Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
People ran some benchmark tests with that case and it seems to be as effective as a case with a fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It looks like there's some bug in the 64bit version where it doesn't see USB devices (the 32bit version works fine), so I'll hold out until that's fixed.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
You could also try to use Kodi to handle the video streaming, the UI is meant for use on a TV. My TV isn't 4k but it's readable enough at 1080p.

Unrelated: I tried to install Ubuntu on my pi 4 (mostly to see if I could get an up-to-date Firefox to see how it handles YouTube videos) but entering the default login gave me a "login incorrect" message :confused:
I'm not sure if I did something wrong or what it was so I just went back to Raspbian.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 7, 2019

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I must have messed up somewhere when I copied the disk image to the Pi's SD card, I guess.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
For the OS, Raspbian should be all you need. Kodi and Steamlink are included in its repos already. Moonlight, Parsec (a quick look on the site says it's not tested for the Pi 4) and Retropie you can install manually.

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's possible to control Kodi, Steamlink and Retropie with either a gamepad or a remote, but I'm not sure about Raspbian itself. You might need a wireless keyboard.

I'm using a Logitech keyboard for Raspbian and this remote app to control Kodi. I tried Steamlink with a wired Xbox 360 gamepad so I'm sure a Dual Shock should work as well for that.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 9, 2019

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Takes No Damage posted:

So in trying to figure out how I can best shuffle hardware around, can I take my Raspbian and RetroPi SD cards from my 3 and just stick them into a Pi 4 and get an instant upgrade, or would I have to reinstall on the Pi 4?

You could make a backup of your home folder and give it a try but it's a pretty radical change of hardware so it might cause issues? Even if you do have to reinstall, you should be able to get everything back as it was very quickly from the home folder backup.

Takes No Damage posted:

Also about the USB-C issues with 4, if I'm just going to get the official Raspberry power supply anyway is there any other reason I should wait for a 1.1 hardware update?

Nope, I got the official power supply too and experienced no issues.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Here's something nice: Introducing Raspberry Pi Imager, our new imaging utility

quote:

From today, Raspberry Pi users will be able to download and use the new Raspberry Pi Imager, available for Windows, macOS and Ubuntu.

The utility is simple to use and super speedy, thanks to some shortcuts we’ve introduced into the mechanics.

Firstly, Raspberry Pi Imager downloads a .JSON file from our website with a list of all current download options, ensuring you are always installing the most up-to-date version.

Once you’ve selected an operating system from the available options, the utility reads the relevant file directly from our website and writes it straight to the SD card. This speeds up the process quite considerably compared to the standard process of reading it from the website, writing it to a file on your hard drive, and then, as a separate step, reading it back from the hard drive and writing it to the SD card.

During this process, Raspberry Pi Imager also caches the downloaded operating system image – that is to say, it saves a local copy on your computer, so you can program additional SD cards without having to download the file again.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
There's now a 8GB variant of the Raspberry Pi 4, priced at $75

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Varkk posted:

Was just about to post that. Still no 64 bit Raspbian though. They say the 32bit PAE kernel can allow different processes to use more memory. And suggest Gentoo or Ubuntu if you want 64bit.

It's buried at the end of the announcement but they're also working on a 64bit version of the OS:

quote:

Not to be left out, today we’ve released an early beta of our own 64-bit operating system image. This contains the same set of applications and the same desktop environment that you’ll find in our regular 32-bit image, but built against the Debian arm64 port.

Both our 32-bit and 64-bit operating system images have a new name: Raspberry Pi OS. As our community grows, we want to make sure it’s as easy as possible for new users to find our recommended operating system for Raspberry Pi. We think the new name will help more people feel confident in using our computers and our software. An update to the Raspberry Pi Desktop for all our operating system images is also out today, and we’ll have more on that in tomorrow’s blog post.

It's only a beta and it seems to have some big drawbacks at the moment:

quote:

Known issues
1) There is no hardware video acceleration in VLC or Chromium
2) libraspberrypi0, libraspberrypi-dev and libraspberrypi-doc have been moved out of /opt/vc/* and into /usr/* instead (making it more standard). Any code built against these libraries will require changing to refer to a more standard location (/usr/lib/ rather than /opt/vc/lib)
3) raspberrypi-bootloader and raspberrypi-kernel contain useless non-64bit binaries and is missing the work done to minimise the delay between files being deleted and installed to /boot

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

VictualSquid posted:

Home-computing has come full circle.

Considering that this, again, feels optimally placed in turning an existing TV into a computer, the fact that the pi has (I heard) problems with youtube playback is a big problem.

The regular Pi 4 is probably still better for this use case because you can stick it under the TV and use a wireless keyboard and mouse with it. You could do it with the Pi 400 too, but it takes more room.

But it's impressive that you can get a basic computer for what, 200 bucks if you have to buy a screen? And it cools a lot better than the Pi 4, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Raspbian is rather behind on Kodi versions as well. I switched over to OSMC a few months ago because I was tired of waiting for Kodi 19.