are we from an arduino style bootloader with serial over gpio? That would be nearly the same as arduino but with a 1ghz processor and 1gb ram, and reading from SD instead of internal chip flash.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would get a load sensor (bathroom scale sensor) and put it under the entire coffee pot brewer, then wire the "brew" switch (they're normally momentary) to a GPIO. You might have to disassemble a digital scale, I dunno. They're $10 each online and a digital scale has between 2 and 4 plus a display for $30

Every time the GPIO goes low (BREW), take a photo along with a weight reading and tag it as [BREW], then also every time the load sensor detects a change of > 3oz worth of coffee, take a weight reading and photo 45 seconds after the weight stabilizes.

Between the BREW events with weight and regular mapping of carafe weight you should be able to build a pretty usable graph, with a way to click on individual points and get a photo to backup the status of that point in time, something like this?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

0:38 :psypop:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

nonentity posted:

Edit:

I will be using the Pi2 to upgrade my PelicanPi gamebox...

Still need to machine the monitor plate and the rear plug plate... Perhaps getting the Pi2 in will prompt me to finish this project.

Please post pics on mounting display and keyboard.

Kind of a shame you cut holes in the waterproof case, it would have been a great chance to make use of dual inductive chargers

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

PBCrunch posted:

I get the feeling with the C1 that development will completely stop when Odroid releases their next model, where Pi 2 development will continue until the end of western civilization.

Pretty much this. Pi 2 is "good enough", may someday run a variant of windows (pending), and has outsold the odroid and banana pi combined 10 to 1, it's already reached arduino status. That extended long term support is a big deal going down the road. Most everything written today will still run on the original model A.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was never able to get USB spin down to work normally in Unix using Centos or Ubuntu in 2012, I don't think it's improved since then. What you're describing sounds identical to my troubles.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 6, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Depending on your use case it may be worth your while to just go SSD and forget about the whole thing. Alternately if you're using something like a WD Red it's probably preferable to have it not spin down but once a week. Once spun up a rotational drive uses less than a watt of power which is about double what the Pi uses at idle.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I see the Samsung MZ-75E120B 120GB SSD for $80 shipped on Newegg, that's barely $20 more than the cheapest rotational drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jamsta posted:

Raspberry Pi 2 VS Orange Pi VS Banana Pro
by GreatScott

That's pretty neat that you can power the Orange Pi directly off of a 3.7v cell, and charge off of the the Pi's USB port. The build quality seems so-so but having integrated 3.7v support is a huge plus for a first battery powered project like a tiny homebuilt laptop.