Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Hi all,

I've been using my OG pi for a couple years now as my usenet download/NAS, and it's worked well so far. However, I've noticed that network transfer speeds have been slower than they should be. I've got my files shared out via SMB (for my Windows PC's) and NFS (for my FireTV running Kodi), and according to vnstat the maximum throughput I seem to get is a steady ~1MB/sec. According to what I've found online I should be getting at least 3-5MB/sec. I'm on a wired connection and the pi is overclocked to 900mhz.

I've spent a lot of time lately trying various fixes and I'm starting to think something may be wrong with the NIC. Would anyone be willing to help me out, perhaps even privately? I can even throw a few bucks your way. I'd rather try to see if this is fixable before just trying my luck with a Pi3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

theperminator posted:

Is the 3-5MB figure accounting for you saturating your USB bus with IO as well as the networking? Why would anyone torture themselves by using a Pi as a nas? You could be getting literally 100x the performance with anything else.

Trying to get away with using as little power as possible. I'm only storing movies, TV shows and music on it. So far everything works great, except anything that's both 1080p and DTS.

I admittedly know very little overall about Linux. I will give iperf a try when I get home.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Careful Drums posted:

I swung by microcenter this morning and picked up a 3 for some emulation boost and a zero to see about setting up a pi hole.

But now what to do with the first-gen?

Heh I turned my first-gen into a pi hole when I got my 3. After that I was inspired to set up a zero pi hole for my mother-in-law and it works great - just make sure you have all the appropriate adapters/dongles!

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
It only has a mini-HDMI, so take that into consideration for your initial setup. Also, there's no ethernet port, so unless you're running a W, you'll need a usb-to-ethernet dongle.

The power & hdmi are a little too close to each other, so be mindful of the width of your connectors.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Is it possible to run it headless from the start? When I've set mine up I've hooked them up to my monitor until ssh was working.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Awesome, thanks! It's a question I simply never thought to ask haha. I'll save that for the future.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

GobiasIndustries posted:

how much power would a router need to be able to put out to power a pi zero w off the usb port? I've got a pi2 set up as a dns server for my guest network that I've been meaning to migrate to a zero w for a while and if I could power it off my Archer C7 that would be even better.

My mother-in-law's is running off of my old Linksys E3000, so you'll probably be fine.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

GobiasIndustries posted:

tried to install pihole on my zero w using the command line on the website, got this message:
[\e[1;31m✗\e[0m] OS distribution not supported

I installed the latest version of raspbian lite, do I need a different OS for this?

Not sure, but I used DietPi for mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Donkringel posted:

For pihole is there a way to have my powerline adapted computers run through pinhole, or is it Wi-Fi only?

Daztek posted:

You just need to set your pi as DNS server on your router or on the PCs themselves

Or turn DHCP off on your router and on in pihole.