Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I would like to create a dawn simulator/wake up light alarm clock since the ones by Philips suck. I found a few youtube vids of people doing something similar with source code linked. I have never messed with any RPs before and am a complete noob. What are the best resources available to learn to do my first build as well as parts sellers etc? I think Python is the go-to language for programming a Pi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Aren't smart lights wifi? I really don't want to crowd my wifi network anymore than it is. If they are bluetooth are they reliable? Bluetooth would unpair for me in the past randomly. Since I'd use it as an alarm I need something very reliable.

I would want some light that would create a bright enough light to wake me up, 300 lux let's say, and can dim.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
So you suggest for the light using a smart lightbulb. How about for a speaker?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Hadlock posted:

Get set of neopixels

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1487

Find some code (probably in python, preferably 3.6+) that will run each pixel at the same color, then decide you start and end colors, run a for loop with a delay inside

Then run the python script from a cron job to execute at X time

This assumes you live on the equator where the sun rises at the same time every day

Your neopixel will likely require a dedicated 5v power supply, 5 amps, LEDs suck more juice than the pi can provide

The sun doesn't need to rise at the same time every day. But I do.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them. I guess I should be more specific about what I'm trying to accomplish. I would like a device to go from dark to light over a time period of 30 minutes or more and play a sound that gradually gets louder at the same time every morning. I would also like a screen telling me the time. If a clock + smart bulb + some speaker hooked up to my iphone with some sound playing program is the way to go I'm fine with that. It'd just be nice to have it as an all-in-one device. The reason I'm not looking at current dawn simulators/wake up lights on the market is because I've had 2 and they seem to go bad after a year which really isn't good because I'd rather show up to work on time.

Also I don't mind learning new things. I have some basic familiarity with soldering, putting computer parts together, and coding.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 30, 2017

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
set up pi with docker, portainer, pihole. feels nice. what are some other cool and useful projects

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
pihole and portainer are both in containers. portainer is there for babys first container management tool. i dont necessarily need docker but the ability to plop a container where i need at some point will be nice since i plan to move the pihole to a pi zero. also i want to get docker experience since we dont use docker at work.

i also set up home assistant in a container last night as well and started configuring that with the couple smart home items we own.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 8, 2020

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Most sites don't react the way you would think where they tell you to disable your ad blocker and prevent you from using the site. The request for the ad fails so things just don't load at all. Sometimes this will break the design of the site where there will be a large empty space. If you ever need to turn it off, the pi-hole web app admin interface has a convenient disable function where you can disable it for any amount of time from 1 minute to hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
if you are wanting to access your calibre server running on docker you will need to set your router to expose you pi through some port. the 192.168.x.x address you are probably using is your local network address. the ip address to access your network from the outside will be different. also you need to set up docker to expose apps through specific ports as well.