Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Haha. The good news: not actually pushed back to August. The bad news: we actually have no loving clue when this will ship, and also is this a hole in the ground or my sphincter I can't tell http://www.element14.com/community/message/48186#48186/l/re-update-on-newark-element14-customers-delivery-date-of-august-2012-questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

greenman100 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalability

They were only able to purchase 10k units up front. These guys mortgaged their houses to do it. Now that those 10k sold, they can afford time at larger manufacturing plants.

They're funded by a giant multinational semiconductor company as a PR move. Why the gently caress would they need to do that?

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

I keep cooking up new little ideas and realizing I don't have all the components on hand. Then by the time I get to a parts supplier site, I'm too worried about forgetting something or changing my plan, that its hard to submit an order since shipping costs are so high relative to actual parts price.

I need like, "Mouser Prime" or someone needs to sell a serious assortment of connectors and components like a Lego set.

Digikey has pretty good shipping options I think. I'm not 100% sure since I'm in Canada where their shipping options are loving AMAZING ($8 flat-rate next-day, free on orders over $200) but I think they're pretty good in the US too.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Does anyone know of any Pi cases that can be cut on a CNC instead of a laser? (ie, no right-angle interior corners).

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

KrautHedge posted:

This case is all just flat pieces http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:24461

It snaps together easily and looks pretty nice.

Nnnnnnnnnope, that one has lots of 90 degree interior corners.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Rather than cutting up a SNES controller, you can build the equivalent circuit out of two easy to obtain microchips:

http://www.gamesx.com/controldata/nessnes.htm

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Rubiks Pubes posted:

It does show up with --list-devices and I can adjust the mic gain in alsamixer. I can't figure out how to send function keys in the OSX terminal as far as choosing the sound card in alsamixer.

Go into your system preferences, then Keyboard, and check "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys."

Edit: or just hold down the fn key in the lower left of your keyboard when pressing F3 or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Amberskin posted:

If you use a raspi and do a lot of SD-swapping you will have noticed the SD reader is really crapy and breaks easily. I'm quite clumsy so I managed to break one of my rapsberries this way. After some googling, I found a suitable replacement for the builtin plastic one and tried to replace it.

Of course, I managed to burn a pad and part of a track when I desoldered the broken piece, and ended soldering the new one in all but that broken pad (which happens to be one of the two which are used to sense the presence of a card in the SD reader). Now I just need to short that track with its neighbour (so the raspi will think there is ALWAYS a card, which is acceptable), but of course i'd need to somehow repair the broken track, at least to expose it so I can do the short.

Anyone around has experience fixing this sort of things? Is it posible to fix anyway? I have found references about a "PCB track repairing" pen, but it costs more than a new R-pi...

If any of the track is left on the non-burnt side, scrape the solder mask (the green stuff) off the copper and solder some 30 gauge wire from there to the SD card pin. This is a bit tricky, but cheap.