Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I get the feeling that most people in this thread don't really get what this is all about. Allow me to make a few points:

Many, many compromises were made to make the target price of $25/$35. That is why it's not faster, has more RAM, has analog VGA etc. (Bonus tidbit, it'll actually drive your old analog TV in addition to digital HDMI/DVI.)

It's a non-profit project whose purpose is to put cheap stuff into the hands of kids and students. That enthusiasts have flocked to the project is just a bonus (the first ten beta boards sold on eBay for massive sums, all of which went back into either a charity or further development, can't remember.)

It's not vapour. Beta boards exist, and production is running on the first shipment. I predict that the first batch will be sold out as fast as the server is able to process the transactions.

Personally I'd like to get a couple, one for myself and few for some kids in the immediate family. I like the fact that there's no case, you're putting things together yourself, and if they screw things up, worst case is we're out $35.

I really hope they take off, and maybe even get cheaper yet, so nerds can just get a couple and use one for a never-touched-again XBMC, one for tinkering, one for datalogging etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

DNova posted:

This launch was truly botched, but the foundation is just a few people who took on massive risk and spent countless hours of their time to do this. Calm down, everyone. If you want one, you'll have one. I think you will survive in the mean time.

This is the truth. All day I've been thinking: "if you're unhappy with your service, you can get a full refund." RPi doesn't owe anyone squat. Relax, people. You'll get your Pi in due time.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
^^^ Nice.

I just received mine. I'm lacking a HDMI->DVI converter, so I'll have to hook it up to my TV when I get home.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Looked a little bit into OpenBSD, and apparently BroadCom, who makes the SoC, are really tightassed about docs and specs. So far, some sort of binary bootloader is necessary, and that's not really available yet.

I think there's a fair chance we'll get the BSDs on board as well, but not right this second.

I've been playing a little bit with mine, getting some first impressions. First of all, it's not responsive, especially in X. The browser takes double-digit seconds to load, and everything feels sluggish. I'm sure me running it against a full HD TV didn't help, and the graphics are as good as non-accellerated, so I have hope.

Can't really get a good setup, but managed to squeeze about 23 mbit/s inbound and about 15 mbit/s outbound through the LAN interface. These values might be SD card limited.

In its non-overclocked state, it doesn't get warm at all.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've looked into stuff some more, and apparently the GPU boots up first, and then powers up the CPU. So the GPU is, in effect, the bootloader, and that particular piece of code is binary, and will probably never be released in source form. And even if it did, it would require a specific Broadcom GPU compiler, which we won't get either.

It appears that the GPU firmware expects a VFAT formatted partition on the SD card (at the beginning, most likely) that contains certain files (bootcode.bin, loader.bin, start.elf) and these can then boot a kernel. I'm no OS guru, but it seems plausible that other OSs could be booted that way.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Got Quake 3 sorta up and running yesterday, but I can't seem to get it to run in full HD (1920x1080) and I don't seem to be getting the advertised 60 fps. Anyone got this running?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The CPU is admittedly not very fast by modern standards, but the GPU is quite decent. It decodes H.264 in 1080p30 and has OK 3D performance.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

bolind posted:

Can't really get a good setup, but managed to squeeze about 23 mbit/s inbound and about 15 mbit/s outbound through the LAN interface. These values might be SD card limited.

Got a good setup, and pushed through 10.9 Mbyte/s on an HTTP transfer. That's pretty OK for a 10/100 NIC.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

rustybikes posted:

Echoing my earlier comment that using DLNA/UPnP with XBMC does offer marginally better behaviour. My guess is that interrupts via USB (for the memory stick and maybe wireless keyboard dongle) are more expensive than interrupts for Ethernet. There are some visual artifacts during seeking, but they settle out as soon as the camera angle changes in the video stream.

Since the ethernet port runs over USB as well, that can't really be the explanation. They should both do 512 byte USB bulk transfers...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Both suppliers appear to have lifted the one-per-order restriction, and they're talking about a four to six week lead time, so...

Anybody knows how many of these in circulation so far? They're ramping up production to 4000 units per day, so it must be in the hundreds of thousands, or get there soon.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I heard this thread likes Raspberry Pis.

So do I (well, my company):

Mix in a bit of 3D printing...

Some off-the-shelf hardware...

Assemble...

Add one (1) surplus 19" PoE switch... (sorry about the shite image quality - not much light in the server room)

And you have yourself a fairly decent 3U collection of remotely power cyclable ARM linux nodes on which you can do TOP SECRET stuff.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

A shelf of pi's in my server room is the last thing I would ever want to be responsible for.

It's not so bad, they're compute nodes, and over provisioned, so if a couple break down it's no big deal. But server-grade they ain't.

BattleMaster posted:

I bet it's cheaper than a rack server running a bunch of virtual machines but I'd rather have to manage a proper setup than deal with a set of Pis.

You do you, though. It's probably more fun to build something like that then buy something off the shelf at least.

Tell me where I can get 40 ARM cores in a nice and neat package and I'm all ears. That Chinese vaporware 24-way ARM server only counts when it's shipping.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

BattleMaster posted:

So now I'm curious what you're doing that specifically needs an ARM CPU.

edit: I'm curious because I've personally never used a Pi for something that couldn't just be run on or recompiled for any other Linux system

It’s used to test and benchmark code aimed to run on that platform. Does it compile? Do the tests run? How fast is our standard test? Is valgrind happy?

We have certain optimized functions that sport ARM intrinsics, using the vectorized operations and such, which can really only be exercised on real hardware.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

ante posted:

Do the new Pis with PoE get toasty enough to warp 3D printed ABS?

It’s PLA, and I don’t know, time will tell. Things have been designed a little bit with airflow in mind and they will live in a climate controlled space, but it remains to be seen. Curious what the PoE load will be at full tilt, I think it’s somewhere in the 5W per Pi neighborhood.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Everything that made chrome awesome is gone, so people use it just because it has momentum. There are better options out there now.

I’m a dumbass living under a rock. What are these better options? (I’m 100% serious.)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

I want to block all of reddit.com with my pi-hole except for some specific subreddits. I spent some time figuring out how to do the regex for it and the regex rule works on regex101.com but it doesn’t block anything when I put it into pi-hole. I searched on google and it seems like what I want to do isn’t possible because pi-hole apparently can only block all of the (sub)domain or none of the (sub)domain, but nothing in between.

I don’t really understand why this wouldn’t be possible especially if I can give it a regex rule. Doesn’t pi-hole just like go “if website found in list then block it else pass it through?”

Spitballing here, but I would imagine that pihole, being a DNS replacement, only works on domains and not the path part of the URL. Since all subreddits are still on reddit.com, you’re SOL.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Recommend me a temperature sensor for the pi. Simple as possible, preferably no soldering, a meter of more of cable, cost not really a concern as it’s Other Peoples’ Money. USB would be nice.

Edit: range is not too crazy, 15-80°C is fine.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Air temperature.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
“Ho hum, better check that raspberry pi thread if someone replied, probably not...”

:stare:

That’s above and beyond guys, from the bottom of my cold, nerdy heart: thank you!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Real curious what the actual ethernet speed on that Raspberry Pi 4 is - hoping for 1Gbit.

Anyone know whether the existing PoE HAT will work on it?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Does anyone know if there's still heat issues with the RPi 4 when running with the PoE HAT (that has a fan that blows on the CPU, if I'm not mistaken.)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Double post: on Raspbian, the ssh file in the boot partition has saved me many pluggings and unpluggings; is there an equivalent on Ubuntu Server?

bolind fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Nov 5, 2019

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It turns out the docs are wrong; ssh IS enabled on Ubuntu 19.10. Just ssh in with ubuntu/ubuntu and the first thing that'll happen is that you'll be forced to change the password.

Also:

code:
root@ubuntu:~# iperf3 -c speedtest.serverius.net -p 5002
Connecting to host speedtest.serverius.net, port 5002
[  5] local 172.20.4.110 port 38678 connected to 178.21.16.76 port 5002
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr  Cwnd
[  5]   0.00-1.00   sec  88.1 MBytes   739 Mbits/sec    0   2.45 MBytes
[  5]   1.00-2.00   sec   111 MBytes   933 Mbits/sec    0   2.57 MBytes
[  5]   2.00-3.00   sec   112 MBytes   944 Mbits/sec    0   2.70 MBytes
[  5]   3.00-4.00   sec   111 MBytes   933 Mbits/sec    0   2.70 MBytes
[  5]   4.00-5.00   sec   111 MBytes   933 Mbits/sec    0   2.70 MBytes
[  5]   5.00-6.00   sec   111 MBytes   933 Mbits/sec    0   2.70 MBytes
[  5]   6.00-7.00   sec   112 MBytes   944 Mbits/sec    0   2.70 MBytes
[  5]   7.00-8.00   sec   111 MBytes   933 Mbits/sec    0   2.70 MBytes
[  5]   8.00-9.00   sec   111 MBytes   933 Mbits/sec    0   2.70 MBytes
[  5]   9.00-10.00  sec   111 MBytes   933 Mbits/sec    0   2.70 MBytes
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr
[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.07 GBytes   916 Mbits/sec    0             sender
[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.07 GBytes   915 Mbits/sec                  receiver

iperf Done.
:stare:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Kassad posted:

You could also try to use Kodi to handle the video streaming, the UI is meant for use on a TV. My TV isn't 4k but it's readable enough at 1080p.

Unrelated: I tried to install Ubuntu on my pi 4 (mostly to see if I could get an up-to-date Firefox to see how it handles YouTube videos) but entering the default login gave me a "login incorrect" message :confused:
I'm not sure if I did something wrong or what it was so I just went back to Raspbian.

Worked fine for me? It’s ubuntu/ubuntu and then on the first login you’re forced to update your password.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Another option is the official PoE shield and and switch that can feed them but it gets a bit expensive fast.

Search for my posts in this thread to see that concept taken a bit too far.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

i vomit kittens posted:

Has anyone tried installing the 64 bit version of Ubuntu Server on a Pi 4 yet? I see back in July there was a bug where it was limited to 1 GB of RAM but I'm not sure if that's been fixed.

code:
goatfucker@rpi004:~$ uname -a
Linux rpi004 5.3.0-1012-raspi2 #14-Ubuntu SMP Mon Nov 11 10:06:55 UTC 2019 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
goatfucker@rpi004:~$ free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:        3882400      289680      136784        3748     3455936     3534040
Swap:             0           0           0
Ubuntu 19.10 64 bit for Raspberry Pi.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Good news: Now you don't even have to buy a raspberry pi to play with a raspberry pi: https://github.com/lukechilds/dockerpi

Only the RPi 1 for now and networking isn't enabled, not entirely sure why.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Nybble posted:

I‘ll have to try out DockerPi as a way to install and build packages that would take a while on the physical device. That would be much nicer than waiting (and sometimes failing) on the Zero’s clock speed and memory. But I might be missing why this isn’t feasible due to architecture differences.

Don’t get your hopes too high. Apart from the memory limitations which have already been mentioned, the emulated kernel is pretty slow.

The way forward would be cross compilation on a fast x86_64 machine but that can also be a pain to set up.

That being said, qemu is perfectly capable of emulating newer raspberry pis or more generic arm machines, it just takes some time to learn.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

TheFluff posted:

Is there such a thing as a Pi-like device with an actually good CPU on it? Like, something with at least a few Cortex A76 cores or something, like on the flagship smartphones. Looking for something to use as a dev environment for NEON-optimized DSP code, and I don't want to optimize for an older 32-bit low-power CPU. At the moment it's looking like an ARM-based Surface is one of the few options to get something like this, but it's $1000.

The Raspberry Pi 4 is quad core 64 bit (with Ubuntu on it) but only A72 cores.

Maybe take a look at the DragonBoard series of SBCs? At least double the price of a Pi, but doable. I've used the 420c and it was fine.

https://www.96boards.org/product/dragonboard820c/

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

TheFluff posted:

I've poked around on 96boards but didn't see anything particularly interesting. The one you linked has a Snapdragon 820 which uses a custom ARMv8 uarch (not a Cortex design, in other words), but it's a fairly old one, circa 2015, so it's not all that interesting unfortunately.

At this point I think I'll just wait for EC2's second gen Gravitons to become available and test those first before I try something else. Thanks for the input anyway, everyone!

Its probably a long shot, but can you simulate it with QEMU?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
There was some discussion upthread about what to use an OG Pi 1 for. I just threw a fresh raspbian and raspotify on mine and it works splendidly as a Spotify Connect thingie, providing USB audio to my active speakers.

CPU load sits right around 35% so it remains to be seen whether I’ll see glitches if the Pi decides to do some maintenance, but so far so good.

I’m honestly amazed of how easy that whole thing went together. Only thing not plug and play was that I had to explicitly tell ALSA to use the USB sound card instead of the default.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

a primate posted:

Has anyone ever accidentally deleted the partitions on an SD drive?

I am a moron and did this, and now it’s showing 0bytes and won’t let me format it.

E: welp, I fixed it using the SD Card Formatter from sdcard.org. Saved me $25

Yup, there’s some fuckery with windows and as cards at times where the sdcard.org one is the only one that gets poo poo done.

It might not even be you, I’ve seen cards that, once raspbian had been written to them once, windows refused to work with them.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'd just like to direct attention to the fact that Etcher now can write media directly from an URL which is loving amazeballs especially for rapid prototyping. Have script that builds image, copy it to web server, burn directly from there, done.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
If you have the option of wiring it up with an Ethernet cable, even just temporarily, that can quench a few unknowns. But seeing as it sounds like you won’t be running it headless, it should be fine either way.

Also, don’t be afraid to try different distros. It’s very simple to just burn a different one and give it a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
If you're comparing to the OG first gen RPi, there's been hyuuuuuge leaps since then. For one, they were single core, which everyone forgot how much sucked.