Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Apparently they've paired with two "licensed manufacturers" in the UK, Farnell and RS Components to get them produced in bulk, and are selling them now, but the actual units still aren't in the UK.

One direct link is here (and is only soliciting names and e-mails, rather than taking orders):

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=raspberrypi

And both sites are timing out half the time or more, so good luck buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ppp posted:

"If you're only seeing "register an interest" on RS's site, you're on the wrong page."

via twitter

Nice of them to say that when that's exactly the page that you land on when you follow their instructions to search for "raspberry pi" on their site.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Pweller posted:

The page does say that there is some sort of 'distribution network' that is supposed to allow you to get a unit shipped from within your country presumably.

I managed to get deep enough into Farnell's site just to find that they don't have any North American distributors at all, so that's not actually true. (RS does have a US distributor though, not that they have the Raspberry Pi available for sale on it.)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Cuck Everlasting posted:

export.farnell.com should lead to a US distributor but the server is still melted.

I got export.farnell.com to work for a few moments. No US distributor was listed. Only Asia, Middle East, Europe, Africa, and Latin America.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Helps if you live in Britain I guess.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DrMelon posted:

I don't think the confusion is over the fact that it sold out fast, but that the site was completely inaccessible - so how did it get sold?

It might not have been as inaccessible from Britain or Europe for example. Lower ping times may have helped.

And even I was able to navigate to the Exports site for a few seconds, so it wasn't completely down.

EDIT: I am stupid and have forgotten how TCP/IP works. Probably some subset of people hammering the site got in (with a Connection: Keep-Alive which allowed them to finish their shopping?) while Apache blocked the others. It happens on heavily loaded sites. It's not like no one gets their requests fulfilled.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 29, 2012

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Talaii posted:

I got an email about it today. Surely that counts, right?

It's more than I've gotten from Newark (US)...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Newark sent out a mail saying that they're expecting to finally ship U.S. orders after they receive a shipment on June 18. Too bad this means it's going to arrive just after I leave the U.S. for a 2 month trip where I wanted to get a chance to play with it. :doh: