Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
RS's legendary delays turned out to be a blessing in disguise for me. I had sent them a query as I hadn't gotten a shipping notification within the timeframe they had put up in their FAQ. A few days later I did get the shipping notification, and they replied to me after that, to say that according to their records it has just shipped, but if I don't receive it within a week to contact them again.

So I waited a week and a half, checked my PO box daily, and mailed them to say it hadn't arrived yet. They said they're going to investigate it, but also send a replacement by DHL Express who will send me an individual tracking number directly. Weeks go by with nothing in my PO box, no mail from DHL and no mail from RS. So I mailed them back a few times, and last week they replied to say they're investigating both the original delivery as well the replacement Express delivery, as according to their records the replacement should have shipped 3 weeks previously.

On Monday I got a call from DHL to get my physical address for delivery on Tuesday. And on Monday afternoon I checked my PO box again and found a parcel collection slip. Looking at the attached invoices, despite the shipping notification being sent on Oct 4, the invoice for the original delivery was dated Oct 22, and despite them saying the Express replacement was sent 3-4 weeks ago, the invoice for that was dated Nov 15.

So I collected 2 Pi's this week. Not only that, but due to them only actually shipping 3-4 weeks after saying that they would, both are also the 512MB ones rather than 256MB.

Still won't order from them again though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

tarepanda posted:

I'd like to be able to unplug/replug in a 3G USB modem without having to actually physically be near the Pi to do it -- is it possible to cycle the USB bus power or something to simulate this? I'm aware that that would also kill the network controller, so it'd have to be in a script to power up the bus again later.

Using Raspbian on a Model B, if it makes a difference.

Can you tell me what make/model 3G USB modem you're using, and if you have any info on how to set them up on the Pi? I'm looking specifically at connecting a Huawei E5331 via USB, but if there's generic instructions available then that'd get me a starting point as well.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
I've had very good wifi results using both a Tenda W311MI and Tenda W311M. They work out the box with Raspbian and draw very little power - I've got my Pi running with Medium overclock with either of those two wifi adapters connected to a 1A cellphone charger and it works perfectly.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
I've ordered a whole bunch of Raspberry Pis to deploy in kiosks. They work fine for the most part, but there are a few which stay stuck on that colourful screen on startup and don't proceed to boot. Power cycling gets them started up once in a few tries but they're more stuck than not.
Is there anything simple that I can do to try and sort these out or do I just RMA all of the ones that are doing this?

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

angry armadillo posted:

It was easy enough to install Libre Office and put a command that opens the .ppt on boot - but the display keeps turning off after a while. I assume power saving but I've not found the magic that stops it yet :(

Edit /etc/rc.local as root

Add the following:
code:
setterm -blank 0
before the 'exit 0' line.

Reboot.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
Does the Pi 2 have a separate OS image from the previous ones? I'd expect it would, since the CPU architecture is different, but the downloads page on raspberrypi.org doesn't seem to have different images for them. Is software built for the older boards binary compatible with the newer ones?

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
I want to connect some RS232 devices to a pi in the cheapest possible manner. Is it as straightforward as wiring up the TX and RX pins to a DSUB9 male connector according to something like this? Or do I have to include something like a MAX3232 chip in the mix as well? I'm fine with the pi supporting only a fixed baud/parity/etc configuration and having the external device reconfigured to match if that's what it takes.
I don't want a console running over serial, I need to talk to some devices over serial, and this project may end up selling a few thousand units, so I want to keep costs down as much as possible. A USB-Serial adapter here costs around $22, whereas wiring up some pins to a connector would cost almost nothing.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

The TX and RX pins are 3.3V logic while RS232 is +/- 12V so you'll want a MAX3232 to do level conversion.

theperminator posted:

If going to a DB9 connector you will most likely need a max232 as you generally don't see TTL level serial over DB9

Is the 12V thing something that's a hard and fast rule, or is it something that would be device dependent... i.e. would there be some devices that would be tolerant to only receiving ~3V or does it literally just not work without 12V? Do the USB-serial adapters actually step up the voltage from 5V to 12V or do they just pass on 5V and hope things work (which would also explain why my USB-serial cable is so flaky all the time)?
I guess I'd need to wire it up and see if it actually works with a couple of devices for myself.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
Cool, thanks for the info.

We already have everything working with devices connecting over usb direct as well as RS232 using a usb-serial converter cable, but the cost of including one of those cables in each unit is concerning, which is why we're looking at alternatives. I'm a software guy, not an electronics guy :)

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
I've worked on a couple of projects using raspberry pi's in environments where they could lose power unpredictably, and I can tell you that card corruption is a very real thing. We've gotten to the point where we have / and /boot mounted read-only, and only have a little scratch partition writable for processing stuff... doing that has brought corruption issues down to pretty much zero - the only issues we have now are when the cards have physical issues. In our case, we have these things in some fairly remote places, and having to drive half a day to swap out a corrupt card is not good at all. Certain brands seem to work better than others, certain batches from the same brands seem to work better than others. The only way you can properly safeguard yourself from a corrupt card is by either shutting down cleanly each time, or have the entire operating system on a read-only filesystem so it can't really get corrupted anyways.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

37th Chamber posted:

I really have to ask... why? Why not just install the JDK on the computer you're already carrying around instead?

Echoing this... I have a few projects that I use the pi for, all written in c/c++ and they take ages to compile on the pi. The latest one is upwards of a minute for building on the pi, when the equivalent code on my i5 laptop builds in around a few seconds at the most.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

ickna posted:

I can’t speak to a compact standard keyboard but the RIi touchpad / keyboard combo that looks like a game controller has worked well for many Pi’s and HTPCs for me.

Seconded. I've had a Rii mini X1 for a few years and it works great. Battery lasts forever. The only downside is that the wireless signal is severely affected if there's a USB3 device plugged into a USB3 port nearby, but on a Pi that's not going to be a factor. This thing stays in my bag permanently and it's been extremely useful very often.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
I've done a couple of projects which involved deploying a number of pi's into sketchy environments where the power could go at any moment. We had a reasonable number of them fail at random because the SD cards became corrupt. Some of them could be recovered, in the sense that we could re-image the cards and put them back out in the field, but there were a number of cards that couldn't be re-imaged either, they had to be tossed. I was never able to corrupt my own test cards despite trying very hard to do so, but the failures happened in the field fairly often.
My solution was to tweak the filesystem layout so that the OS and my applications were stored on read-only partitions, and I had a writeable partition for storing temporary files. When I needed to push an application update, the update script would remount the root fs as read-write, update whichever files, and then reboot, which mounted the root fs read-only again. This dropped the corruption rate dramatically.

I hardly do any dev on the pi's any more, but I have a Pi2B without the read-only root partition shenanigans running Plex Media Server, Transmission, OpenVPN, PiHole and Squid in my home office 24x7, and it's survived a few random power outages without any issue.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

Guillermus posted:

Did Microsoft ever release a Windows version for this? Out of curiosity.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/Downloads

It's not a standard Windows 10 build though. There's no desktop, and iirc no CLI either. You build an IoT application and deploy to the Pi, and it runs. It's meant for a single-purpose device, rather than a general purpose computer.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

It's just fine for your use case, but the reason people tend to use Pi's is the GPIO, and from there it gets to horrifying failure modes pretty quick. Also I've no idea what the package update pipeline is, but my guess is "not great"

Actually, I think a lot of the reasons people tend to use Pi's in "production" scenarios is because they're dead cheap for a full-blown (albeit low-powered) PC + HDMI out in a tiny form factor. They may not be the best fit device for many of the applications they end up being used for but they're good and cheap enough that people will work around the warts to make things work.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
I've had great success in Linux iso retrieval using Transmission daemon on a rpi and connecting from my laptops using either the browser ui or transmission windows store app.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

Mantle posted:

Which guide did you follow for the read only boot thing?

I did something similar a while back, although not network boot, and on a Model B/B+, not a Zero - What we found from experience was that RO partitions wouldn't get corrupted, so I just edited the fstab so that it mounted / and /boot as read-only, and I shrunk / down to create space for a separate writable partition. This was for a display type application, so whenever updates were available, we'd download the update to the writable partition, remount / as writable, copy the update across, and then remount as read-only. So there's only a small window period of a few seconds where there's a risk of corruption.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

I’m working on getting my octoprint setup to not write much at all, especially “ambiently” like logging telemetry pings, so that I won’t worry as much about it being suddenly turned off when I turn off the printer’s power supply it’s driven from. Sending syslog over the network to an influx instance is probably enough to get most of it, but I may have to get the timelapse snapshots written to a ramdisk first or something.

Is it worth putting a USB key in for “noisy” storage, or is that just going to have the same problem with wear? I don’t know if there’s a material difference in the NAND that’s used, or if they’re manufactured to different standards if you choose the right brands. (I feel like this has been covered in this thread, but I can’t find it.)

I think I’ve mentioned this in the thread in the past, but what I’ve done with great success is to mount the root filesystem readonly, and only remount writable when the os or software needs an update. Then use a separate writable partition for transient data files, and redirect logging to a NAS or cloud environment if the logs are important or /tmp if not (to avoid overworking the same set of storage cells in the writable partition with log writes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
On the topic of pihole config, how does it relate to dns over http? I’ve got mine set up using cloudflared as its resolver but I’m not clear as to how that relates to doh requests initiated by a browser on my pc for example.

I could be wrong but my understanding is that if a browser decides to use doh by default then those requests won’t go via the pihole and won’t get filtered. Is that the case, and if so, is there a way to get the pihole to handle doh requests as well? And how would I configure the clients on my network to use the pihole as it’s doh resolver by default?