Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I picked up an rpi3 this week and it's amazing what this cheap little thing can do.

I put retropie on it and I've got tons of emulators and kodi on it. Everything I did with my Mac mini and Apple TV I can do with this $60 purchase. (Note, not everything I COULD do with the Mac mini and Apple TV, but everything I DID do)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Full Battle Rattle posted:

DOUBLE EDIT: Upon further research I noticed I have a rainbow square in the top right corner at boot, which means I'm not drawing enough power? I have a 2.5A canakit power supply, I should be fine. Harrumph.

How many devices do you have plugged in to USB ports?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Yeah no power supply is going to fix the fact that n64 emulation is still pretty crappy today on machines that can handle it, and n64 emulation is also approaching the hardware limits of what the pi can actually do.

Your power supply was the problem, don't get me wrong, because it did improve the situation to the point of it not being the problem anymore, since it made everything else work, but if you want a reliable way to play every n64 game unfortunately emulation is not the way to go with that system on any hardware. You're going to have to get a real n64 and a flashcart if you want that experience.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Are you sure it was the low voltage square and not the too hot square? From the way you describe it, it sounds like the too hot square and it would make sense if it was trying to render gl in software mode.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The Xbox one wireless protocol is encrypted and thus far not a lot of progress has been made at getting it working outside of windows. Bluetooth is your best bet there.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mantle posted:

In 2013 I was running OpenELEC and my Xbox DVD remote and dongle worked in Kodi plug and play.

Now I'm trying to run Kodi in Raspbian instead of using OpenELEC, but the Xbox remote is not supported by default. I can't figure out how to add support because all of the articles I can find are outdated and no longer work with current distributions.

Is there some setup I could copy from an OpenELEC install into Raspbian?

I can't remember exactly where (maybe /etc/default/kodi) but you need to set it to run as the "pi" user. then the remote will work again.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mantle posted:

I'll try this when I get home. Is this behavior documented anywhere? It's not intuitive to me that the user would make a difference.

The kodi user it creates and runs as doesn't have keyboard access and all the ir thing does is send keyboard commands.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mantle posted:

I changed the user to pi and there is still no response. The xpad driver is loaded for the dongle and I've checked the batteries in the remote. Any other ideas to troubleshoot? Just to confirm its the original Xbox DVD remote, not the Xbox 360 remote.

Ah I see. I have no idea then. I've never used that particular dongle. I used a flirc dongle with a Logitech harmony remote and that worked great. Now I'm just using a Wii U pro controller via Bluetooth because my baby got ahold of the remote and broke it

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

CarForumPoster posted:

This screams counterfeit to me. Amazon is infamous in the defense industry for bullshit like this to the point where we simply can't order anything from them.

What kind of stuff is the defense industry ordering on amazon?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

LionArcher posted:

So I'm assuming making a retro gaming system with a pi is pretty easy? Assuming I have all the games legally already, but don't have the systems anymore. I'm specially talking about for Snes

You don't have to own the games for the ROMs if you promise Bill Clinton you'll delete them within 24 hours

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

IAmKale posted:

Are there any particular gotchas I should be aware of when deploying Pi-hole? I'm considering setting one up at my parent's place to minimize their exposure to ad/malware but before I do so I want to make sure I'm not just opening myself up to more hassle because it's a particularly finicky solution.

You need to whitelist a couple things for quality of life. I can't remember the exact domains right now but YouTube will stop recording history (which is useful for some people) if you don't unblock a domain there, and windows 10 won't update (even manually) without unlocking a few. There's also the thing that the top result on google is almost always a paid listing but those can be useful anyway, and when clicking those you get an error about the website being blocked which can be frustrating for someone that's not computer savvy.

I really like the pihole on my home connection but my parents would be really confused if they clicked google search results and they came up with a website blocked error.

Installing ad block plugins in their browsers might be a better idea.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Anti-Bunny posted:

Any suggestions on a hat with a lot of buttons?

Something like a Pimoroni Drum HAT, but with even more buttons? Preferably clicky physical buttons I can label, but not required. The piano would do it but it would be awkward.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Matsuri posted:

That's all fine with me either way, I was just wondering. I do hope SNES emulation has improved though. The lagging and sound issues I had playing through Chrono Trigger 4 years ago was a little disappointing, but not enough to make me give up playing it-- my expectations are a bit higher now.

RetroPie on a pi3 can play most SNES games ok but there's still lag and frame drops here and there.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Jago posted:

My pops got me a raspberry pi 3 with a breadboard kit and all those accessories.

I've already got a pi3 as a media center.

Top of my head I'm thinking I can use it as a DNS server, maybe some kind of net facing proxy for managing my internal network devices? I already have a windows server for print management and torrenting and a synology for mass storage and basic sharing.

Then I can plug some kind of LED status bar on it for the whole "kitness" of it. Maybe control some lighting in my office with a motion sensor and relay?

Any suggestions along these lines?

Look in to pi hole.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

mystes posted:

Even if it is simpler in practice than alternatives, isn't it sort of silly to buy another device and attach it to your router just to run another DNS server?

It's more than just a dns server though. It has a management panel that is specifically tailored for it's purpose. Easy to use whitelist and logs for troubleshooting the inevitable connection issues that crop up from blocking stuff.

It will run off any Debian based Linux distro though so if your router or other device attached to your network is running Debian, Ubuntu, or some other apt-get distro it will work fine on that too.

Plus pi-hole is really lightweight so you can use the pi for other poo poo. I use mine as a pi hole but also use a pi2scart device hooked up to my CRT for arcade emulation.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 28, 2018

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
You should be able to have 2 different DHCP setups with some routers. One that sets the DNS to to the pi and the other that sets it to the ISP (it whatever public DNS you want). I don't know if anything specific though.

The real question for me is why would you want to do that?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GobiasIndustries posted:

PiHole update: it's up and running! I ran apt-get upgrade and it said there was nothing that needed changing, tried again, no dice. rebooted, tried again, no dice. flatten/reinstalled using the same image I'd gotten from the official website......and it worked :confused:

:shrug: Whatever. So, I turned the DHCP server on, now all that's left to do is get it on the guest wifi network. I set the whole thing up headless, can I just create another wpa_supplicant.conf file in the boot directory with the updated wifi settings like I did on first boot?

We're you running apt-get update first? Apt-get upgrade won't know about new packages if you don't update first. Update is the process that checks for new packages.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Pastry Mistakes posted:

I figured a request for a 30 year old dead game series in a thread for a product that was made for emulation it would be OK, but if not just ignore it.

There are funny looking animals called Emus and I hear that they live in some kind of paradise. Also I hear that in the UK there is some kind of dome dedicated to pleasure.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Beast Pussy posted:

Hey Pi thread,
I have a friend who has been asking about a personal weather station, so I want to buy him a what he needs for his birthday. The kits look much pricier than the parts alone, does anyone have any recommendations?
I saw the Sense hat which looks like it does temperature and humidity, but a lot of reviews said that the heat from the pi caused it to not work right, so I'm thinking I'll go with the not hat version.
This is what I was going to base my purchases off of. I'm an idiot who knows nothing about raspberry pi, so I was hoping I could get some advice, or at least some eyes to tell me if this stuff looks good.
Cheers.

Some of the fun parts of the project are doing research on what to shop for and then actually shopping for the stuff. Maybe a gift card and a note mentioning it’s for the weather station would be better than buying the parts.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bleh Maestro posted:

Yeah, sorry should have clarified. I am going to hook up to a PVM and want it to ouput at 240p

I have a pi2scart from arcadeforge and it’s awesome. If you have any specific questions about it I can answer them.

I built a SCART to BNC breakout for it so I could use it on my extron crosspoint switch.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Pihole is really just a package that uses a bunch of other services. Dnsmasq and lighttp for the most part. By default these should be ports 53 and 80.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Has anyone ever configured their pihole so that the clickable shopping ads on Google go through but their general ads don’t? I’m not sure if they have their own sub domain or anything.

This bugs my wife to no end on our setup. I don’t give a poo poo though so I’d rather they be blocked than unblock a bunch of other stuff just so those links work.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

TraderStav posted:

For pi-hole, do you get those stupid sites that complain about disabling your adblocker still? Is there a simple way to whitelist (notably for my wife). Is there an extension for Chrome for managing it?

Think I may do the pi-hole thing on my 3B+ that’s sitting around right now.

Whitelisting can be challenging because it’s not as simple as whitelisting “cnn.com” because the ads on “cnn.com” aren’t actually being served from “cnn.com” but “ads-123.scumtasticcdn.com” and the only way you’d know that would be to go into the developer tools to see what was failing to load. So if your wife is experienced with that sort of thing, yes very easy.

The web ui does log every query and tell you what’s blocked so by looking through the log you can find what needs to be whitelisted. It’s not a simple thing though and you kind of have to understand how pi-hole works and the basics of DNS to be able to do it.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 30, 2018

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

mod sassinator posted:

Well if you're running a web server from home the real answer is: don't. A digital ocean VPS or similar are $5 a month to run ($60 a year, cheaper than a video game) and much more useful. For something like a wiki that's only static content you could even use a static site generator like hugo and host it all on S3 or similar storage so you only pay for what you access. All of this can be easily locked down with SSL (free certs from letsencrypt.org) too vs. the nightmare of trying to do self signed certs at home and getting browsers to trust them. And the way more and more modern web tech is going you'll have to run sites behind real SSL certs to do anything interesting (all the recent HTML5 additions like web bluetooth, HTTP/2, service workers, etc. only work on SSL sites and won't work from a little Pi serving insecure traffic on your local network).

You know you can use certbot/letsencrypt on a home server too right? It’s dead easy.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

taiyoko posted:

I'm combination bitching and hoping that maybe someone might point me in the right direction on where I'm going wrong with things.

I have a Pi 4, that I intend to have fulfill 3 functions: 1) wireless router for the household, as the one that AT&T gave us is a piece of poo poo that only supports b/g protocols, 2) Pihole for adblocking across all household devices, and 3) VPN for when I'm not home and want my poo poo secure and pihole blocking on my phone.

I've managed to achieve #1 so far with hostapd and dnsmasq, and thought I'd gotten it so I could remote in to work on the rest later because running it non-headless is a pain in the rear end due to required proximity to the AT&T box that we have to keep running because it also controls our TV and home phone. Only, I go to access it via VNC and...it doesn't connect. So I lug back over a monitor and keyboard so I can see what's going on. The bridge is working just fine, but now any local internet-connection-needed stuff just doesn't work on the Pi. Chromium doesn't load pages, VNC server can't connect to the cloud licensing server, etc.

It’s not worth your time to use a raspberry pi as a router. Just get a real router. A nice router will also have VPN functionality

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
You could always make a project out of it and desolder the LEDs

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have a project that I'm working on to stick a raspberry pi into an old mac classic (not the color one) case (the motherboard was eaten by the battery long before I got it) to actually use the little CRT inside of it but apparently the pi3 can't do the proper video timings over it's DPI mode but the 4 can so I went online to get one and discover that, like everything else, there's a loving shortage and the only people buying these things are scalping them. I know that these guys tend to get left on a shelf or tucked into a drawer so I'm wondering if any of you guys here have a pi4 just lying unused that you'd be willing to let go for MSRP+shipping to Boston? (all the ones on ebay/facebook/craigslist are like $100+ and it's not worth it to me to pay that much for this project and I don't want to reward the scalpers)

I've already built a little ADB->USB device to use the old keyboard and mouse and video is basically all I have left and I really don't want to go down the route of sticking an LCD in here.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 14, 2022

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

JnnyThndrs posted:

Do you have a source for how to interface the Rpi 4’s video to the Mac’s LCD? I have a dead Classic the I robbed for mobo parts to fix my other one and this sounds like a cool project.

This is what I was using for the CRT stuff.

https://nerdhut.de/2020/03/17/raspberry-pi-dpi-control-crt

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have no personal interest in doing this but have to say, it's super cool

I mean, when it's done I'm probably gonna play dark castle for 5 minutes and maybe post a tweet and then it's just gonna sit on the desk either turned off or running afterdark until I get a real classic or classic II motherboard. The journey is the fun part. Once it's done I'll lose interest.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

PBCrunch posted:

The Pi 400 seems to be readily available. Can you take the board out of one of those and use it?

The 400's form factor is almost ideal for this actually because I could easily 3d print a new rear I/O panel for the classic (the stock one is easily removed and replaced) and have it right at the back of the case where the regular I/O is. One fatal flaw though, no 3.5mm audio output. Its only audio out is the HDMI. I looked in to this first and ultimately decided the lack of analog audio out was a dealbreaker.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 16, 2022

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

wolrah posted:

Depending on how much of the GPIO header you need there are plenty of DAC hats that could be connected up to give you an audio output that's a lot better than the 3.5mm on a normal Pi.

Unfortunately the GPIO gets taken over by the DPI mode in this configuration (for the CRT) so you lose almost all of the pins.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

wolrah posted:

Oh right, forgot about that. Annoyingly it looks like one of the modes actually almost would work, but the one pin it uses that's also used for audio is of course the one used for the I2S output signal to the DAC, the most critical of them all.

Well, you could always use a USB DAC just rigged internally however you feel comfortable.

edit: It looks like on the Pi 400 the keyboard is internally connected over USB, so if you're comfortable with some hardware hacking it'd be possible to remove the keyboard controller and connect an internal USB header or direct wire an accessory.

That’s what I was going to wire the ADB-USB to if I were going to go that route. I’ll just wait until I can get ahold of a regular pi4.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
For anyone looking, on March 17th 2022 at 11:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time Adafruit has some 2GBs in stock. Just snagged one myself.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4292

gone now

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

PBCrunch posted:

The poster I was responding to was talking about doing something with a Mac. From another site:

And they only get better from there.

The sound will be coming out of the single speaker in the lower left of this image, and there aren't any holes in the case near the speaker. the analog audio out from the pi will do just fine for this use case.